Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Need help converting DtD to GURPS

First, I have those download sites where you must wait for a countdown to end, then fill a capcha and finally find the link in the bloated page, before you can get the file. For large files, I understand it, but for small files like these? I use Dropbox to host them, and it works much better.

Another thing, don't convert mechanics, convert the idea behind the abilities, Takes Recharge, 15s is once per fight, 99.99% of the time. Only if it's a trick fight, where the characters must do something while infinite minions pour in, or one side is deliberately stalling, will an ability with a 15s recharge time get more than one use. Out of combat, it's still a pretty usable ability.

If you want help with conversions, I've found that the best is that you describe the abilities to convert in plain English, removing as many rules artifacts as possible. Once what an ability does, and what a role it plays is known, converting is usually simply.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
the_matrix_walker

I just searched the main rule book and cycled through searching for "scene" They use the term ALLOT, but never define it. so I guess it could be anywhere from seconds to hours...

I think it's very entertaining that the first problem to overcome when converting another system to GURPS, is the need to define the original system's terms so they can be converted.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
samd6

Yeah, thanks for the help. With that taken care of, converting the races (apart from the Dryad, but that's a weird case) is pretty easy, although some move in a direction I was not expecting. I'll post the conversions so far, and hopefully make proper use of tags

I've decided to do Magic-As powers, so spell sonversions should be fairly easy.
After that, I'll tackle the Exaltations.

Spoiler:  
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
samd6

Apologies that I didn't include this in the earlier post:

I think what I want for the Kobold Power is something like ER 5 (Costs 2 HP -10%, Any power +10%) The idea is that the Kobold can deliberately shed some of their blood to gain a boost in power. Is this workable?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
Yeah, thanks for the help. With that taken care of, converting the races (apart from the Dryad, but that's a weird case) is pretty easy, although some move in a direction I was not expecting. I'll post the conversions so far, and hopefully make proper use of tags

I've decided to do Magic-As powers, so spell sonversions should be fairly easy.
After that, I'll tackle the Exaltations.
Have you looked at the Dungeon Fantasy Series? I don't want to discourage you, but they cover much of the same ground, including many of the races. Also, try to keep racial costs down.

Quote:
Aasimar: [77]
HT +3 [30], Will +3 [15], Per+3 [15], SM+1
Unfazeable [15]
Gun!@DX-1 [12]
Vitality Reserve 10 [20]
Racial Gun!? Well, it makes me wonder... Also, racial HT+3? 30 points of vitality reserve? Per+3? These guys are natural born marathon runners, have exceptional senses, and can take a bearing and not notice it! Mind you, if I were to use the stats from any version of D&D as the base, I would use the modifier instead of the adjustment value. in D&D3+, that is +1 per every +2. Giving them HT+1/Will+1/Per+1, 3 points of vitality reserve, and probably a racial gifts perk allowing them to purchase more stats over the maximum of the campaign, extra vitality reserve, and the Gun! skill

Mind you, the half celestial in Dungeon Fantasy comes up to 75 points, and works much better for the concept IMHO.
Quote:
Dark Eldarain: [85]
+1 IQ [20], +1 DX[20]
Obscure Vision 10 (Ranged+50%,Area 4 yards +50%, Recharge ~1 min -25%) [35]
Charisma 2 [10]
Nothing wrong here, only it's a but too expensive.

Quote:
Dragonborn [82]
+1 SM, +3 ST [27], +1 Per [5]
DR 3 [15] Dark Vision [25]
Innate Attack 3d Burn (Jet+0, 1/2D and Max at 20 +15% Recharge 15 sec-20%) [15]
Berserk (15) [-5]
Replace this with the Dungeon Fantasy equivalentm the Dragon Blooded.

Quote:
Eldarain: [160]
IQ +2 [40]
Warp (10 yards, -50% Magic, -10%, Special movement: walk and be unrestrained-10%, Recharge 1min -25% Cosmic: No roll +100%) [105] Magery 1 [15]
The (in)famous warp step. Can't help you here, but it's way overpriced for what you want, and most of it is the cosmic, no roll required.
Quote:
Elf: [112]
+2 DX, +3 Per, +3 Will
Ridiculous Luck (aspected: Ranged Combat -30% ) [42]
Use Dungeon Fantasy Forest Elves. Works much better than this and for less points.
Quote:
Gnome [80]
-1 SM, +1 IQ
Artificer [10] Gizmo 2 [10] Quick Gadgeteer (nuisance effect: explosions -5%, Unnatural features 5 : maniacal expression -5%)[40]
I would use Dungeon Fantasy Gnomes. Not all of them are gadgeteers, though many are either Artificers or Thieves, due to their natural abilities...
Quote:
Halfling [~42]
-1 SM, -5 HP
Theify talent 1[?] Enhanced dodge 3
Reputation (Thieving Scum,-1 from non halflings, always) -3
Again check the Dungeon Fantasy take. Enhanced Dodge 3 is way too much.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
samd6

I know that Enhanced Dodge 3 is pretty OP. I was trying to go for the feel where Halflings are extremely hard to hit, but go down easy. In a party I made for this game, the only character who had a decent chance of hitting the Halfling was the sniper.

I also know that +3 is a huge bonus in GURPS, but DtD did the annoying thing of "2 is average, 5 is human maximum", so for some things, I translate +1 as +1, others as +3.

I will look into Dungeon Fantasy when I have money.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
The (in)famous warp step. Can't help you here, but it's way overpriced for what you want, and most of it is the cosmic, no roll required.
My current thought on a Warp Step/Flash Step or the ilk is Enhanced Move (Ground) (Second nature, +150%) [50]
Still pricey but worth it and feels less Kludgy for the effect.
In this case you have the Magic PM and Recharge so...
Enhanced Move (Ground) (Second nature, +150%; Magic PM, -10%; Recharge 1min, -25%) [43] which is considerably cheaper then the 105 for the Warp build.
With a Move of 5 its the same distance as well.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I think what I want for the Kobold Power is something like ER 5 (Costs 2 HP -10%, Any power +10%) The idea is that the Kobold can deliberately shed some of their blood to gain a boost in power. Is this workable?
So they can spend 2 HP to get +5 FP for a minute?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So they can spend 2 HP to get +5 FP for a minute?
Well for powering a spell it could be worth it.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well for powering a spell it could be worth it.
I'm not making a judgment, I'm just asking for clarification on how he wants it to work.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement