Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Jadefire

Default Ordering effects in Munchkin Classic

I'm looking for an official ruling as to when players can play cards. The ordering of when players can announce that they want to make a play and in which order is not explained clearly in the rules.

My opponent who is a level 9 Cleric has just played a Wand of Dousing with Divine Intervention in the discard pile. Assuming that the Wand is instantaneous and must completely finish taking effect before anyone (even the person who played it) can play another effect, is there any time to play a Duck of Doom or any level lowering effect before the Divine Intervention gets played and the game ends?

We've been handling most situations on a first come first served basis, meaning that whoever can announce their play first gets to make their play even if the active player had multiple successive plays that they could've chained together. In the event of Wand of Dousing for Divine Intervention, since the Divine Intervention stipulates that it must be played immediately, we've treated this as an exception to the rule so that it is a mandatory immediate play following the Wand of Dousing with no room to squeeze in any other effects in between.

Bonus question: Is the assumption that effects must completely finish before other plays can be announced correct? i.e. could I have Duck of Doomed my opponent while she was looking through the discards for Wand of Dousing because that would add a card to the discards for her to choose from and potentially change the card that she would take.
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote