Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
ScarecrowKing

Default Re: Soft announcement: new Ogre set!

As a KS backer, I have a question. If you had the time to work on this and that Ogre 218 game, where are all the stretch goals we were promised from the KS campaign?
ScarecrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #22
ldj00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The basic Ogre is very suitable to a 3 or 4-player game. I often use it when doing demos with odd numbers of people. A common 3-player game is to take the Mark V scenario and split it into two Mark IIIs against a defense. For 4 players, take that same setup and split the defense in half. It actually makes for some interesting challenges with coordinating tactics.
But multiple players does not mean multiple factions.

Those two Mark IIIs are still on the same side and same faction, working in concert, so the rules of Section 4.04 do not really apply.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
As a KS backer, I have a question. If you had the time to work on this and that Ogre 218 game, where are all the stretch goals we were promised from the KS campaign?
As a Kickstarter Backer may I just say how pleased I am the SJGames have been working towards the KS goal getting an affordable game back into production, and in FLGS so that there is a wider player's base.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #24
HeatDeath

FYI: I have completed my review pass, comparing side-by-side with the quick start rules pdf. My post on page 2 of this thread is now in a reasonably final state.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #25
offsides

Can I just say thank you to HeatDeath? I saw the announcement before putting my kids to bed, and by the time I finally got them to sleep and got back to this he'd already put together a great list so I didn't :P

I'll still try to go over the rules tomorrow and see if I can find anything else, since that's just me, but it's great to see so many people jumping in to help keep Ogre great!

And thank you to SJ & SJG for making it possible for more people to get and love Ogre!
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #26
AstralWanderer

The answer to these queries are presumably "yes" but might still be worth confirming:
  • Will the new set be compatible with the upcoming Ogre DE expansion?
  • Will the new set work with the sponsored counter sheets?
I'd agree with Adm about the desirability of providing a "mainstream" release, not least since it may make it commercially viable to offer more Ogre expansions which the DE (and KS backers) could benefit from. But it would be nice to settle the outstanding KS content soon too...
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #27
ghostofjfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
The "Mark IIIs Attacking" scenario section specifically calls out the possibility of it being the basis for a three player game.
True. For that situation, I think "4.03 Multiplayer sequencing" is the applicable rule.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #28
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
The answer to these queries are presumably "yes" but might still be worth confirming:
I'd agree with Adm about the desirability of providing a "mainstream" release, not least since it may make it commercially viable to offer more Ogre expansions which the DE (and KS backers) could benefit from. But it would be nice to settle the outstanding KS content soon too...
Quote:
Q: This box will be even bigger than the ODE, right? A: No. No, no, no. Aieeee. It will probably be about 11” square by about 4” tall.
FYI, just because I happen to have it out on the gaming table right now, the long edge of a folded Ogre map is 10.4". This suggests strongly, particularly given the 4" depth, that the new game will be using an un- or barely- modified copy of the orange Ogre map from ODE, implying complete compatibility with all existing ODE-scale counters. EDIT: The phrasing "in the Ogre Designer's Edition scale" and "(exactly the same as the one in the ODE)" would seem to clearly imply this as well.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 02-06-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #29
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjfd View Post
True. For that situation, I think "4.03 Multiplayer sequencing" is the applicable rule.
You could play it either way, I think. The Ogres competing for victory points, and shooting each other up as necessary, would make things a little easier on the defender, yet even more interesting for the players.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 02-06-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Q: Will I be able to buy JUST the counter sheets? A: Print buying question. I hope we will be able to offer that 2-sheet set through W23 at a reasonable price, but the amount will be limited.
Depending upon how "limited" the quantities will be for the spare counter sheet set, will there be limits on how many may be purchased or KS-priority windows, not unlike the KS-exclusive sheets that were released on W23 earlier? I see where most of those purchasing the sheets will likely be prior ODE buyers anyway, so this may be moot, but putting it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralWanderer View Post
My understanding is "Yes" to both. That being said, the sponsored sheets are not 'canon' Ogre, even if the counters are fully compatible. This will be official, official. It literally will be an Ogre-only version of ODE.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote