Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #1511
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Up late playing with GIMP (trying to break into Cracked), so I'm not likely to be super promptly at 10am Asian/5pm Pacific/6pm Mountain. Good news for ladyarcana I suppose.

Sweet dreams. If you don't know my Facebook name, PM me please.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #1512
tHEhERETIC

It consistently amazes me that, when touching up a transcript, I find a couple sentences I didn't read the first time around, questions I didn't answer IC because I didn't catch them. This one is no exception.

Will post the transcript in IC, but won't attempt to answer those until the drink has worn off. :)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #1513
tHEhERETIC

I caught Kane's player in chat today--his plan is to Sing the demon into trusting him, then drive him off somewhere and whack him.

Any objections? I'll set that up in IC and find out.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #1514
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I caught Kane's player in chat today--his plan is to Sing the demon into trusting him, then drive him off somewhere and whack him.

Any objections? I'll set that up in IC and find out.
Looks like he has Sunae's approval anyway. (Surprise, surprise.) If I don't see any objections, I'll continue things later today.

Sorry to miss the chat, by the way. Things are still kind of nuts out this way. Oh, well, at least the water isn't rising.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #1515
Dalillama

Glen certainly won't complain, although he may kibitz.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #1516
tHEhERETIC

I love my cat. I will not strangle him in the night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
"Poor thing," Kane croons, his Oaths and his passion coming together in the only way they can. "I can't leave you in pain -- and you're going to be too easy to find by the folks huntin' you in this condition."

All but weeping, he picks up a piece of glass to cut the demon's throat (if he can reach it).

"Goodbye, love. May Limbo keep you safe."

Once he knows the demon is gone, he uses a little Essence to assume celestial form. If he can reach Sunae for healing without attracting too much attention, he will. Otherwise, he'll simply ascend to Heaven and head for the closest Tether, to be repaired and returned.

(OOC: Is it possible for him to take the doll before assuming celestial form, so that it stays with his Vessel? Or would he bleed out if he tried?)
The first part's easy.

The doll is corporeal; celestial form is celestial. It's early and I'm sleep-deprived, but I don't see how that could work. If it's a simple matter of holding the thing, he wouldn't bleed out too soon.

Kane is in San Dimas, infernal-renegade L.A. to his west, Michael's Mojave to the east. He doesn't have to go far, but it's not without risk.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #1517
Rocket Man

Quote:
The doll is corporeal; celestial form is celestial. It's early and I'm sleep-deprived, but I don't see how that could work. If it's a simple matter of holding the thing, he wouldn't bleed out too soon.
Well, usually corporeal stuff disappears with a Vessel that's holding or wearing it, if I recall correctly,and then reappears when the Vessel reappears. (If you think about it, the alternative would be to have angels materialize naked every time they return from their Hearts, which clearly isn't happening.) And if I'm remembering LR correctly, that's especially true with a Corporeal Artifact, which stays with its possessor regardless of form.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #1518
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Well, usually corporeal stuff disappears with a Vessel that's holding or wearing it, if I recall correctly,and then reappears when the Vessel reappears. (If you think about it, the alternative would be to have angels materialize naked every time they return from their Hearts, which clearly isn't happening.) And if I'm remembering LR correctly, that's especially true with a Corporeal Artifact, which stays with its possessor regardless of form.
Did I mention sleep-deprived.

I do believe you're right.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #1519
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Sunae looks around her, making sure no one is in ear shot, and she says in a low voice

"Think about it. Every place he's named are major cities with big Tethers, and big populations of Celestials. Some are Heavenly, some are Infernal and there are even a couple of Ethereal ones. Why would they target them, especially the Infernal ones? The First Trumpet, do you remember the conditions for that? Ryuki heard the players talk about skipping the First Trumpet. What if they are trying to force the Trumpet to sound?"

"We already know Squire's nuts. He really believes his boy will defeat our boy."

She lets that soak in for a moment

"John, why don't you go check on Kane? We're going to need his help if this is true. You're the fastest amongst us and you have a badge."

I like it. A quick reminder of canon as it applies here:

Pg. 105, Fall of the Malakim, is what she's referring to.

In this 'verse, it happened...kind of. http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/tHEhERETIC/losangeles.html The short version:

There was a purge in Los Angeles in 1999, though logistically it would not have been all the difficult. Hell had a much tighter grip on the city then. Whatever DPs were or were not involved didn't stick around to do follow up. If any angels had survived they'd have had to hide or be killed (Mitchem, IIRC, was good at hiding). The Demon Princes, by design or neglect, left the city in charge of demons with only loose affiliations to their DPs, devolving into the Renegade town you have now. Or the apparently Renegade town...perhaps it's just a Prince with a very light touch.

Pg. 106 though, I'm off canon. The Superiors won't know when Gabriel is blowing her trumpet vs. Blowing a Trumpet. She's that opaque to them. So far it has definitely sounded once...but was it once, or was it the First? It's not clear.

Ruby turned up in L.A. slightly after Ryuki started hanging around there, so theirs is a seven year rivalry (In game we're only in early 2008, silly PbP). That means he was just 23 when he started making her life miserable, or making the city manageable depending on who you ask.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #1520
Rocket Man

Quote:
Did I mention sleep-deprived.

I do believe you're right.
Thanks! Roughly how long in Earth-time would it take him to:
1) Get to his Heart in Heaven
2) Reach a SoCal Tether from the Heavenly end
3) Descend and get patched up
4) Contact and rejoin the group?

I'm pretty sure no one in Heaven would be surprised by his sudden appearance in the Catacombs. Malakim are pretty much on the frequent-flyer plan.

(And FYI, Kane should have 1 Essence left, unless the trip to Heaven provides him with any more, or unless all this running around carries him past sunrise. 5 Essence minus 2 for the Song of Ecstasy minus 2 more for assuming celestial form.)

Tags
in nomine