Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Blinding and Dazzle lasers

Ultra tech has blinding and Dazzle lasers use Projector skill to hit but are wide cone shaped.
You can add either or both modes to a High energy laser for +10% cost for each mode.
For Dazzle it specifies it is no longer a wide cone and must hit the face or eyes.
For Blind it does not say but I would rule the same for focusing reasons. Your really just shooting a lower powered beam but using the same focusing array.
So instead of Projector to hit cant it still use Beams?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Blinding and Dazzle lasers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ultra tech has blinding and Dazzle lasers use Projector skill to hit but are wide cone shaped.
You can add either or both modes to a High energy laser for +10% cost for each mode.
For Dazzle it specifies it is no longer a wide cone and must hit the face or eyes.
For Blind it does not say but I would rule the same for focusing reasons. Your really just shooting a lower powered beam but using the same focusing array.
So instead of Projector to hit cant it still use Beams?
Personal if I had a go at redoing the Beam Weapons skill I'd make using a laser in dazzle/blind mode would just be a familiarity penalty (and I would save Beams (Projector) for beam weapons utilized more like a flame thrower and the like) but for RAW I suspect that its do to the cone effect making it different from the point and shoot format of Beams (Pistol) or Beams (Rifle).

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Personal if I had a go at redoing the Beam Weapons skill I'd make using a laser in dazzle/blind mode would just be a familiarity penalty (and I would save Beams (Projector) for beam weapons utilized more like a flame thrower and the like) but for RAW I suspect that its do to the cone effect making it different from the point and shoot format of Beams (Pistol) or Beams (Rifle).
The part of the cone effect as projector makes sense though I like your idea of a familiarity penalty better.
However the blind adn dazzle mode are not really cone effects, they certainly are smaller cones than the base weapon but as they require a hit in the face or eyes they are not GURPS cone effects.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The part of the cone effect as projector makes sense though I like your idea of a familiarity penalty better.
However the blind adn dazzle mode are not really cone effects, they certainly are smaller cones than the base weapon but as they require a hit in the face or eyes they are not GURPS cone effects.
And that's were the difference is, it might now be a wide cone but it is still different from the "traditional" way lasers are fired. Granted I do agree with you that it's not significantly different but that seems to be the angle that David went with when writing the rules as far as I can tell.

If anything, the cone effect should offset some of the -9 to hit the eyes, maybe drop it to -5.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote