Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
whswhs

Default Re: FASERIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Aquaman is also superstrong, he can spy on anyone who keeps fish, and recovered sunken treasure will buy a damn nice salt-water pool.
The Aquaman of the 1950s and 1960s wasn't super-strong that I remember; at least, I never saw him bending steel bars or punching through armor or anything. If he wanted massive force used, he'd call a whale or a giant squid or something of the sort.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Responding to the original post: Yes, I do recognize the reference to Marvel Super Heroes. It and the old Mayfair DC Heroes game were my favorites for comic-book style roleplaying. I still have both sets.

With Marvel, the system was intuitive and the fact that your experience points were also your "luck points" did a lot to reinforce the comic-book tradition of characters staying roughly the same over a period of adventures. I never used Ultimate Powers as anything but a reference; my big criticism was of High-Tech Wonders, whom it seemed had to have a battlesuit to even hope to be competitive without a lot of work from the GM.

Fun system overall, though. I'd love to pull it out again sometime.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The Aquaman of the 1950s and 1960s wasn't super-strong that I remember; at least, I never saw him bending steel bars or punching through armor or anything. If he wanted massive force used, he'd call a whale or a giant squid or something of the sort.
I don't remember any such instances during that period, either (not to say they don't exist), but Golden Age Aquaman was often depicted as both superhumanly durable and much stronger than any normal human. The levels of that durability and strength fluctuated quite a bit from story to story, of course. The Aquaman Cover Gallery has title page or cover art from a lot of his appearances through the years, as well as story synopses for many of them... well worth the price of admission :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #44
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
And that requires top-quality psychedelic drugs.
Not really. You've only got 2-6 powers to unify, and many can be rethemed easily given AMSH's broad powers.

They're not so hard.

Here's a fresh rolled example for you (rolls made using the Catchyourhare.com dice roller)
Rolls: 31 ty, 92 F, 89 A, 41 S, 52 E, 25 R, 66 I, 89 P, 49 Res, 43 #pow, 66 #tal, 58 #con, 56 P1c, 4 P1t, 06 P1r, 82 P2c, 1 P2t, 66 P3r, 95 P4c, 5 P4t, 33 P4r, 96 T1c, 7 T1t, 52 T2c, 4 t2t

Name: Johnny "Fire Ant" Sledge
Type: Mutant (+1 Power, -1r Res, Pop=0)
F In (36)
A In (36)
S Ex (16)
E Ex (16)
R Gd (8)
I Rm (26)
P In (36)

Health 104
Karma 70
Res Poor
Pop 0

4 Powers (3 from roll +1 for mutant, from 3/4 to 4/5)
2 Talents
1 contact

Powers
1: (distance attack) Fire Generation Pr (3)
(Picking Stunt) Absorb Fire and Heat stunt
2: (Body Alt.-off) Extra body parts (picking) Claws
3: (bonus) Claws Rm (26) (Material Strength In 36)
4: (Body Alt-Def) Absorption Gd (8) (Picking Fire damage)

Talents
1 (Other Skill) Repair/Tinkering
2 (Professional Skill) Military

Contacts
1 (picked) Police - Chief of Detectives
2 (bonus from PS Military) Military Contact - Captain Josiah Sledge
I think he's "Fire Ant"... he's not tough, but he is a fire user, and so the fire absorption is a good idea. Stacking with the attack stunt, he can boost his attack and for sure absorb 8points of fire, with the stunt, pull another 3 off, and then channel any excess into extra damage to opponents. Hit him with a fire blast... Johnny joined the National Guard at 16, and only then did his powers trigger. As his claws developed, his CO and cousin, Cpt. Sledge decided to keep him in, but move him to "special duty"- he pulls details that keep him away from the other troops. Normally, this is weeday drills to repair stuff broken on the weekends.

Johnny makes just enough to keep himself off the streets. Josiah is aware of his cousin's heroic activities, and will assist in strange ways.

In his "Fire Ant" getup, he adds a bug-eyed mask with fake mandibles.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I was covering the general Silver Age and Superfriends concepts up through the time of the MSH games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman_in_popular_media

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #46
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
He can (or could; not sure about post-Flash Point/New 52) also stun anybody that was evolved from sea-life (including Martians!) by communicating with the primitive parts of their brains. He's also the Head-of-State of a powerful, wealthy nation with advanced technology.
The fridge logic being, of course, "Wait, didn't pretty much everything on earth evolve from sea-life?"
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #47
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
He can (or could; not sure about post-Flash Point/New 52) also stun anybody that was evolved from sea-life (including Martians!) by communicating with the primitive parts of their brains.
No, he can't. That one of those situations where a character demonstrates a power in a single comic book and it is never heard of again. Like Magnetos power to control blood and through it minds. Aquaman was super-strong during the Golden and Silver ages though. He just suffered from being on a team with Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-16-2012 at 08:49 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #48
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Except you have to be sky-high to come up with a unifying theme for any randomly generated superhero.
Actually in Advanced MSH, you were supposed to pick your specific powers from a randomly determined category of powers such as "Distance Attack" or "Offensive Body Part" so it wasn't hard to come up with a unifying theme. In Villains and Vigilantes you randomly rolled powers, but then you dropped the one or two that fit least well.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #49
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually in Advanced MSH, you were supposed to pick your specific powers from a randomly determined category of powers such as "Distance Attack" or "Offensive Body Part" so it wasn't hard to come up with a unifying theme. In Villains and Vigilantes you randomly rolled powers, but then you dropped the one or two that fit least well.
They're often vague enough, and with enough freedom within the specific powers, to roll them all in AMSH.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #50
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
The fridge logic being, of course, "Wait, didn't pretty much everything on earth evolve from sea-life?"
Maybe they were Creationists? :)

Tags
marvel, supers