Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Dexion

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Elven Melee Weapons

Magnificent option for blades!
Elven Weapons become really so extraordinary.

But, I am curious to know how to manage them for a human character armorer (or an Elf of course) who is talented but who would want to repair or to make it. By using the Manufacturing rules of LTC3. I think than a Craft Secret Perk would be necessary at least and very specific materials? As well as a malus to the Armoury skill for the familiarization?
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
Magnificent option for blades!
Elven Weapons become really so extraordinary.

But, I am curious to know how to manage them for a human character armorer (or an Elf of course) who is talented but who would want to repair or to make it. By using the Manufacturing rules of LTC3. I think than a Craft Secret Perk would be necessary at least and very specific materials? As well as a malus to the Armoury skill for the familiarization?
It depends on the background. If Elves never teach their secrets to non-Elves it's an Unusual Background, but if they do Craft Secret would be perfect.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Eh, best left to NPC craft-masters for DF.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
Kalzazz

Tempered glass is noted as something elves like, so tempered glass elven weapons would be slick
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 AM   #15
c0matose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
That's right! Armor Divisor/Multiplier of (1) doesn't do anything, because X/1 and X*1 are identical, resulting in X!

Jeeze, did the New Math kill everyone's Algebra skills? o.O
Do you play gurps? AD1 takes 1 off any armour you hit, so DR2 leather armour would only defend as if it had DR1, It doesn't actually divide the armour value by that figure. (Also im not sure if armour multiplier is a thing at all)
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #16
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0matose View Post
Do you play gurps? AD1 takes 1 off any armour you hit, so DR2 leather armour would only defend as if it had DR1, It doesn't actually divide the armour value by that figure. (Also im not sure if armour multiplier is a thing at all)
No, I'm sorry to inform you that Armour Divisor, does in fact divide the DR of the target by the quantity in brackets. Hence why you never encounter an Armour Divisor of 1, and why the Enhancement is so expensive for Innate Attacks.

It's the only way to represent certain attacks that are really good at penetrating, but less good at wounding.

EDIT: For more detail see GURPS Basic Set p. 268, there's a section on Armour Divisors in the Damage section.

Last edited by Wavefunction; 04-02-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #17
c0matose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
No, I'm sorry to inform you that Armour Divisor, does in fact divide the DR of the target by the quantity in brackets. Hence why you never encounter an Armour Divisor of 1, and why the Enhancement is so expensive for Innate Attacks.

It's the only way to represent certain attacks that are really good at penetrating, but less good at wounding.

EDIT: For more detail see GURPS Basic Set p. 268, there's a section on Armour Divisors in the Damage section.
Well don't I look a fool. Apologies. Is that not horrendously overpowered then? AD3 can bring the heaviest armour in the Basic Set down to the level of mere leather for around $10k (estimation based on cost of AD2 in DF1) which is easily available after 2 dungeon crawls?
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #18
Wavefunction

Quote:
Well don't I look a fool. Apologies. Is that not horrendously overpowered then? AD3 can bring the heaviest armour in the Basic Set down to the level of mere leather for around $10k (estimation based on cost of AD2 in DF1) which is easily available after 2 dungeon crawls?
I've never had any problem with it, but I suppose that's because it hasn't really come up in my games. I don't tend to be quite so generous with the cash, and my campaigns are usually races against time to a certain extent, encouraging players not to hang around waiting for their weapon to be enchanted.

What I would say is that while the protection is reduced, the armour does still provide some protection, and the protection of leather armour isn't to be sniffed at.

Also, a lot of enchantment costs are exponential (sort of), Penetrating Weapon included. AD (3) is 3x the cost of AD (2) at $15,000, whilst AD (5) is just over 3x the cost of AD (3) at $50,000.

You're really paying for the extra damage, and that's dependent on how heavily armoured your opponent is, the Armour Divisor might have no effect at all if they're unarmoured.

However, if you think that's too cheap, just rule that Penetrating Weapon is a more expensive enchantment in your game.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 AM   #19
Mailanka

Quote:
Alright, you're mixing two things here. Either you're using the straight DF rules, in which case AD(3) doesn't exist (for a reason). Or you're deriving your enchantments from GURPS Magic (the same place where DF derived its enchantments), in which case Penetrating Weapon, the spell, is found on page M63. Penetrating Weapon 1 (AD (2)) costs 250 energy points (thus, $5000), while Penetrating Weapon 2 (AD(3)) costs 750 energy points, so it's three times the cost (thus, $15000).

As to why these spells work this way: First of all, AD only applies to DR. It's possible that your opponent will be, for example, homogenous, or simply have loads of HP, or will have Hardened DR. In that case, AD might not help at all. Secondly, GURPS is a generic game. Armor Divisor adds or subtracts a single point might make a lot of sense if you're regularly dealing with DRs that are between 1-7, but at TL 10 you get people running around in DR 150 heavy battlesuits, essentially walking tanks. At that point, you definitely want some kind of proportional armor divisor, and that's where you see armor divisors cropping up the most: Bullets or missiles meant to deal with high-tech armored targets (like tanks or bullet-proof vests).

Having an enchantment with extreme armor divisor might be absolutely vital for some cyberpunk elven street-samurai in a shadowrun knock-off for slicing open police in hardsuits, but it might be overkill in a game like DF, which is why DF doesn't allow, for example, Penetrating Weapon 5 ("Ignores DR")
Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
Anders

Where there are Elves there are Orcs...

Orcish weapons (Kromm PM): I think it would be cooler to say orcish weapons don't get bonus damage, but if they penetrate DR, all the teeth and serrations give +1 HP of final injury. I'd allow that to balance -1 to reactions for a net 0 CF.

I'd give -1 to all rolls to try to get into a village despite your Social Stigma as well, and +1 to Intimidation and Interrogation if the weapon is used prominently in the attempt.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, elven, elves, quality, rules clarification