Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Shields

I have a player that wants to make a tank type character with an iron shield. He saw the shields in basic, chose a large shield and upgraded it to an iron shield according to the rules on B 287. Another player of mine said that the same large shield in Low Tech pg 116 has different stats.

Which rules generally supersede which for a DF type game?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
I have a player that wants to make a tank type character with an iron shield. He saw the shields in basic, chose a large shield and upgraded it to an iron shield according to the rules on B 287. Another player of mine said that the same large shield in Low Tech pg 116 has different stats.

The rules in the DFRPG are the rules for the DFRPG, so none of those.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post

Look at the base shield weight, cost, etc. and see which book it best matches.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

See Adventurers p.107: a Dwarven Large Shield costs $450 and weighs 50 lbs.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
See Adventurers p.107: a Dwarven Large Shield costs $450 and weighs 50 lbs.
Dwarven is the way to go if you want to play the DFRPG way. Dwarven shields are made of iron. This is the same as Gurps:DF. If you're a Dwarf, they're cheaper too.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

This forum is for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, which is self-contained. No GURPS book is relevant here.

In the DFRPG, you get a metal shield by applying the dwarven, meteoric, or orichalcum modifier; see Adventurers, p. 107. Dwarven and meteoric shields are heavy and give +1 damage with bashes and rushes; orichalcum shields are light, and consequently give no damage bonus, but they make it dangerous to try a parry against a bash or rush because they're harder than everything but other orichalcum. All three are fireproof and all three are cheaper to make mirrored.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

In the DFRPG, you get a metal shield by applying the dwarven, meteoric, or orichalcum modifier; see Adventurers, p. 107. Dwarven and meteoric shields are heavy and give +1 damage with bashes and rushes; orichalcum shields are light, and consequently give no damage bonus, but they make it dangerous to try a parry against a bash or rush because they're harder than everything but other orichalcum.
But of course, staggeringly expensive. I'm curious about something - are all gear modifiers obvious? If I'm using an orichalum shield, is everyone aware it will likely break a weapon parrying it?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Stone Dog

I'd say if somebody knows what orichalcum is in the first place, it would be obvious on sight. You'd have to purposefully disguise it to fool anybody in the know.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
But of course, staggeringly expensive. I'm curious about something - are all gear modifiers obvious? If I'm using an orichalum shield, is everyone aware it will likely break a weapon parrying it?
See Superior Weapons and Armor under Identifying the Good Stuff, Exploits p. 25.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I'd say if somebody knows what orichalcum is in the first place, it would be obvious on sight. You'd have to purposefully disguise it to fool anybody in the know.
Well, enchantments included in Adventurers are commonly known, so I would expect the same would hold true for weapon quality. Whether they would recognize it is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
See Superior Weapons and Armor under Identifying the Good Stuff, Exploits p. 25.
Good point though that assumes investigating gear post-combat. I wonder if that would work in combat.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shields