Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
David Latapie

Default Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Hello,

Kromm often gives useful comments and pieces of advice on this board. Problem is, they are all scattered around.

I stumbled upon the (very incomplete) GURPS wikia, which gathers such notes. See, for instance, the entry for Ambidexterity.

If, like me, you appreciate a centralized reference, I hope you will keep this address in mind and contribute to the "Krommledge base" by adding reference next time you'll find such Kromm note on the board.

Thanks!
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
Hello,

Kromm often gives useful comments and pieces of advice on this board. Problem is, they are all scattered around.

I stumbled upon the (very incomplete) GURPS wikia, which gathers such notes. See, for instance, the entry for Ambidexterity.

If, like me, you appreciate a centralized reference, I hope you will keep this address in mind and contribute to the "Krommledge base" by adding reference next time you'll find such Kromm note on the board.

Thanks!
It's no problem to send them on, but learning to integrate them into a new repository may be more work than many people are going to find worthwhile.

http://home.comcast.net/~tfoster118/KrommComm.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200707022...rommnotes.org/

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
David Latapie

Thanks for the links! A wikia is easier to update than a website. But ideally, Krommnotes.org should be included in the wiki too, as long as they still make sense (which means a tag system, keeping track of evolution...) Quite a long, long work...

Anyway, I updated the Sean Punch entry with these links as well, as an example for others, the Animal Empathy and Animal Friend entries.

Last edited by David Latapie; 02-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Grouchy Chris

Thanks for noticing. It has been my ambition to expand the wiki so that it includes an article on every advantage, disadvantage, and skill, giving citations for every book that mentions it, and links to everything relevant Kromm has had to say about it. Most of the entries on the traits are my doing, but I'm sorry to have to say that my attention to this project waxes and wanes and it's been a while since I made any progress. So far, I've gotten through the alphabet as far as Criminology.

I'm going to keep going, but a wiki is not supposed to be a one-man project, so if anyone else wants to join in, please do.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
David Latapie

A critical mass must be reached for it to take off. Sadly, I have neither idea nor energy to help it reach the said critical mass.

Thanks anyway for the wiki. One day, maybe someone will take over.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
It has been my ambition to expand the wiki so that it includes an article on every advantage, disadvantage, and skill, giving citations for every book that mentions it, and links to everything relevant Kromm has had to say about it.
If this is you intention with the wiki, you should probably say so on the wiki. Currently on the front page, it says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by About GURPS Wikia
GURPS Wiki is just a place to find or share NPCs, Characters, Stories or any other GURPS-related resource.
Which really is far less interesting and far far less ambitions than what you mention here. I have strolled past the wiki before, but never though it was intended for more than what it say, and so ignored it.

Last edited by Maz; 02-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Dammann

I registered and will start contributing. I imagine my own enthusiasm will wax and wane as well, but this seems like a good way to study the system.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
David Latapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Which really is far less interesting and far far less ambitions than what you mention here. I have strolled past the wiki before, but never though it was intended for more than what it say, and so ignored it.
I took the initiative to update the front page accordingly. I hope it will encourage newcomers to participate and old-timers to come again ;)
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
That's all 3e stuff, though, and I haven't maintained it in years.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Have you given any thought to breaking up the task between multiple contributors? You could use a dictionary approach and assign letters to contributors for an initial push so one might research and post on all skills that start with M. The method used by the Oxford English Dictionary (detailed in the book The Professor and the Madman) would work well for this I think.

After an initial push to get some stuff up you can put people in charge of sections of the alphabetical listings and they note deficiencies and make calls for volunteers to fill in the gaps. "Would someone please check Martial Arts for references to the skill Stealth?" etc.

Tags
kromm, kromm answer, kromm explanation, reference, wikia