Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
pyratejohn

Default Re: TFT Gamemasters Screen -- What needs to be in it?

Good choices, though I might like to see the weapon and armor tables on the screen. Also, it might be handy to have some facing diagrams for multi-hex figures. And please, please include a page reference in the title block of each table. I have a screen for some game (The One Ring maybe) that does that, and I have found it very useful.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
TIME, SPEED AND DISTANCE - How long is a combat turn? How many turns does it take do specific things? How far can you move on a labyrinth map in one labyrinth turn? (Does this need to include overland movement on larger scale maps? How far can you walk, run, ride in an hour or a day?)
Guy - Perhaps you might think about including the GM rules for LIGHT and SOUND (TFT:ITL p. 43) while traveling in the labyrinth, and the rules for TORCHES somewhere near this section?

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 07-29-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added cited reference
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
luguvalium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
HTH Damage by ST, listing bonuses for dagger, club, etc.
This would be useful along with the HTH defense reaction table. I always need to look those things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
And please, please include a page reference in the title block of each table.
And this would be very useful.

A table of aimed shots, crippling hits, dagger marksmanship.

DX adjustments

NPC Reactions and typical adjustments

If the weapons and armor are already in a pull out, then I don' think they need to be on the screen.

Having a list of all the spells with their ST requirement would be a useful pull out.

Rules for travel, wilderness, and long range missile fire chart would be useful to have in one place, even if its not on the screen.

Last edited by luguvalium; 07-29-2018 at 06:48 PM.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
The Wyzard

I think the most important stuff is what you can't derive from first principles. Weapon range penalties, critical hits (especially crits and crit fails when you're rolling more than 3 dic), damage numbers for knockdowns and stuff...I don't think I need weapon weights or spell costs because theoretically my players put that stuff on their sheet where it belongs, but I dunno.

Three panels is a lot for TFT. Especially if you put some of the stuff that's public on the player-facing side and reserve the deep rules magic for the Referee side.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
Dave Crowell

Please make the Player's side in extra large and clear font. I find that it is often hard to read the tabe on the player facing side of screens from the table. Players are usually seated much farther from the screen than the GM is.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #16
JLV

+1 to Dave's comment.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
Jim Kane
Banned

Another +1 Dave's comment.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #18
ColinK

How difficult/expensive is it to add PDF pages of the GM screen to the PDF package of the game?

As I continue aging my vision gets worse, but my tablet computers get bigger.

Some day, I'll be hiding from my victims behind a digital GM curtain and still whining about the size of the text....
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #19
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Effects of things in your environment: fire damage, damage from falls, saves vs. drowning, etc.
The saves are all on the master Saving Rolls list already, never fear. Steve did that list himself and it is quite comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Guy - Perhaps you might think about including the GM rules for LIGHT and SOUND (TFT:ITL p. 43) while traveling in the labyrinth, and the rules for TORCHES somewhere near this section?

JK
There were on the first mockup I did, but it was getting very tight so I pulled them. I may be able to fit those back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think I'd like the armour and weapons on the GM screen. I'm not fussed about XP or map scales. Oh, and I'd like Spell costs too.
Including armor and weapons on the screen in any font that is readable by people over 40 will take up almost 2 of the 3 panels. Is that really something we want to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Please make the Player's side in extra large and clear font. I find that it is often hard to read the tabe on the player facing side of screens from the table. Players are usually seated much farther from the screen than the GM is.
Good thought. Noted.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 07-30-2018 at 08:22 AM.
guymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post

JK
+1 on this, how SOUND works through doors, hallways, walls, caves, etc. as well as light, etc. Used all the time, pain to have to flip through rules to find it.

Most posts have covered what is needed, but of course there is limited space. Leaving off the weapons and armor charts is perhaps a good decision, after character creation they are usually on PCs sheets or eventually mostly memorized.

But things like unarmed damage due to ST that were present need to be somewhere.

I won't reiterate the good suggestions so far, but a guiding principle for me would be "What things are used just infrequently enough or are of indeterminate value but yet are used regularly that a look up is usually required?"

Most people quickly learn that a horsebow does 1d damage and requires ST 10, but can they tell you what DX is required to be able to shoot it twice per turn?

The party fires up a torch and disturbs some weapons propped against a wall by accident in a long hallway with heavy wooden doors, some open and some closed. Who might now see or hear the party and in what rooms or hallways?

The PCs need to travel across miles of heavy woods then up into some mountains. How many general days of travel would be required, and how many rations?

These are just examples. The original screen was good, but it can be made better. Even simple things like, with a 5 die roll, what are the critical ones and their effects, etc?

And proper rules references with an easy to read format (times new roman was developed to make letter recognition as easy as possible, don't use some goofed font, please!) :)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote