Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #321
ehrbar

Default Re: Spells: Broken, but how broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Question: what do you mean by "Crushing and burning" and similar notes, for example on Fireball? Damage can't be of two types - it has to be either crushing, or burning.
Is there an explicit declaration of that anywhere?

The problem is, by the GURPS FAQ, a Fireball inflicts damage by blunt impact, which is pretty obviously crushing. However, it also is a ball of 570°F flame that can set things on fire. It seemed simplest to make it both kinds of damage. Same thought with Icy Breath, which is specifically both ice and cold air.

If it has to go one way or the other exclusively, Fireball/Explosive Fireball is probably crushing (like Ice Sphere) with a sets-things-on-fire special effect, while Icy Breath is burning like Breathe Fire with a note that it can't set things on fire.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #322
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Question: what do you mean by "Crushing and burning" and similar notes, for example on Fireball? Damage can't be of two types - it has to be either crushing, or burning.
It could be crushing with incendiary (at least in powers that works).
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #323
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
It could be crushing with incendiary (at least in powers that works).
The only listing for incendiary I see in Powers says it enhances burning attacks by making them more likely to cause things to catch on fire relative to their damage. It can't be applied directly to a crushing attack.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #324
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrbar View Post
Is there an explicit declaration of that anywhere?
It would seem either meaningless or impossibly confused when applied to the rules for wounding modifiers.

Quote:
The only listing for incendiary I see in Powers says it enhances burning attacks by making them more likely to cause things to catch on fire relative to their damage. It can't be applied directly to a crushing attack.
Basic page 105. Any attack that is not burning can be incendiary.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #325
Diomedes

Quote:
That's an option in Powers; the rules in the Basic Set apply Incindiary to any attack but burning, in which case it is essentially a linked one-point burning attack. See page B433.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #326
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Basic page 105. Any attack that is not burning can be incendiary.
That's what I get for looking in Powers instead of Basic. Okay.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #327
ehrbar

Okay, damage types made singular for Fireball, Explosive Fireball, and Icy Breath. I think that's all of them, based on my word search.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #328
Neosys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
But Sunlight explicitly says it _is_ harmful to Vampires. You'd do better to ban the spell (and Priests of the Sun God) than to make peculiar rulings like this.

Besides, the issue is not allowing Regular spells to be cast at planetary sizes for relatively affordable energy costs rather than any sort of misguided "Save the Vampires" crusade. :)
I must have misread the spell description; My bad.... And in hindsight, you're right that banning a spell is better than make snap-rulings on their use....

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i..._The_Night.gif
Neosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #329
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosys View Post
I must have misread the spell description; My bad.... And in hindsight, you're right that banning a spell is better than make snap-rulings on their use....
Ah, but my unofficial errata (linked in my sig) didn't ban the use of the spell, it just makes it expensive to make really, really big. To make a Mirror the size of Earth under 4th Edition GURPS as printed cost a mere 42 energy, easily done by any ritual circle; under my revision, it costs 7,500,000 energy.

Granted, that works out to just as impossible as a spell-specific ban on castings that large, but it's a general rule applied to the whole universe of Regular spells, and is within an order of magnitude of how much such magic cost in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition GURPS.

Tags
magic, spells