Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Colarmel

Default Horses?

The riding skill shows up in a few professions, as does the vow to own no more than a horse can carry.

Am I missing an explanation of what a horse can carry, or what benefits riding one can give, or where one can be bought?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Horses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
The riding skill shows up in a few professions, as does the vow to own no more than a horse can carry.

Am I missing an explanation of what a horse can carry, or what benefits riding one can give, or where one can be bought?
I'm pretty sure you're missing nothing. A quick search of Adventurers and Exploits only reveals that you need spend $4,000 for "a pair of horses" (p. 16) to haul a half-ton in a wagon.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
adm

This is a rather irritating oversight.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
demonsbane

Here the Basic Set: Campaigns book, covering horses, looks like a requirement. Of course this never has been a problem for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, unlike the standalone Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
This is a rather irritating oversight.
Indeed. It would seem that if sales warrant supplemental product, the first should be a book of monsters, which would include horses. Indeed, even Monsters & Treasure included stats for four kinds of horses and mules.

My GURPS blog.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
zuljita

I noticed this some time ago, but never got around to saying something about it.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Phil Masters

If you've got the option of Riding skill, but no detailed rules for using it in action, or stats for horses, then the DF thing to do is probably offer situations in which it gives a quick mechanical benefit. Say, off the top of my head...

Characters can rent horses for $10 a day each, including upkeep. There's a network of livery stables with mutual trust, so you can pick up in one place and drop off in another. They halve travel times between The Town and The Dungeon or whatever, but you'll need one NPC Ally or Hireling for every four horses to tend them while you go into the dungeon (and those NPCs will of course need their own horses). The entire party must make a Riding roll for every day of travel; on a failure, lose 1d FP that can only be restored by a full night's rest, and on a critical failure, you also take 1-2 points of damage from a fall. It's up to the GM to set up situations where travel time is important.

Expand from these rules for things like monster attacks on horses once you have stats for the things.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Characters can rent horses for $10 a day each, including upkeep.
They're gonna need twice that in food, per this.

My GURPS blog.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Bruno

If we were looking at PDF support, a 24 page PDF with fleshed out rules for riding and a wide variety of fantasy-appropriate mounts for newbs through to elite delvers would be pretty good. You could probably get it to 36 pages with horse/warg/whatever furniture (including items of quality), and 42 with magic items related to mounts and mounted combat.

Other things to pad it out to something like 64 pages would be: rules for capturing and taming wild monsters to be mounts; Cleric, Druid, and Wizard spells for summoning/creating mounts and making riding/mounted combat easier or posher; an entire mount-focused profession and/or "upgrade" lenses for the existing templates (knights, scouts, and barbarians in particular cry out for it; cool riding and mounted combat related power-ups.

More stuff that could go in if you need to get pagecount up for paper would be an Encounter designed to tutorial mounted combat, and/or a little adventure to send your PCs on a quest to get a cool mount (to help introduce them into an existing game).

For mounts I'm thinking you need a wide range, and they do double-duty as a bestiary.

Real animals, although not all real mounts:
Horses
Camels
Donkeys
Mules
Cattle
Big dogs or wolves
Sled dogs (if we're including carts and chariots)
Elephants
Llamas
Ostriches
Golden Eagles (for halflings?)
Deer
Antelope/Impala
Elk
Moose
Four legged dinosaurs (Triceratopsians and Anclyosaurians)
Two legged dinosaurs (the biggest raptors (like Deinonychus or Deinocherus) and then the spectacular ones like T-Rex or Albertasaurus or Carnotaurus (it has horns and eats meat!) )
A selection of the not-dinosaurs that people confuse for dinosaurs, including flying (Quetzalcoatlus!!) and perhaps even swimming creatures

Fictional stuff:
Really giant eagle
Gryphon
Hippogriff
Hippocampus
Dire boars
Giant monitor lizards or giant iguanas (why not both?)
Wall-climbing giant geckos
Giant ants
Giant wasps or dragonflys (why not both?)
Giant butterflies or moths
Enormous snakes (land and water and climbing!)

Giant spiders, wyverns, and dragons are in the monsters book but might need some treatment for mounts, or mount-friendly variants
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
Refplace

Exploits p. 22 under Lifting and Shoving helps with carts and such. The Riding skill is explained in skills, including its benefits.
Mounts are normally limited to Medium Encumberance but I cant find tht in my DFRPG books so that may indeed be an oversight, If not I dont think its in an intuitive place or the index.

And I would buy a mounts book like Bruno suggested. Make sure it includes feeding requirements.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horses, kromm explanation