Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
KjetilKverndokken

Default What Should I get?

I have the Core book (det edition with the angel and demon wrestling in the forground.

and Angelic-Infernal-Corpereal-Ethereal Players guide.

What other books should I get in which order?

Oh, only those that are in pdf...

Besides, why have not the whole line come in pdf yet? Its long since they stopped producing it?
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
KjetilKverndokken

Default Re: What Should I get?

BTW - I have had those books lying around for a long time, and had a smallish session a long time ago... So I dont really remember the rules, or have read to much of the books.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
Besides, why have not the whole line come in pdf yet? Its long since they stopped producing it?
Basically, SJG has its own priorities for getting things into PDF form and until recently, IN wasn't high on the list. (In particular, it looks like the company was trying to get as many of its "GURPS Classics" from third edition into digital form as possible, before tackling too many things from the other lines.) That seems to have turned around recently; we're seeing quite a few digital releases for IN lately.

As far as recommendations from the digital libray, the biggest one I can recommend is Liber Canticorum -- that will expand your Song options remarkably.

What sort of campaign are you looking to set up? Demonic? Angelic? That might give us a better idea of what to recommend, though personally, I wound up getting nearly the entire library.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
JCD

Short answer:

Liber Canticorum

Game Master's Guide

Let the dust settle on the Ethereal Player's guide since it matches up with In Nomine the way rasberry jam goes with smelt. That is the LAST book you should persue for anything regarding the rules.

As an off the cuff suggestion, I would tell you to ignore the Disturbance rules in In Nomine Core as written and use any one of the suggested changes in the Game Master's Guide or just use the handy search engine at the top of your screen.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...t=disturbance\

There is a link to a discussion on the question.

Quote:
(Disturbance) squared x 3 for automatic detection.

The size of the Disturbance is the basic range. Beyond automatic range, -1 per unit of basic range.

Phin sings Healing on himself. Disturbance 1 from Essence.

(1) squared x 3. So he is automatically detectable at 3 yards. For every yard (basic range Disturbance) beyond that, the listener is at a -1. So a perception 6 demon could not hear it at all 9 yards away, but a perception 12 angel gets a roll of 6 or less at the same range.

Belial shows up Celestially (Disturbance 30)

(30 x 30) x 3. 2700 yards. Anyone within almost a mile and half gets to hear it. But once you reach that threshold, things drop off quickly. Every additional 30 yards gives a -1 to perception.

I would prefer to make 'basic range' the disturbance x3 per -1 but I don't want to make things too complex. So every 3 yards with a one disturbance would give a drop off of -1. This would extend the hearing range to 21 yards for a 'normal' Celestial. For the Belial example, a normal Celestial could hear it another 540 yards...maybe.
This is my contribution
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
KjetilKverndokken

Thanks, those two where the ones I was looking at :)

Im not ure on what type of campaign, mostly reading now, but I have a deep suspcion my players wants to be demons...
Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Azel

Ok, you already have Core, Angel, Infernal, and Corp & Eth Guides. Where to next? That's easy, Game Master Guide (which should have come earlier, by the way. I made the same "mistake" myself), You Are Here, and the Liber series.

Now, there's two approaches you can take, and I'm going to ask you how you want to get into the game:

First, regardless of the two approaches, get the GMG. To start playing you always need to worry about People, Places, and Things. But before even then, you need to worry about Mood, Setting, Theme -- and canon boundaries with regards to the Big Questions (religion, Superiors' Limits, Nature of God & Lucifer, etc.). So, first you need GMG to answer for yourself "what am I selling to my players," because IN is very flexible in presentation. You can end up with frustrated players if you don't see eye to eye on the buy-in for your game.

From here there are two major paths to take.

One, you can focus on people and places. This would be You Are Here and Liber Servitorum (and later Liber Castellorum). Essentially this is narrative fodder; it helps keep the game going with plot hooks and interactive set pieces. Liber Servitorum is particularly useful in that it gives an example of characters for every character category, showing powerful ones and starting character ones. And it further explains the value of (and the responsibilities inherent in) Roles and Servants -- this is quickly understood later to be invaluable.

You Are Here is an excellent seed source for locations. I do find Liber Castellorum more useful personally because tethers should be a major setting fixture, even if it does not end up playing a major character role. However, I do find the book on tethers more for advanced IN gaming. You Are Here however is an excellent choice because so many great ideas can be ported over to other games; even if you end up disliking IN, this book along with Liber Servitorum, will still retain value.

On the other, you can focus on PC powers and loot. This would be Liber Canticorum and Liber Reliquarum. These are the power boosts, the new songs and tantalizing relics. They explain the game world conceit about songs and artifacts, and then further delineate ways to finesse songs and create artifacts. Finally they then provide new songs and example artifacts.

This is great stuff. Not only are there new toys, and rules how to make them, but there's also "forbidden fruit" dangling nearby. Restricted or forbidden songs, legendary or Superior level artifacts, whole batches of toys that scream "World Changing McGuffin plot hook here!" However, be warned that generosity on this path lies madness and frustration. These toys sound delightful with which to tease players, but know that you're playing with fire.

IN is not (usually) a power-for-power's-sake dungeon crawl. PCs have responsibilities. Too many of these toys, even the 'balanced' ones, and you're just asking for your game to fall apart. IN walks a delicate line in play balance. PCs start off strong enough to seriously mess with the world, but the game supplies the GM with enough soft and hard mechanics to rein in such behavior. Too many hard benefits however (forces, songs, artifacts, etc.) and many of those mechanics become impotent leaving you either having the PC turned in, or snowball into Armageddon. Even IN canon states that higher level gaming is beyond the scope of what was initially intended. So, just be careful.

Hope that helps, and happy gaming!
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

The other thing that I'll add to Azel's assessment: once you have an idea of what you and your players are interested in, start looking at some of the Superiors books/PDFs. Specifically, the ones that have to do with either your PC's Superiors, or the ones that will be the principal opponent/antagonist for the campaign. Those books will give you both game options and things to think about, some of them surprising.

(Note, too, that an antagonist can officially be on the same side! A demonic crew may still be looking over its shoulders regularly if Asmodeus decides there's reason to be suspicious of them ....)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
KjetilKverndokken

Liber Canticorum

Game Master's Guide

I just downloaded those two.

But the book of tethers and You are here, is physical copies only, to high buy in to ship to Norway atm, so Im gonna wait for them to be available as pdf's...

---

But what does the Superior pdf's actually contain? I see they are small pdf's. how much do they give the game?

---

I wanting to give in nomine a try, had lots of fun with demon the Fallen when that came out, one of my favorite oWoD games, and a few good times with nWoD infernals.

Also, I have heard good and bad stuff when it comes to the rules? Am i perfectly fine using the rules as is? Because it needs to be pretty bad to bother with houseruling stuff, and as i understand it, the GM guide gives optional rules that fixes a few things?

Tags
meta