Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Qthulhu

Default Re: Kickstarter sheets - did all of the sponsored private sheets get announced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I'm curious as to why you might think this way? The great majority of these sheets are being made available to the public without regard to your association with any other group or organization or event. I'm not sure how things could be more egalitarian...

D.
Well, off the top of my head there's no guarantee all will be available online or for shipping outside the US. Maybe intl shipping will be more hassle than it is worth, it was trouble enough for SJG during the Kickstarter and they've presumably more experience with shipping than any of us put together.

The second cloud would be the undeclared sheets. They're the only ones really still free for speculation and the sky is the limit on that.

Mind you I speak only from my own experience as a non-US purchaser who unfortunately rather enjoys playing a lot of boardgames produced in the US. I have enough problems already with "major" game companies refusing to ship outside the US before I start worrying about smaller operations.

Consider that a US purchaser could get his sheets, QA them, and maybe order replacements for damaged goods in the same time it would take for those sheets to get to US customs. Heaven forbid a non-US citizen gets a defective sheet or a damaged parcel, because a refund isn't the same as a scenario pack or unique factions.

As I say, my opinion has been skewed by my negative experiences. For each of these sheets (and I'm getting at least one from each supplier, Cthulhu willing) I and my ilk will be waiting and wondering if it'll arrive destroyed or serviceable.

Besides all that there's the much more trivial aspect of X times shipping for an international-delivery-proof box and then finally how much of the Kickstarter gear will make it to the Warehouse for the non-US folk who couldn't gamble on the extra promotional gear.

TL:DR - It's been a slow process of rot from "WOOOO OGRE IS BACK!!!!11111" to "I hope I can get all this stuff in good condition without being overly gouged".

Hopefully that's a bit clearer, and yes I concede the situation could be a whoooole lot worse and most of my concerns are longshots rather than certainties.
Qthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
wolf90

Default Re: Kickstarter sheets - did all of the sponsored private sheets get announced?

Thank you.

This has been very illuminating. Let me think about this and I will post another more detailed answer. I have no wish to exclude anyone, although I'll concede logistics for some may be more difficult than others.

I'll post again here soon...

D.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Qthulhu

Quote:
Thank you.

This has been very illuminating. Let me think about this and I will post another more detailed answer. I have no wish to exclude anyone, although I'll concede logistics for some may be more difficult than others.

I'll post again here soon...

D.
Let me hasten to clarify that the previous is in no way intended as a dig at the supporters who gave us the ability to enjoy these sheets. We're all fans and that is reflected in the content and in our collective desire to own these sheets. I'm just (perhaps unfairly, even I'll admit) focusing on the potential negatives affecting a specific subset of fans.
Qthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
mwalbion

Qthulhu - I'm shipping copies of Ogre from the USA to Finland, Norway, Swedon, Denmark, the UK and Brazil - for people who jumped into the KS early, and wanted a simple USPS shipment option.

All of these people have options to have me ship it sealed, or checked and arrange replacements etc.

If you want your sheets mailed to a USA address (me) and then shipped to you (at cost price) -send me a message and we can work something out. I can ship them sealed, or can open, check them and send you any photos etc you require.

No one has paid me any money up front as we simply do not know the final weights / sizes, and shipping costs could differ by the time LAUNCH DAY arries.

I live on a small cattle ranch in central Texas - and that's a nice quiet time of the year for me. (hopefully)
mwalbion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
KevinR

I updated my sticky thread of Kickstarter information with what I know of the $4.5K sheets. See this post.

Backers -- let me know if you want anything changed (here or PM).

[I plan to post a link in the Kickstarter comments in about 24 hours.]

Last edited by KevinR; 07-31-2012 at 05:59 PM.
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
gdmcbride

Qthulhu,

Have no doubts that Fire Mountain Games' Nightfall will be both available online (in fact, it already is for preorders as you well know) and that we will be doing international shipping. If you pay for shipping, I will ship Nightfall to anywhere on the planet where deliveries can be sent.

Gary McBride
Fire Mountain Games
gdmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Walt Freitag

I'm planning to ship overseas orders for the Uncommon Ogres sheet via international first class mail. (Checking to make sure that first class mailings will be possible -- that the approximately 11 by 17 sheet can be scored and folded in half, or cut in half, to fit in a standard large padded envelope without damaging any of the pieces -- is what delayed my Kickstarter pledge and almost made me lose out entirely.) Unless I've missed something (in which case I'll make other plans as needed), that should be easier to arrange than overseas shipping of game sets and other merchandise in a box, which is what SJG had to deal with.

I will most likely be selling them online using Shopify or some similar e-commerce service, to make sure there are a variety of payment options.
Walt Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
wolf90

I think the sheets are coming as two 8.5x11 sheets instead of one 11x17 sheet. I could be wrong about that, but if correct, that should help a lot with shipping...
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
Walt Freitag

Quote:
I think the sheets are coming as two 8.5x11 sheets instead of one 11x17 sheet. I could be wrong about that, but if correct, that should help a lot with shipping...

That's my understanding too.

(Originally, the plan was to have a center score line, which was good enough to be certain that the sheets could be cut in half if needed. But having them come already cut into two halves is easier all around.)

Last edited by Walt Freitag; 07-31-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Walt Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Thirdpower

Which is what I've been basing my info off of. I'm adding intl' shipping as I figure it out.