Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Gridxd

Default Wand of Dowsing to Divine Intervention

So this is a really shady scenario and I need a good reason why this would/wouldnt happen.

A level 9 cleric uses Wand of Dowsing then Searches for Divine Intervention. While he's searching, I use steal a level putting him to level 8. Before finding Divine Intervention, he simply sells all his armor for a level (its during his turn) putting him back to level 9. He then claims victory. Does that make sense? His logic is that its his turn and if I can interrupt his dowsing search with steal a level he can sell. Would Dowsing have to resolve first or is her right?

And loud arguments definitely did not solve this one.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing to Divine Intervention

You can't interrupt his dowsing search. One card has to resolve before another is played unless a card explicitly says otherwise.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Gridxd

so with that said im assuming another level 8 cleric cant use go up a level so that he could share the win?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Turgul

Nope! Not unless he did so before he went searching for Divine Intervention.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Gridxd

gotcha. thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Doering

In this thread Andrew said the following:

Quote:
Once he pulls the DI card, he has to play the card immediately. There isn't a window of decision with this the way there is with some other cards. If you want to make him lose his Class, play the card before he finishes going through the discard piles.
So you can make him lose his class.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Bampop

Hm. I might be wrong. Curses and GUALs can be played at anytime, so I'm not clear on that now that I think about it. I'm almost certain he wouldn't be able to stop Dowsing in order to sell items though.

Edit: reading that thread, I was definitely wrong.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com

Last edited by Bampop; 09-22-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
ChargerFan2121

I think in the scenario mentioned it would have to go like this:

(Level 9 Cleric) Player A plays Wand Of Dowsing. While Player A is searching, Player B plays Steal a Level. Steal a Level does not go into effect until Player A has chosen his card. As soon as Player A picks his card, Steal a Level goes into effect causing Player A to drop to level 8. Then Divine Intervention would come into play and bring Player A back to being level 9.

Last edited by ChargerFan2121; 09-22-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Stuff didn't make sense
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerFan2121 View Post
I think in the scenario mentioned it would have to go like this:

(Level 9 Cleric) Player A plays Wand Of Dowsing. While Player A is searching, Player B plays Steal a Level. Steal a Level does not go into effect until Player A has chosen his card. As soon as Player A picks his card, Steal a Level goes into effect causing Player A to drop to level 8. Then Divine Intervention would come into play and bring Player A back to being level 9.
Nope.

Player goes down the level immediately. It does not wait until the Player A finds his card.
Underlined the relevant, to me, section.

Same end result.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The card is resolved as soon as the player begins searching the discards -- you do not have to wait for him to finish searching to play other cards. (Also note that I've previously ruled that use of the Wand of Dowsing or similar cards cannot be used to forestall the end of combat -- you can't use it to bring the game to a screeching halt for your fishing expedition.)
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
ChargerFan2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Nope.

Player goes down the level immediately. It does not wait until the Player A finds his card.
Underlined the relevant, to me, section.

Same end result.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=14
Oh, I interpreted that as you could play cards while they were searching, but they wouldn't take effect till after the player selected their card, and since they were played before a certain card was selected, they would take effect first before the card that was chosen would.
Closed Thread