Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
damon

Default help pricing jumper limitation

I want to have a character with world jumper, but with the limitation that he can only jump to a specific, predetermined place (Infinity HQ) and nowhere else. A sort of failsafe so he doesn't fall into the wrong hands (originally put in place by reich-5 but, after a lot of work, reprogrammed by infinity when he switched sides). this is an extreme form of limited access.. IW suggests that access to 2 earths should be -25, but access to only one location on a specific world.. i think at least -30. but what do you guys think? The character generator maxes out limited access at 25, but this is more limited than that for sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: help pricing jumper limitation

Powers (p89) calls this Anchored for the Warp advantage and rates it at -80% for a single, fixed site. It might be applicable in some manner to Jumper also, but note that unless you are combining Warp with Jumper, the default assumption for the latter advantage is that you appear in a spot analogous to the one you Jumped from.

Last edited by Not another shrubbery; 01-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
PK

Just wanted to "me too" this. Jumpers don't travel in space -- they travel from world to world, without moving. If you jump between worlds from an ocean liner in the middle of the Atlantic, you're almost certainly going to end up very wet!

So what you want here is Jumper (World; Limited, Homeline, -30%; Warp Jump, +10%) [80] and Warp (Anchored, Infinity HQ, -80%; Warp Jump, +10%) [30].

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
So what you want here is Jumper (World; Limited, Homeline, -30%; Warp Jump, +10%) [80] and Warp (Anchored, Infinity HQ, -80%; Warp Jump, +10%) [30].
Isn't Warp Jump +100%?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander
Isn't Warp Jump +100%?
No. It's just Link (+10%) with a different name.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Jerander

Quote:
No. It's just Link (+10%) with a different name.
Crap. I guess that means I'll have to adjust a bunch of template costs...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
damon

Quote:
Just wanted to "me too" this. Jumpers don't travel in space -- they travel from world to world, without moving. If you jump between worlds from an ocean liner in the middle of the Atlantic, you're almost certainly going to end up very wet!

there's no way in hell the advantage i described is worth 110 points.. is there?

eh maybe it is. there's enough limitations i can pile on to get it pretty low

Last edited by damon; 01-19-2008 at 12:06 AM.
damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon
there's no way in hell the advantage i described is worth 110 points.. is there?
That does seem to be the "by the book" value. I agree that it does seem kind of high. Maybe allowing the Anchored limit to apply to Jumper also would be more suitable.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon

eh maybe it is. there's enough limitations i can pile on to get it pretty low
Are you kidding?

"No matter where I am -- no matter what dimension I'm in -- no matter what restraints I'm under -- I can return home just by thinking happy thoughts for ten seconds."

Heck yes that's worth 110 points. It's basically a guarantee that the PC can escape any situation whatsoever, given a few seconds of time. No jail can hold him. If his companions are injured or the situation changes, he can immediately go get help, whether that means coming back with Infinity medics or with Special Operations I-Cops. It's very powerful.

(And no, you can't apply the Anchored limitation to Jumper for what you want -- for Jumper, Anchored could only be interpreted as "you have to already be in this one, specific spot before you can try to jump" -- which would be worth -80%, sure, but also wouldn't do what you described.)

Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
"No matter where I am -- no matter what dimension I'm in -- no matter what restraints I'm under -- I can return home just by thinking happy thoughts for ten seconds."

Heck yes that's worth 110 points. It's basically a guarantee that the PC can escape any situation whatsoever, given a few seconds of time. No jail can hold him. If his companions are injured or the situation changes, he can immediately go get help, whether that means coming back with Infinity medics or with Special Operations I-Cops. It's very powerful.

(And no, you can't apply the Anchored limitation to Jumper for what you want -- for Jumper, Anchored could only be interpreted as "you have to already be in this one, specific spot before you can try to jump" -- which would be worth -80%, sure, but also wouldn't do what you described.)
Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with a claim that the value, by the rules given, should come out so high. I would contend with a claim that that value is a fair representation of the utility of the trait, which looks to be inferior to the base version of either of the two advantages that comprise it. A character with Jumper and Warp potentially can go anywhere in the multiverse, whereas this character can always only go to one single destination. That's a tremendous drop in potential destinations, which should correspond (IMO) with a proportional discount. It certainly seems just as limiting (percentage wise) to the Warp/Jumper to be so hindered as it is to the Warper.

Tags
anchored