Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #331
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Two genres that definitely inspired Star Wars were the Western and the Samurai film. The latter mostly takes place in the Edo era, and thus off the battlefield and usually in mean streets, just like the Western. Both the six shooter of the western and the late-era katana are meant to be drawn quickly, and to deal with relatively unarmored opponents. Thus, to be in genre, we should definitely expect to have cantinas full of scum and villany (and note that both Obi-Wan and Han Solo use fast-draw during this very scene).

The force sword is a pretty decent weapon against well-armored opponents while a blaster pistol is less effective, but they're both exceedingly ideal for walking around the streets in (the force sword is an astonishingly concealable weapon, in fact. It's got the fire-power of a heavy blaster and it's the size of a switchblade!)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #332
Mailanka

Today, an analysis of military conflict in Psi-Wars, on a personal, tactical scale, including a discussion of how I expect troopers to fight, and how the various strategies (force swords, pistols, melee weapons and unarmed combat) can deal with them, including both open combat and stealth.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #333
Mailanka

I continue my tactical analysis of Psi-Wars by taking a look at Civilian Conflicts, including assassinations, bar brawls, dealing with muggers and gang warfare.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #334
Mailanka

My last analysis post: a look at Monstrous Conflict, including a discussion on fighting both Space Monsters and Robots.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #335
Mailanka

Enough analysis! Given that I now understand how Star Wars, GURPS and Psi-Wars work and should work, I should be able to apply any optional rules necessary to get what I'm looking for, and I start by looking at what GURPS Action already provides in Rewriting Combat.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #336
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
My last analysis post: a look at Monstrous Conflict, including a discussion on fighting both Space Monsters and Robots.
Ah! I gotta read this one soon...
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #337
Mailanka

Alright, now I Rewrite Advantages, Skills and Techniques based on our previous findings.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #338
Edges

Enjoying the blog.

I'm having trouble interpreting this sentence:

"Weapon Master does not apply its damage bonus or superior defaults does apply its bonus damage to unarmed damage, which are already included in the base skills. This means a character with Weapon Master (All) applies his benefits to unarmed skills."

Clarification?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #339
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Enjoying the blog.

I'm having trouble interpreting this sentence:

"Weapon Master does not apply its damage bonus or superior defaults does apply its bonus damage to unarmed damage, which are already included in the base skills. This means a character with Weapon Master (All) applies his benefits to unarmed skills."

Clarification?
That whole paragraph is a mess. I was a little conflicted on how to handle it, and evidently things weren't deleted properly (either because blogger messed up stuff, which happens far more commonly than you might think, or more likely because I simply made a mistake).

It's been changed to this:
Weapon Master: Weapon Master is available for all unarmed skills! A single unarmed skill (Weapon Master (Karate)) is 20 points, while all unarmed weapon skills are a “single set of related weapons”. Weapon Master does not apply its damage bonus or superior defaults to unarmed attacks, but in all other ways, treat it as Trained by a Master.

In essence, I just want players to spend 45 points to have access to superior parries, rapid strikes and cinematic skills for all melee and unarmed attacks, without fussing with specifics. The arbitrary distinction between Weapon Master and Trained by a Master isn't important in a setting that sports blaster rifles and force swords.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #340
Mailanka

Today, I dig through the optional rules in Martial Arts to create a ruleset that particularly fits Psi-Wars in Rewriting Combat: Optional Rules.

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack