Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
HeatDeath

Default Re: Maps for the NEXT expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJesse View Post
(Ogre factory/breaking yard?)
An Ogre factory or breaking yard is 2 hexes, 3 if it's HHHUUUGGGEEE. (Those hexes are a mile across, remember.) Your best bet for one of those is the multi-hex dome buildings on the Strategic and Tactical Objectives overlay sheet. Linky. [Good news! They still have some!]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 01-07-2016 at 11:31 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #12
Knuckle_Head

I am more than happy to have more G and S maps. What about the san fransisco map, only makes sense with the nihon empire set. As far as maps not fitting together, I beleve the ODE box came with a bunch of overlays, and they are always fun to play with.

On the subjects of overlays I believe I mentioned before but I might as well bring it up again, water overlays. Its easy to cover water up with whats in the box, ts hard to make it bigger (unless you make your own I guess).
Knuckle_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
sqw

I'd like to see something a bit different.

Maybe hills, jungle, icefield, mountains, rubbled cities, badlands, semi-desert, canyons & crevasses, something half-way between the completely chewed up Ogre map and a GEV map
Old 01-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #14
Cantatta

My vote is to include the G and S maps, definitely. Also, a vote for the city map. A large urban area would make for some truly epic battles, Hollywood style! OGRE: The Movie, anyone?

I also like the idea of a map with a lake in the middle of it. Call it a crater full of water or whatever, so long as there's enough water to hide some Ogre's, and the Ogre's can enter and leave the depths without much trouble. I can see lots of potential for some fun gaming with that kind of map in the mix. As already mentioned, existing terrain overlays can makeup for any issues with how this map matches up to other maps.

A possible alternative to an actual lake map would be to create water overlays instead. I believe someone else already suggested this, or something similar. With enough water overlays, we could make our own lakes, large rivers, waterfronts, etc.

Having said that, I would also agree on the idea of a few naval units being added to the mix. They would be a welcome addition with more water terrain options.
Cantatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #15
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
First, let me make it clear that this is planning for at least a year away, maybe more.

The maps in the upcoming (and as yet unnamed) ODE edition will be G-3 and S-3. Advantages: good maps, completely geomorphic, and there are scenarios for them. Disadvantages: all of the G and S series are broadly similar. This was pointed out in comments on the KS page.

What would be a good thing to tackle for a later expansion? For instance, I have a sketch, never published anywhere of a partially water-filled crater many hexes across, which dominates the map area. That map is not fully geomorphic to G and S series - it would join on two sides at best. Would that be an acceptable price to pay for getting something that was obviously different even from 20 feet up?

Or a completely grasslands, or completely badlands, map, that would have only those features that you supply by overlay? That is ultimately flexible, but I don't know if I want to charge you $20 for a green piece of cardboard, even if it's very high quality cardboard of a beautiful green.

If you had a map where the entire center was city, except for a couple of parks and lakes, would you use it?

And so on.
Oh man, that's a doozy of a question to throw out. The answer is, there's no right answer. Historically S3 and G3 is what we were promised, and despite their limitations seem to me to be the way to go, but as you said you'll get criticized for the lack of diversity.

Whatever, geomorphic maps that connect to the core maps are in my opinion the right choice. However, a city map, European based by choice, would be good, because the fight for City X fits so nicely with the background. Besides it would be an opportunity for your American players to expand their geographic knowledge. ;-)

After that a map with significant terrain elevations would be my next choice, and would allow for a rule expansion for handling said terrain.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by Ashley; 01-08-2016 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add emoji
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

What's really needed is some variation. More G and S maps probably aren't necessary; remember that we already have a lot more choices by swapping N/S halves to create new G and S maps with what we have (and that will increase when G3 and S3 come out). We need maps that we can't create with what's already available.
  1. A map that's more water than land: a series of islands, chain-o-lakes, etc. I would include built-in beaches in some spots to represent coastline variations, too.
  2. A map with new terrain: this is tough because it would have to be a worthwhile addition that adds a new element to the strategy
  3. A new Ogre map: Why does it have to be a GEV map? (Yes, I realize of all people, that's a weird idea coming from me) :-)
  4. Part GEV, Part Ogre: Something that's basically a G or S map, but visually different. For example, A dried-up G map where there's no water (dried lakebed, burnt trees, etc)
Geomorphic isn't strictly necessary, either. As long as it's matchy-ish, the borders can usually be fixed with a couple overlays. I also agree that a map that's just a solid color isn't worth it. It'll look nice, but mostly a waste of chipboard.

And lastly: An Overlay expansion instead of (in addition to?) a map. The most obvious thing missing is water, but it always feels like you are just a little short when making sweeping changes.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
First, let me make it clear that this is planning for at least a year away, maybe more.

The maps in the upcoming (and as yet unnamed) ODE edition will be G-3 and S-3. Advantages: good maps, completely geomorphic, and there are scenarios for them. Disadvantages: all of the G and S series are broadly similar. This was pointed out in comments on the KS page.

What would be a good thing to tackle for a later expansion? For instance, I have a sketch, never published anywhere of a partially water-filled crater many hexes across, which dominates the map area. That map is not fully geomorphic to G and S series - it would join on two sides at best. Would that be an acceptable price to pay for getting something that was obviously different even from 20 feet up?

Or a completely grasslands, or completely badlands, map, that would have only those features that you supply by overlay? That is ultimately flexible, but I don't know if I want to charge you $20 for a green piece of cardboard, even if it's very high quality cardboard of a beautiful green.

If you had a map where the entire center was city, except for a couple of parks and lakes, would you use it?

And so on.
Would love a city map or two that we could use our terrain adapters that come with ODE to modify. In fact offering additional terrain modifying sheets what we could purchase would put the system right there with Miniatures in the way we can create the mapboard. BTW has anyone ever tried the museum and frame stickum that leaves no residue? Great for holding them in place
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #18
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJesse View Post
What if, instead of putting out one really nice mounted map, you put out 2 or 3 large, double-sided, detailed, PAPER, scenario specific maps? You could do some really fun scenario-specific art on them (Ogre factory/breaking yard?) and best of all, they would fit into my already stuffed-to-the-gills box!

Jesse
I HATE paper maps with a passion that knows no bounds. Please ONLY mounted boards. I had to mount my original Ogre and Gev boards to keep them from being destroyed.
You could do a large playmat, something durable and easier to store. I can get a tube anywhere. The scenario specific is a good idea though using the map adapter pcs in ODE(or something better in the expansion) might do the trick also.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
If it's maps for the next expansion, then how about a rules expansion for Ogre?

Littoral combat - Sea Ogre. Cyber-submarines, ships, lots of GEVs, and a really fast game. (Plus we could play for the globe via a Diplomacy map or some similar big world-domination game.)

The new maps could geomorph to the G and S maps on one side, make a coastline with each other, maybe fit in with the lakes to make a bay.
I have always wondered why no one has ever brought rule books out in three ring binders so you easily upgrade them. Maybe SJG could start a trend. I know that I'd pay the extra for something durable. They even make them as an easel mount you you have your game chart sitting there for all to see.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Up for doing an actual city, or is that too grim?
There are maps out there in fandom but in the old Ogre scale not ODE. Saw Washington DC just the other day. I'd love to battle for LA or Detroit.