Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
TON3R

Default Monster Effects

If a monster says it is +2 against elves, and you and your helper are both elves, does the monster get +2 for each of you?

I originally thought so, but reading through the Munchkin Fu rules, under asking for help, it says that Hong Kong Cong is a +4 if a Samurai helps you, unless you are also a Samurai and his strength had already been increased.

Thanks!
TON3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Monster Effects

Yeah, monsters don't get the bonus against one thing twice, even if both players in the combat are that thing. However, if the monster got +2 against Elves and +2 against Dwarves, then it would be +4 against an Elf and a Dwarf.

I thought the first case was covered in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it. The second is covered, and confirms what I said.

Quote:
Q. Do combat bonuses that monsters receive against Races or Classes stack? For example, if a monster gets +4 against Dwarves and +4 against Elves and I'm a half-Dwarf/half-Elf, does that monster get +8 in combat against me?
A. Unless it says otherwise on the card itself, monster combat bonuses do stack. This means that the above monster would be a +8. (Fair warning: this is a change from previous discussions, but it IS the official ruling henceforth.)

Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I thought the first case was covered in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it.
That's because it's explicitly stated in the rules, in the same section of the Munchkin rules as was referred to in the Munchkin Fu rules by the OP. . .

But, here's the Munchkin version of things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
But if you are facing the Drooling Slime and an Elf helps you, the monster’s combat strength is increased by 4 (unless you, too, are an Elf and the monster’s combat strength has already been increased).
So the general ruling is that a Monster's bonus against a thing only ever gets counted once unless it very explicitly says otherwise (a bonus per Elf, for example). Hence, as was stated before, a +2 against Dwarves and Elves is treated as +2 against Dwarves, +2 against Elves, and the monster would be +4 against a Dwarf and an Elf, or a Half-Breed Dwarf-Elf, but only +2 against two Dwarves or two Elves.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-25-2013 at 04:27 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
TON3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, monsters don't get the bonus against one thing twice, even if both players in the combat are that thing. However, if the monster got +2 against Elves and +2 against Dwarves, then it would be +4 against an Elf and a Dwarf.

I thought the first case was covered in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it. The second is covered, and confirms what I said.
Ok, thanks!
TON3R is offline   Reply With Quote