Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: PDF Challenge Mix and Match (66 Combos)

Combination 19a: Apprentice of the Moon
19) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic

I was once as much a monster as any werewolf or vampire. I learned magic at the feet of a man I called Father, a powerful mage and shaman dedicated to an strange ritual. At his bidding, I killed people in sacrificial rituals to fuel our magic. I did it willingly. I justified it to my self. I blinded myself for the sake of power.

And yet the hunters saw fit to offer me redemption.

Just a detailed backstory for a Monster Hunters mage. It gives him a good reason to know a lot about were-wolves, and it plays up the reformed monster angle by applying it to someone who didn't loose their mind.

Combination 19b: Vampire Sorceress
19) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic

No, the blood link is powerful, and the vampire a most potent undead, but glamour? This is not a learned application of their unnatural powers. This is studied. The trappings of blood serve as a potent power source, yes, but they are given shape by the arcane. The more I study, the more I am convinced: this vampire is a sorceress. She wants you do come expecting an unusual vampire, because that gives her an advantage, but I know better, and now you do.

Spring a trap on your PC's. If it looks like vampires, it should never just be vampires.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #42
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 20a: Priest of the Erstwhile Moon
20) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World

The Gods have left, one way or another, leaving a sky of gears and wheels. While their departure has devastated the world, it has had a particularly cruel effect on lupine followers of the Moon, with most of them falling into madness and unable to control their transformations. They have been imprisoned or driven from the cities, to control their newly unleashed bestial taste for blood.

But at least some remain organized. One lunar priest has concealed himself deep in the woods. surrounded by a small army of mostly sane shape-shifters. Is the priest as deranged as the shapeshifters? Does he know how to preserve their minds? Can he actually bring the moon back? Or does he have something to do with the absence of the gods in the first place?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 21a:The Monstrous End of the World
21) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and GURPS Reign of Steel: Read the Sky

Its amazing what comes out the woodwork once the world ends. When there were billions of humans on the globe, the monsters were able to hide quite easily. Most of mankind is dead now, but most of the monsters survived. The remaining humans must be vigilant to survive. One day, its bandits kidnapping all the children in a town. The next day, its vampires taking over a community via a brothel. And I haven't even mentioned the robots yet.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #44
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 22a:Bush Riders
22) GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

Conflict happens all over the world. Sometimes it seems that the more remote the area, the more likely conflict is to break out. The Bushriders are a team of elite mercenaries who operate in the least civilized corners of the world. Able to move swiftly through the most forbidding places, the bushriders find themselves at places and times no one else can reach... at least no one else with good intentions.

Combination 22b (and 1b): The Race for Iram
A team of action heroes and archaeologists search for Iram and its fabled supernatural treasures, racing through the desert against rivals with possibly sinister motives, amid the backdrop of a civil war.

yep! we've done this before... and you haven't seen the last of it!

Old 09-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #45
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 22a:Bush Riders
And I give you War Camaro...

"How an armored Camaro and a special forces officer kept civilians alive in war-torn Bosnia"
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...r-torn-bosnia/

https://drivetribe.com/p/ghost-car-a...Rc-iz5Fwfhr1Og

Last edited by safisher; 09-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #46
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post

"How an armored Camaro and a special forces officer kept civilians alive in war-torn Bosnia"

Oh wow. That's pretty crazy. Especially that the missions were largely about giving stuff away to the local population under the eyes of armed and suspicious combatants. That could be a game all by itself.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #47
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Oh wow. That's pretty crazy. Especially that the missions were largely about giving stuff away to the local population under the eyes of armed and suspicious combatants. That could be a game all by itself.
I read about this fellow some time ago. Apparently to save carrying capacity for cargo only the rear of the car was really armored (a plate in the back) so the goal was to use the car's performance to simply outrun pursuers. On decent roads a Camaro would probably be able to outrun a typical jeep or truck of the military persuasion fairly easily.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #48
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post

Why isn't there a TV show about this?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 23a: Sellswords of the Sands
23) GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries and GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail

The politics of city states and tribes are both intricate and deadly, tied into trade routes, religion, and the great powers of the ancient world. There is always a fight somewhere.

Such conflicts will make you rich! As young warriors of the desert, you are equipped to fight battles no one else will, to turn the tide of conflicts all over the ancient world, and to earn your fortunes. Adventure awaits!

Action 2 is noted for having rules that can be applied in a lot games, not just action, and Action 7 is similar. If you have cinematic conflicts that involve more than just a handful of combatants, Mercenaries can help improve gameplay.

Combination 23b (and 1b, and 22b): The Race for Iram
23) GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries and GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail

A team of action heroes and archaeologists search for Iram and its fabled supernatural treasures, racing through the desert against rivals with possibly sinister motives, amid the backdrop of a civil war.

Yep, the Race for Iram is back! such a sweet setup! I think that's the last we'll see of it. Tricked out rides, mercenaries, RPM and Incense Trail.

Unless someone decides to play it!

Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #50
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 24a: Assault on Atoep
24) GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

The dark things have poured through portals, swarming over the land. Old King Orham Ghostfoot has kept his best scholars and advisors up for two straight days without rest, and they have a plan. One of the scholars found work describing the threat, as well as how to stop it. An all out assault is being planned.
You are leading this attack, from the front. You are Old Ghostfoot's very best, leading the way into hostile forces and hostile terrain. You need the simple pikemen and archers to make this attack work, but don't rely on them to win: that's your job.

Combination 24b: King of the Star
24) GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

The local opportunistic warlord has shown an unusual degree of mobility in the last few encounters, sneaking dozens of men into locations that should have been secure, then getting them out with no trace of an escape route. The men are dressed oddly warmly.

This warlord has found Atoep, and is using the portals to resupply, to raid, and to escape. The heroes will have to figure out why he is proving so elusive, and then assault his fortress. Heroic action mercenaries should be able to take out the hideout without too much trouble, but the enemy is counting on the star itself fighting back.