Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Son of Dave

Default Are these Spells Balanced?

Hey, I'm a pretty inexperienced GM, never run a magic-rich fantasy game before, and one of my Players asked for a couple of unique spells, so I used Rev. Pee Kitty's (SP?) spell maker/balancer to make one of the spells (Out of Fireball and Create Fire). The second spell I bashed out of Create Warrior, as most of the changes are simple special effect additions. Both of these spells are supposed to be additions to the DF Necromancer spell list, but I am not satisifed with the prerequisite choice for 'Soul Fire'.

Anyway, do you guys think these spells are balanced, and if not, what changes would make them so?

Soul-Fire (Missile)
Necromancer Spell (Deathly)
Construction: Fireball (Link +10%; Trigger: Pyre Ash -10%) + Create Fire (Link +10%; Swap Malediction and Area for Ranged -110%; Reduced Max Range to 50yrds -5%; Increased Min Range to 25yrds +10%; Reduced Acc to 1 -10%; Accessibility: Fireball Effect must kill Target -30%; Nuisance Effect -2 reactions and makes caster Obvious -15%; Permament [can be dispelled] +150%)

Cast a jet of dark, smoking, fire from one hand, whilst the caster is backlit by a nimbus of heat and smoke, and the putrid odour of burning flesh is emitted. This has 1/2D 25, Max 50, Acc 1 using Innate Attack (Beam). If the spell manages to kill its target (that is, force a HT vs Death, which is then failed), their soul will be set ablaze, potentially forever. This functions exactly like a 1yrd Create Fire spell, cast upon the remains of the target, except that it requires no maintanance, and will burn forever until either the caster cancels the spell (at the standard 1FP cost, and which can be done anywhere, anytime), or someone braves the flames to remove the remains of the target, and bury them on concecrated ground. Final Rest, cast on the flames, will dispell the effect, as will the Dispell Magic spell. The burning soul of the deceased counts as a spell 'on', thus most casters end the effect before too long, but if they die before ending it, the flames wont stop. This spell is likely to ignite flammable targets. This spell distresses the boundary between life and death, which brings with it an instinctual disgust from most witnesses, which, in addition to the cloud of smoke and embers that engulfs the caster, and the stink of the pyre, makes witness react to the caster at -2, and almost certainly brings the caster to their attention if the were not aware of him before hand.
Cost: 2 points plus, any amount up to your Magery level per second, for three seconds. The fireball does 1d burning damage per energy point beyond the first 2 points. The caster MUST consume a small portion of pyre ash, or at a pinch burnt corpse, before completion of the casting.
Time to cast: 1 to 3 seconds.
Prerequisites: Deathliness 3, Rotting Death and Final Rest

Dark Ressurection (Regular)
Necromancer Spell (Deathly)
Summons the spirit of a dead warrior, giving it a temporary substantiality. The warrior's grave site it temporarily pulled through the realm of death to the casters location, out of which the embryonic revenant crawls naked. The warrior fights as the caster commands. This spell requires the marking of a grave site to summon, which is simply a case of casting this spell at the grave (at a reduced 1FP cost). The caster may have up to IQ number of graves marked thusly. Resurrecting different revenants will bring different results, but for simplicity, the revenant has IQ 10; ST, DX, and HT 12; and skill 16 with any single weapon (or unarmed combat ability) the caster desires. The statistics of the revenants vary, each 25 points of additional advantages, or portion thereof, increases casting and maintenance costs by 1 energy. He has no weapons or armor when created, but uses what he is given.
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 4 to cast. 4 to maintain. Cost can vary according to spirit summoned, +1 cost and maintenance per 25pts of additional advantages and skills. For example a Brute Warrior with ST16 would be 6 to cast and maintain.
Time to cast: 4 seconds.
Prerequisite: Deathliness 3, Summon Spirit and Solidify

I apologise for any incoherence, essay induced sleep deprivation is interfering with me abit.
Son of Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Rasmus Wagner

Default Re: Are these Spells Balanced?

Soul-fire missile is way underpowered. It's a Fireball, with potential for (tactically insignificant) secondary effects. Run it as Fireball with the extra effects described, but costing one extra energy for the first die of damage, or let it have Fireball and a bunch of Necromancy spells as prerequisites, and just price it as 1 energy=1d.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Rasmus Wagner

Dark Ressurection could be more detailed. Actually, you should start with an "Analyze Corpse" spell, something that would be useful to most dark necromancers: It tells you the stats and skills of the corpse you'll be reviving. Then, let the corpses vary, and base the casting cost of Dark Ressurection on the stats of the specific corpse.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Son of Dave

Ok, thanks for the advice, I will take your advice regarding Soul Fire, as far as dark resurrection goes; The player has a very specific idea of the fluff for the spell (it comes from some anime or another), my goal was just to produce some balanced mechanics for it. I think an analyse corpse spell is abit unnecessary, as the Thanatology skill already does some of that, and I would be quite happy to let it provide ballpark CP totals for the purposes of the Dark Resurrection spell (especially if some research is undertaken as well, perhaps questioning the locals for any history of the deceased in question).

I am happy for Soul Fire to be abit of an energy-crock in comparison to standard missile spells, as this is a Necromancer-only spells, and I do conform to niche-protection. Fire mages should be better straight-up magical combatants, necromancers should be abit scarier in effect. Perhaps I will allow 'spirit' spells to affect Soul Fire, maybe having Command Spirit function as Shape Fire when targeting a soul-fire.
Son of Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spell design, spells