Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #911
Mailanka

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Dear GURPS Fans
Today, I begin the last philosophy for Psi-Wars, my GURPS Space Opera Setting: True Communion, a philosophy inspired by the Jedi (among others). Today's post is an introduction, discussing the themes and inspirations for True Communion.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 AM   #912
Mailanka

The State of the Blog: A January Retrospective and a look forward to February.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #913
Mailanka

Hey guys, I've got the next part of True Communion, a philosophy for Psi-Wars, my GURPS Space Opera setting. Today, I look at the cultural context and history of True Communion, including its alien origins, the Communion Crusades, the rise and fall of the Knights of Communion and how they brought down the Alexian Empire.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #914
Mailanka

Blue skinned space princesses! Er, wait, context. Today, I have a Patreon Preview: the Keleni, the alien race who founded the True Communion faith, a naturally telepathic race who often lived on the crossroads of empire and have suffered suspicion and persecution at the hands of others and have been banished from their temple worlds.

If you're a patron, check it out!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #915
Mailanka

In today's Psi-Wars update, we look at the Beliefs of True Communion, a jedi-inspired philosophy for my GURPS Space Opera setting, including what they see "Communion" (the great psychic gestalt) as, and what each person's role to play in the great tapestry of life is.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #916
Mailanka

I'm a little late, but I do have an update. Continuing True Communion, my totally-not-jedi philosophy of my totally-not-star-wars GURPS Space Opera Setting, Psi-Wars, I have the symbols and traditions of True Communion.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #917
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its kind of interesting that True Communion is a little weak on imagery. Relics, artifacts, and powerful symbols dot the universe, and True communion can explain why they happen and make use of them, but it itself doesn't actually embrace their use. Some have happened anyways, but the symbols tend to be simple and elegant.

This might be a balancing factor: other practitioners are better able to pile on symbols and find the artifacts of their traditions, even though true communion is better at pulling everything together.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #918
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its kind of interesting that True Communion is a little weak on imagery. Relics, artifacts, and powerful symbols dot the universe, and True communion can explain why they happen and make use of them, but it itself doesn't actually embrace their use. Some have happened anyways, but the symbols tend to be simple and elegant.

This might be a balancing factor: other practitioners are better able to pile on symbols and find the artifacts of their traditions, even though true communion is better at pulling everything together.
I'm glad you like it! It's generating quite some discussion.

Thematically, the philosophy that I wanted dripping with path symbols was the Divine Masks. To them, Path is All, Path is (literally) God. So they dress in all the symbols, go to all the locations, build big idols to them and worship them insistently.

But a True Communion master would ask them "Why? Do you know what that represents? What that guides you towards?" He would try to push them to see path the symbols and to see the path itself. They have the symbols, they know the symbols, but to them, they're just markers on the road to inner peace and harmony with others. For True Communion, walking a Path is not about gaining power or worshiping that particular path, but gaining a deeper connection to Communion (this will be more clear when I release the Virtues)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #919
Mailanka

Tinker Titan Rebel Spy: the After Action Report for Session 3.

The Psi-Wars imperial playtest continues with more politics, an encounter in the Ash Wastes and, at last, combat! The players also get a taste of what Communion is like, but unfortunately, they're on the receiving end.

As usual, I've included links to the players' after action reports, and I discuss my own thoughts, including handling the split between non-combat and combat-oriented characters in an Action scenario.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #920
Kalzazz

Can you please remove the link to the Google doc? I was just trying to give you the notes easier than copy pasting 1 paragraph at a time into Discord.
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack