Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
nik1979

Default GURPS Mass Combat & Traveller Ships

Mass Combat has stats for Space Battle Ships, unfortunately its "Battleship" is at the mere few Billions range, comparable to the cost of a battle ship in modern day but not exactly to what battle ships would cost if you project farther out and apply increase of GDP in the target era (which is about 200-300 years of the present).

What should I carefully consider if I plan to take the ships from Marks' works and apply the rules of Mass Combat to work out how much each ship would cost to support in a given system economy?
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: GURPS Mass Combat & Traveller Ships

Pyramid 3/30 has an article for Mass Combat in Space, which can be used to determine TS of spaceships. It's designed for use with the Spaceships books rather than Traveler's ship design rules, but it should be easy enough to use; just count every 5% of ship's mass devoted to weapon systems as 1 "weapon module". The rest should be usable as-is.

However, the scaling is a little weird, giving smaller craft (IMO) disproportionately high TS. A simple fix is to multiply TS by the length for its SM, and divide by a constant (I use 20). This effectively makes TS scale with surface area instead of linear scale. I've got a simple spreadsheet here that provides TS totals, both the RAW value and two alternates (scaling with Surface Area and Mass, respectively).

I'm not sure how the TS from this article compares to things like Mass Combat's Flying Battleship, largely because there's no way to know what exactly that ship represents. You could compare its cost to the warships in Traveler, and use that as a benchmark. This may mean multiplying all spaceship TS by some fixed value to get it to line up.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 04-10-2012 at 05:24 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
nik1979

Default Re: GURPS Mass Combat & Traveller Ships

Thanks for this. :D
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mass combat, ships