Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Very important question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
And you'd be incorrect unless you created a limited form of CM, since the rules allow for CMs to be able to do exactly that.

Here's the FAQ entry if anyone has any doubts:
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.2.30
Er, that's not what the FAQ entry says. In fact it says more or less the opposite, that you have two copies of your mental abilities, not that you can run one of them twice as fast.

Kromm's post, referenced downthread, does say this, explicitly calling Compartmentalized Mind a form of ATR (mental actions only), but I think that's a mistake. If you are going to ignore the meaning of the word compartment, you really need to ignore it across the board, for example you could recover twice as fast from a mental attack, but not have one mind affected and the other not, you couldn't have a different split personality in each mind, and you couldn't use one of your mental abilities twice trivially, any more than I can split my concentration effortlessly to do two things at once half as fast. Either that, or there needs to be a cheaper form of CM that only allows doing two things. They're two different advantages.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Er, that's not what the FAQ entry says. In fact it says more or less the opposite, that you have two copies of your mental abilities, not that you can run one of them twice as fast.
When you have TK running in both your minds at the same time you can be using them on the same item too.

Now granted, TK ST adds to the total of BL, not linearly, but you could use one mind to toss something up to the other and relay something higher and up, juggling as an example. Charging a spell is simply mental juggling.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Darekun

Quote:
Charging a spell is simply mental juggling.
I'd disagree there. Notably, you can't have two casters share an 8sec cast time to get the spell cast in 4sec. You could do a ceremonial casting involving only your various compartments, but that's something of a mug's game.

Personally, I've allowed a +0% modifier on Compartmentalized Mind that converts it into a sort of mental ATR; but you lose the resistance to mind control in exchange.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
I'd disagree there. Notably, you can't have two casters share an 8sec cast time to get the spell cast in 4sec. You could do a ceremonial casting involving only your various compartments, but that's something of a mug's game.

Personally, I've allowed a +0% modifier on Compartmentalized Mind that converts it into a sort of mental ATR; but you lose the resistance to mind control in exchange.
Do you think we should ask Molokh to add an new FAQ for clarification then, since you're clearly wrong?

After all, as quoted in:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Quote:
Q: Can you use multiple levels of CM on the same mental task (i.e., to reduce casting time of a spell)?
A: Yes. This is wholly mental, and also entirely on your internal clock and not dependent on anybody else's reactions. For this purpose alone, you can think of CM as ATR (Mental actions only). That's why it's very expensive.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Do you think we should ask Molokh to add an new FAQ for clarification then, since you're clearly wrong?

After all, as quoted in:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=55
I'm not confident regarding this one at all. While it is Kromm's word, it's quite a big patch. I wouldn't officialize it without him saying this is explicitly a change from the wording in Basic. I'm saying this with only half of my Keeper hat on, because I'm biased against the ruling.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I'm not confident regarding this one at all. While it is Kromm's word, it's quite a big patch. I wouldn't officialize it without him saying this is explicitly a change from the wording in Basic. I'm saying this with only half of my Keeper hat on, because I'm biased against the ruling.
It's not a patch/change at all, it's simply an explanation/clarification of how CM works.

If CM didn't allow for parallel processing then CM is an even more overpriced advantage. As it is it's so expensive that one can tweak/limit ATR to do some of the same stuff cheaper.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
It's not a patch/change at all, it's simply an explanation/clarification of how CM works.

If CM didn't allow for parallel processing then CM is an even more overpriced advantage. As it is it's so expensive that one can tweak/limit ATR to do some of the same stuff cheaper.
First, CM is more akin to Duplication (Digital, Own Mind) than ATR in the Basic description. Secondly, I don't think one can limit ATR to work like CM, both in terms of points and of available limitations.

I'm not against parallel processing (that's pretty obvious). But I'm very dubious about treating it as vanilla ATR (Concentrate), since many sorts of mental activities do not get a speed boost from the number of cores in the processing unit. Spellcasting is a strange one, since, indeed, two normal mages cannot normally halve the time to cast.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
First, CM is more akin to Duplication (Digital, Own Mind) than ATR in the Basic description. Secondly, I don't think one can limit ATR to work like CM, both in terms of points and of available limitations.

I'm not against parallel processing (that's pretty obvious). But I'm very dubious about treating it as vanilla ATR (Concentrate), since many sorts of mental activities do not get a speed boost from the number of cores in the processing unit. Spellcasting is a strange one, since, indeed, two normal mages cannot normally halve the time to cast.
It's akin to TK or telepathy usage, if you have a half dozen CM minds working on it, they can work together for greater results, though as mentioned, TK combines by adding BL not TK lv.
Always reminds me of the Glen Cook Garrett P.I. books...
Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
I honestly don't see how you can get that out of the description in Basic, which includes lines like "magic...and the like affect them separately" and "or two mental maneuvers (e.g., Concentrate on [two] spells)" (emphasis original)

Quote:
This is a more legitimate pricing issue, but that's surely a different issue. Though I do think Altered Time Rate, Extra Attack, Enhanced Time Sense and Compartmentalized Mind all do somewhat similar things and an Extra Actions advantage with various limitations seems like it ought to cover them all.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
malloyd

Quote:
It's akin to TK or telepathy usage, if you have a half dozen CM minds working on it, they can work together for greater results, though as mentioned, TK combines by adding BL not TK lv.
Always reminds me of the Glen Cook Garrett P.I. books...
On the other hand, if I have half a dozen duplicates, or even half a dozen allies, we can combine TK lift, but can't cast spells any faster, so I don't think there is any real analogy to be drawn. Ignoring the rules for a moment consider a pair of advantages:
(1) you have a telepathically linked Ally that happens to share your body.
(2) you can do mental things twice as fast.

I don't think anybody would argue that these are the same advantage. If Compartmentalized Mind is (2) by default, then I suppose we need a rule addition to do (1)?

And CM controls only confuses the issue more. Can my two operators combine to control a vehicle with this twice as fast? Then again the bit about the tail gun, surely ought to be Extra Attack right? There probably are too many separate advantages in this conceptual space.

Tags
compartmentalized mind, spells