Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Crewing a ship in the Age of Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Would the Quartermaster's primary Job skills be Administration and Leadership, or is this better represented by a Professional skill?
I would say Accounting rather than Administration. He doesn't have to manage a large organization in an ongoing way, but he does have to keep track of stores and purchases, and on a pirate ship he needs to figure the division of the spoils.

I think I wouldn't go for Leadership, either; even on a pirate ship the captain's job is to lead the crew in battle. But since the quartermaster decides what prizes to take, I'd give him Strategy; and if his position is elective, I'd include Politics.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
FATCavatar

Bear in mind that big ships need big crews due to the weight of anchors and rigging. HMS Victory (displacement 3,500 tons; tonnage 2,162 tons burthen) required 144 men just to raise the main anchor (and it had 7 anchors), and 120 men to set sail.

Victory was never short of men because it carried so many to man the guns, conduct boarding actions, replace losses etc. With 850 men on board, it was possible to raise anchor, set sail and conduct gun drills all at the same time.

The crew was led by 9 commissioned officers (+2 for the 146 royal marines on board). Suggest that if players are going to attempt such a role, they'll need a knowledgeable NPC to help them; some decent midshipmen at least. Better to make one of the COs an NPC; the master of the boat, say.
FATCavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #33
Polydamas

Don't forget the need for multiple watches if one wants to sail all day. Pirates usually carried as many men and guns as they could crowd onboard; merchants usually carried as few as the owner thought they could manage with.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #34
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Rather depends on the crew I think ... some of the more famous 'pirates' were in fact privateers sailing on a joint stock basis and their crews were hired and paid. More usually the privateers and pirates sailed for a division of spoils rather than a fixed salary, but even then someone had to recruit them and sign them up to "the articles" (effectively the membership contract).
Many were democratic and had votes on who would be captain. Obviously proving yourself would help you get elected. Many who had escaped the Navies would not want a 'bad' captain.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #35
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
What crew would be required for an age of sail ship and what skills would they need?
I'm really surprised that nobody has linked: GURPS Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #36
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I'm really surprised that nobody has linked: GURPS Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew
Probably because that book didn't exist when most of this conversation took place.

Tags
age of sail, pirate, ships, swashbucklers