Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
laserdog

Default [Martial Arts] Melee Threat area?

One thing I enjoyed from DnD was the idea of a "threat" area around each melee fighter.

Since, in GURPS as written, if there is a 1 hex monster with 8 bladed tentacle arms in the middle of a 3 hex hallway, you can just run past him without harm.

Also, I die a little inside each time my players can simply run from in front of my PC, to their back hex, while my NPC must stand there dumbly.

Now, I understand that there are rules to mitigate the "run around" attack for the first turn, but the fact remains, that *next* turn, my NPC's tactical position is now compromised, and the "free" back hits are going to start coming fast.

In one of the campaigns I played in, the GM had a house rule that, in order to move through the front hexes of an armed person, you needed to win a contest of melee skills, or, during the clanking of blades, they scored a half damage hit on you.

What I liked most about this rule, was the idea that forming up in a line against the enemy had a very tangible tactical result. Whereas, without that, combat seems much more mercurial, with PCs and NPCs running to where ever they need to be.

I was sad to see no such option to represent this in Martial Arts.

Does anyone know if such a rule was discussed in playtest?

Also, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried a similar house rule and the result.

Thank you.
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
ham2anv

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Melee Threat area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog
Also, I die a little inside each time my players can simply run from in front of my PC, to their back hex, while my NPC must stand there dumbly.

Now, I understand that there are rules to mitigate the "run around" attack for the first turn, but the fact remains, that *next* turn, my NPC's tactical position is now compromised, and the "free" back hits are going to start coming fast.
Why can't your NPC turn around?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

From my single 5-session campaign in D20 Modern, I can say that I hate the AoO rule: it means that a fighter who is already attacking at full rate can attack a few extra times at no penalty just because 20 orks run by.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Extrarius

How are your players repeatedly scoring hits on a move-and-attack?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Bruno

Your NPCs, if they're trying to block a hallway, should be using Wait actions, not attacking. There's only so much a body can do in one second, after all.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
laserdog

Now, now, I know we all love GURPS, I love GURPS. My request for a rule should in no way be taken as me attempting to besmirch GURPS.

If you think I don't understand the rules, or if you yourself don't understand my want of a house rule for one of my campaigns, I humbly suggest you move on to a thread you find more interesting.

Please only post if you have a solution, rather than an argument that I have no problem.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Now, now, I know we all love GURPS, I love GURPS. My request for a rule should in no way be taken as me attempting to besmirch GURPS.

If you think I don't understand the rules, or if you yourself don't understand my want of a house rule for one of my campaigns, I humbly suggest you move on to a thread you find more interesting.
I was just suggesting something that might get the effect you wanted out of the system as it stands.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
laserdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Your NPCs, if they're trying to block a hallway, should be using Wait actions, not attacking. There's only so much a body can do in one second, after all.
Having to always choose wait to keep someone from running past you is a losing proposition.

I'm looking for something as realistic as "parry". You have a readied blade in your hand, someone in front of you does something dumb, you instantly react.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
laserdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv
Why can't your NPC turn around?
Because that will put 3 PCs to his backside. Hardly an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius
How are your players repeatedly scoring hits on a move-and-attack?
I specifically stated my concern was with the *next* combat round. The one where your flankers can make normal attacks.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
I'm looking for something as realistic as "parry". You have a readied blade in your hand, someone in front of you does something dumb, you instantly react.
Unless you chose Wait as your action, you aren't just standing around with a readied blade in your hand.

You might be moving around, attacking someone else or focusing exclusively on defence; but you are not standing still and preparing to attack someone who moves into your threat range.

That action is called Wait.

Since the GURPS combat scale is only one second for each round, there is no assumed extra time for observation, taking advantage of opportunities or standing around with weapons en-garde. If the player desires such actions, he has to explicitly choose to perform them.

Tags
interdiction, obstruction