Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Canology

Default 13 bad guys needed

One of the story arcs in my "Dimension Hopping" campaign is going to focus on dealing with a criminal mastermind (ala Kingpin) who has arranged to get out of his supervillain prison (like the one in Deadpool II). He is going to be sprung by a villain who can open gates to different dimensions. This gate-opening guy is going to have fumbled his roll for the destination and "Kingpin" and his band of low-level lackeys will be deposited in a post apocalyptic setting. They will find themselves in the Kingdom of New Hampshire (which stretches from around Quebec down to northern Massachussetts). The world ended by disease, followed by war, and the survivors are living in small farming communities and the capitol of Concord (which only was half gutted by the rioting and looting). They have some guns but try to rely on muscle powered weapons when possible.

So, into this grim, but mostly peaceful world comes "Kingpin" and his 13 orange jumpsuit wearing lackeys. The natives start to call these bullies and thugs "The Orangemen" and they terrify the locals in the farming region that they arrive in. "Kingpin" decides to make the best of the situation by styling himself emperor and taking everything over.

The lackeys are very low-level supervillains and for reason of my own, I assigned them random point values. But I kinda want to be surprised by them, and that is where you folks come in. I need 13 villains created with the following point values:

48 points +14 points for super abilities Link

80 points +10 points for super abilities Link

75 points +9 points for super abilities Link

127 points +30 points for super abilities Link

63 points +12 points for super abilities Link

53 points +12 points for super abilities

153 points +23 points for super abilities Link

75 points +15 points for super abilities Link

53 points +14 points for super abilities Link

63 points +27 points for super abilities Link

121 points +22 points for super abilities Link

173 points +10 points for super abilities Link

53 points +16 points for super abilities Link

The super points are the only ones you can use for super abilities (please feel free to stretch the points if you can with limitations, etc). The rest of the points are for whatever else the character has with no more than half the original value in Disads plus 5 Quirks if wanted. They should be from a modern US super prison, from a world sorta like the Marvel universe.

tl;dr

Help me by making some super bad guys using the above parameters.

Thanks in advance for any scumbags you can come up with for me! :)

*******Edited to show the ones that have been created already.

Last edited by Canology; 07-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Canology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Boomerang

Default Re: 13 bad guys needed

The point totals seem really low for super villains.

For my own campaign the super henchman are generally 700 points or more.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
Phantasm

Those point totals may be low, but for street-level one-power henchmen from Henchmen For Hire, they may be valid.

However, the key with NPCs is not so much their point value as it is the final numbers. Do you want a guy with Guns (Pistol)-12, Brawling-12, and a .357 Magnum revolver (a veteran street thug); a guy with Karate-14, Innate Attack (Breath)-16, and a flame jet attack doing 6d×2 burn var (Fire Lad of the Legion of Substitute Heroes); a guy with an Alternate Form (Stone) that gives Super ST 20/110, DR 20, and Numb (Stone Boy of the Subs); or a girl with Insubstantiality (Partial; Reflexive) and Karate-16 (Shadowcat at age 16)?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 AM   #4
Canology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Those point totals may be low, but for street-level one-power henchmen from Henchmen For Hire, they may be valid.

However, the key with NPCs is not so much their point value as it is the final numbers. Do you want a guy with Guns (Pistol)-12, Brawling-12, and a .357 Magnum revolver (a veteran street thug); a guy with Karate-14, Innate Attack (Breath)-16, and a flame jet attack doing 6d×2 burn var (Fire Lad of the Legion of Substitute Heroes); a guy with an Alternate Form (Stone) that gives Super ST 20/110, DR 20, and Numb (Stone Boy of the Subs); or a girl with Insubstantiality (Partial; Reflexive) and Karate-16 (Shadowcat at age 16)?
Yes. :)

Any of those would work. I just know my own design style, and I want to be surprised by some cool ideas I may not have thought of. And I gave the non-powers points to give them attributes and skills that fit their concept.

A 700 pt henchman would utterly destroy the whole party of 50 - 200 pt mostly* regular folks who make up the dimension hopping party. I want guys that they have to really work at trying to take out, possibly one at a time, with locals helping to gang up.

* They have access to some minor magic and modern weapons, but only a couple have any military background.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
Aldric

Problem is that, with those numbers a fire breath attack would probably be around 2d, not 6d×2. I don't have access to the books atm, probably with a few limitations you could actually do it.

High DR would work really well in the setting, but again, it's quite expensive, Tough Skin is agiven, and for an akternate form, even Cant wear armor is good.
I never worked with super strength, but Str +10 is way too much, unless you buy it as a normal ability on one of the high points guys.

I would add someone that can access computers remotely, totally useless atm, but would have been part of the team if available... And arent there rules to ignore limitations with Effort?
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
Phantasm

A few questions:

1) What are the combat/chase capabilities of the PCs? This includes dodge, HT, Will, Acrobatics, DR (natural and worn armor), and IT:DR as well as their offensive capability.

2) Do you want henchmen for them to plow through (the kind that go down with one hit) or henchmen that are an even match to the PCs? Basically, are they the Henchmen For Hire rent-a-thugs from gangs the Joker takes over, facing Batman with nothing but a gun and a prayer that Bats takes them down with only a broken arm to show for it before Joker shoots them for gits and shiggles; are they supposed to be more like Mr. Sinister's Marauders, a team on an even footing with the X-Men in raw power, or somewhere in-between?

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-17-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
Phantasm

I should note that I do not design my adversarial NPCs on any kind of point budget. Most of the time I don't even assign them Quirks nor do I bother with skills like Farming, Gardening, Singing, or Musical Instrument (unless they're pulling a Pied Piper, using a trumpet with Musical Influence). A full character sheet is often overkill for this kind of NPC.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

This looks less like a band of supervillians and more like the sort of thugs magneto hires when he requires cheap muscle, but I digress.

Should the NPC builds include "Fluff Skills" like sports, musical instrument, and so forth?

A lot of the powers are much more useful at about double where you put them, in the 20-40 range, not the 10-20.
The powers are the hardest and most interesting part, so I'll get started on those:
  • Elastic Skin ( 4 times per day -20%, super -10%) [14]
  • Clinging (Concrete only -40%, super -10%) [10]
  • Affliction (Amnesia +10%, melee C -30%, contact agent -30%, extended duration +40%) [9]
  • Penetrating Vision 2 (super -10%, blocked by earth or stone -30%) [12]
  • Clairsentience (clairosmia -60%, visible -10%, super -10%) [10] + robust smell [1] + autotrance = [12]

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Meta Comment: These guys are so screwed, before the PCs even get there. They went into super prison with (I presume) the skill sets of a modern criminal in most cases, and get dumped out without equipment into a post apocalypse whose survivors are organized enough to make it through plague, war, and start farming communities. These are the toughest, most stubborn, most outdoorsy, and best-armed people pre-apoc New Hampshire had, and pre-apoc New Hampshire is a sparsely-populated hive of Libertarians. I cannot imagine a scenario in which a small bunch of strangers who seem odd, possibly look odd, and demonstrate odd abilities of uncertain scope and potency would not be met with a lynch mob, let alone one that shows up in uniforms and starts trying to throw its weight around.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canology View Post
48 points +14 points for super abilities
That said, I'll still play this game, starting with the weakest link:

Jimmy "The Bee" McGee [48 + 14 Points]:

Image: A short, chubby white man, somewhere in his late 40s, early 50s. He'd be kind of good-looking maybe if he was younger, lost some weight, and didn't have sunken eyes and a generally shaky, desperate look about him.

Culture: TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 11 [10];

Secondary: Speed: 6.0 [15]; Move: 6 [0]; HP: 12 [4]; FP: 11 [0]; Perception: 12 [5]; Willpower: 11 [0];

Advantages: Night Vision X2 [2]; Less Sleep x2 [4];

Powers: Alternate Form (See Notes) (Super -10%) [14];

Perks: Dabbler (Casual Hunter/Fisherman: +2 Defaults on Camouflage, Fishing, Survival: Forest, and Tracking) [1]; Good With Dogs [1];

Disadvantages: Callousness [-5]; Chronic Pain (Mild, 8 Hours, 12-) (Mitigator: Meds -60%) [-8]; Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]; Overweight [-1];

Quirks: Gun/Hunting Enthusiast [-1]; Mild Bad Temper [-1]; Mild Greed [-1]; Mild Paranoia [-1]; Nosy [-1];

Skills: Area Knowledge (E) (New Hampshire) IQ [1]-11; Camouflage (E) IQ-2d [0]-9; Driving/TL8 (A) (Automobile) DX-1 [1]-9; Fishing (E) Per-2d [0]-10; Guns (E) (Rifle) DX [1]-10; Mechanic/TL8 (A) (Automobile) IQ+1 [4]-12; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-11; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4]-12; Survival (A) (Forest) Per-3d [0]-9; Tracking (A) Per-3d [0]-9;

Notes: The Alternate Form is an ordinary yellowjacket hornet in every way, except that it retains Jimmy's normal IQ and HP.

Background: Jimmy was just a petty super crook, stealing to support his drug habit after he lost his job to an off-site injury and needed more meds than his disability would cover. Then one day he accidentally stung a wildly-allergic civilian in self-defense and caught a few years in super prison. He is not stupid, and knows full well that he is the smallest fish in this pond. His general strategy is to make himself as valuable as he can to the other Orangemen and the Kingpin, playing on what strengths he has as a modestly-capable and stable member of the team as much as his paranormal utility as a scout, spy, burglar, and in rare cases potential hyper-specialized assassin.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 06-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote