Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
copeab

Default Re: GURPS Old West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
But are Westerns strictly about the Wild West?
Not always. For example, The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #42
Black Leviathan

Quote:
But are Westerns strictly about the Wild West? The Western genre isn't primarily about lawlessness, it's about society.
The Western Genre isn't really about one or the other. Most stories are about wresting civilization out of the wilderness, and wild shoot-outs are a part of that wilderness as much as unmerciful deserts or wild animals or angry native tribes. Later on the Genre also came to be about what is lost in the race for civilisation but it is still a story partially defined by the Wildness of the West.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #43
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Not always. For example, The Good, The Bad, The Weird.
That’s just an exceptionally wild Wild West (from the human perspective).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #44
jason taylor

Quote:
But are Westerns strictly about the Wild West? My Darling Clementine, The Searchers, Red River, High Noon, The Furies, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Toll Gate, all truly great westerns, are all about civilization and civilized values. Taming the land and building communities, leaving one society and finding your place in the new society, the price of both law and lawlessness, these are the themes of the western. Certainly, later Westerns shifted emphasis but works like Cat Ballou, The Ballad of Josey, or Support Your Local Sheriff! all have serious things to say about individuals and society. The Western genre isn't primarily about lawlessness, it's about society.
Treasure of the Sierra Madre was not about law or lawlessness, it was about avarice and grace and who can handle wealth and who can't.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #45
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Treasure of the Sierra Madre was not about law or lawlessness, it was about avarice and grace and who can handle wealth and who can't.
More about the futility of of avarice or seeking wealth, and the bad end that chasing avarice leads to, vs. the willingness to enjoy a simple life and doing something that helps folks in some fashion. It comes through a lot more in the book.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #46
hal

For a different "Western" you might try Amazon.Prime and search on Kirk Douglas for free viewable movies (well, movies you can watch having paid your prime membership fee).

The movie you want to find is BIG TREES with Kirk Douglas and Eve Miller. Right about the time of the movie, Congress passed a law allowing large tracts of land to be traded for land elsewhere - public land that is. So, loggers - having depleted the land they were granted earlier, could now swap out the land for fresh timberland elsewhere.

Bear in mind, the fact that the homesteading act, amended (I seem to recall three separate times) allowed people access to publicly owned land at the price of $1.25 per acre up to 160 acres. This would later cause problems when the ranchers with cattle went head to head with homesteaders applying for and being granted - land that was originally free range. Greed rears its ugly head for many reasons over many different opportunities. So, westerns can involve lumber, buffalo hides, land, water rights, mineral rights, etc - things that are FREE or for a relatively nominal price, is going to attract people who want something for nothing.

If it is desirable, I will take the time to vet the information source I have, that lists the price of farmland that is not "free range" - but developed farms. Prices could range as little as $10 per acre and go as high as $50 in one listing that I saw for one county/state. All of this is for the time 1880 if that helps.
hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #47
copeab

I liked Bone Tomahawk on Amazon, a watchable, if merely okay, western/horror. The plot is good for a one-shot, where PC survival isn't of great importance, but it would need some work for a campaign.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #48
Astromancer

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs ( l got the link and improved the spelling ) is one of the Cohen Brothers many amazing reworking of the themes of the Western.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-12-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #49
hal

Quote:
The Ballad of Buster Scoggs ( I'll get the link and improve the spelling later) is one of the Cohen Brothers many amazing reworking of the themes of the Western.
Oddly enough, I started to watch that - and found I absolutely HATED it. Seems like this is one of those "hate it/love it" types since you seem to consider it amazing. (No slight against you - my tastes in Westerns simply found it hard to enjoy).
hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #50
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Oddly enough, I started to watch that - and found I absolutely HATED it. Seems like this is one of those "hate it/love it" types since you seem to consider it amazing. (No slight against you - my tastes in Westerns simply found it hard to enjoy).
I can so see that. I loved it, though not all of its choices. Still, it is very easy to see why many people would hate it. When you go to the edge, some people will always feel you went too far. Far enough for some will always be too far for others, that's not a slam at you, it's simply a fact about art.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
west