Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Maps for the NEXT expansion

First, let me make it clear that this is planning for at least a year away, maybe more.

The maps in the upcoming (and as yet unnamed) ODE edition will be G-3 and S-3. Advantages: good maps, completely geomorphic, and there are scenarios for them. Disadvantages: all of the G and S series are broadly similar. This was pointed out in comments on the KS page.

What would be a good thing to tackle for a later expansion? For instance, I have a sketch, never published anywhere of a partially water-filled crater many hexes across, which dominates the map area. That map is not fully geomorphic to G and S series - it would join on two sides at best. Would that be an acceptable price to pay for getting something that was obviously different even from 20 feet up?

Or a completely grasslands, or completely badlands, map, that would have only those features that you supply by overlay? That is ultimately flexible, but I don't know if I want to charge you $20 for a green piece of cardboard, even if it's very high quality cardboard of a beautiful green.

If you had a map where the entire center was city, except for a couple of parks and lakes, would you use it?

And so on.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
LordJesse

Default Re: Maps for the NEXT expansion

What if, instead of putting out one really nice mounted map, you put out 2 or 3 large, double-sided, detailed, PAPER, scenario specific maps? You could do some really fun scenario-specific art on them (Ogre factory/breaking yard?) and best of all, they would fit into my already stuffed-to-the-gills box!

Jesse
LordJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
selenite

A pure grassland/desert map we can get by ignoring the terrain on a regular map.

I'm not sure how interesting games on the crater map would be. I'm assuming there'd be a few gaps in the crater wall, otherwise it's just an impassible circle.

A badlands map would be interesting, if we're discussing badlands as very rough terrain, say limiting what tanks/Ogres can access and slowing infantry. If it's clear desert, see above.

I would love a big city map. Real battles are fought over targets worth capturing.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
First, let me make it clear that this is planning for at least a year away, maybe more.
What would be a good thing to tackle for a later expansion?
If it's maps for the next expansion, then how about a rules expansion for Ogre?

Littoral combat - Sea Ogre. Cyber-submarines, ships, lots of GEVs, and a really fast game. (Plus we could play for the globe via a Diplomacy map or some similar big world-domination game.)

The new maps could geomorph to the G and S maps on one side, make a coastline with each other, maybe fit in with the lakes to make a bay.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I would love a big city map. Real battles are fought over targets worth capturing.
Up for doing an actual city, or is that too grim?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
atomic

A big city map would be stellar. I also would like the first expansion to have the S and G maps,.

I do like the inclusion of more objectives! I am less than thrilled with more 3D Ogres (even a Ninja, or a Mk. XXXIV or whatever) we (or at least I) have more than enough ginormous units that are out of scale that I'll never end up using. May be an unpopular statement, but that's the way I feel.

Last edited by atomic; 01-08-2016 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling, clarity
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
HeatDeath

Radiant Phoenix's Post 5 in this thread has a link to a full sized map of Montreal and the surrounding area, rendered as an Ogre map at 1.5 km per hex. Obviously the whole thing is probably a dozen maps, but it looks like Montreal and Laval will just fit into a 23 by 23 hex map with some surrounding waterways. Something like that for a mostly-urban map (with some artistic license granted to make the waterways and road net more intentionally strategically interesting) would actually be really awesome.

It'd be awesome to be able to play out the Battle of Montreal with official material, and would give us something really interesting to use all those Mk 1's for. :)

[Aside: YAY! HAPPY DANCE! YAY! on getting both maps. The Battlefields scenario "Same Song, Second Verse", on G-3, is one of my very favorites! You can officially put me down for two of these expansions!]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 01-07-2016 at 10:12 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Up for doing an actual city, or is that too grim?
I'd go for one. There are some fan made city maps around. I remember Berlin and Portland at least. Berlin would fit the setting history well.

I suppose we could have a map of Austin to honor SJG HQ.

A survey of "Which city most deserves an Ogre going through it?" would probably tag Washington DC.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
A survey of "Which city most deserves an Ogre going through it?" would probably tag Washington DC.
Washington DC Ogre Map.

Austin is far enough south that it's just possible for the fighting in Mexico to have gotten that far, without having to seriously retcon any established background material.

Paris strikes me as a particularly interesting European city to render permanently uninhabitable. >:)

Last edited by HeatDeath; 01-07-2016 at 11:52 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #10
selenite

Factory States Era scenarios make every city fair game.