Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #41
Zed

Default Re: [DF] I can haz gunpowderz?

Its really a style choice. Do you want characters with guns? It doesn't matter the TL, any guns. Yes or no? Would you want scouts with some fantasy version of a musket instead of a bow? Or Ninja's with RPG equivalents? No? Then make guns/gunpowder just not work/not exist/not possible or gimp them so severely, they are a play thing collecting dust in wizard labs.

If you do want such things... its not hard to justify their existence. Even TL gets kinda fuzzy with magic involved:

Diviner to holy gods "How do I make x/y/z improvements to a gun?"
holy gods to Diviner "Shove off! You'll shoot yer eye out!"
Diviner to Asmodeous "Same question"
Asmodeous to Diviner "So glad you asked! This one's free! Share it with your friends! First things you do is rifle..." etc etc.

Just ask yourself if you want your game with guns or without and how far you want to take them. Dedicated gun-wielding classes? cinematic? realistic? Al great questions after you make a choice on that initial setting toggle/dial.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #42
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
There is no reason I can see to like Pi++ over Imp.
If that were the only difference, then there's little reason to use BP. However, BP weapons can give you excellent base damage values (particularly for lower ST characters), pi++ is no worse than imp unless you're going for a small number of specific hit locations, and any DF campaign worthy of the name will have plenty of zombies, demons, golems, and other monsters with IT(Homogenous), where neither imp nor pi will do you any good.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #43
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
If that were the only difference, then there's little reason to use BP. However, BP weapons can give you excellent base damage values (particularly for lower ST characters), pi++ is no worse than imp unless you're going for a small number of specific hit locations, and any DF campaign worthy of the name will have plenty of zombies, demons, golems, and other monsters with IT(Homogenous), where neither imp nor pi will do you any good.
Excellent for DF? Not that I have seen.

I mean when you get Barbarians or Ogres with Boomerangs or other sw damage thrown weapons and the damage codes just are not that remarkable. Hmm should SM+1 slings do Pi+ dammage?

Last edited by blacksmith; 09-13-2010 at 02:13 PM.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #44
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Excellent for DF? Not that I have seen.
You regularly see PCs with missile attacks comparable to the flintlocks' 4d or the blunderbuss' 1d with a 1x9 RoF? How many points are you playing at? Even a flintlock pistol's 2d-1 is better than a pistol crossbow's thr+2 until your ST passes the mid-teens.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #45
blacksmith

Quote:
You regularly see PCs with missile attacks comparable to the flintlocks' 4d or the blunderbuss' 1d with a 1x9 RoF? How many points are you playing at?
250. High ST characters with swing thrown weapons are in that range. OF course for the weight and trouble I don't figure muskets as important in a DF environment
Quote:
Even a flintlock pistol's 2d-1 is better than a pistol crossbow's thr+2 until your ST passes the mid-teens.
And with the reload time just pass it off the the barbarian to cock with a goats foot, that would be comparable. Call it what a st 24 or so attack?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #46
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
250. High ST characters with swing thrown weapons are in that range.
That's well and good for the ST 20+ barbarian and occasional knight or holy warrior, who are built to do exceptionally high damage. However, artificers, wizards, thieves, and all the other characters not built around very high ST values don't even get close, and even with knights and holy warriors, you have to work at it. For everybody who isn't at the upper end of the ST scale, gunpowder weapons do really, really good damage. Yes, they're fire-and-forget, but it's a pretty memorable single shot.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #47
malloyd

Quote:
That's well and good for the ST 20+ barbarian and occasional knight or holy warrior, who are built to do exceptionally high damage. However, artificers, wizards, thieves, and all the other characters not built around very high ST values don't even get close, and even with knights and holy warriors, you have to work at it. For everybody who isn't at the upper end of the ST scale, gunpowder weapons do really, really good damage. Yes, they're fire-and-forget, but it's a pretty memorable single shot.
Of course their proper comparison is probably not with boringly ordinary hand weapons but with similarly expensive Fine, Dwarven, magically enhanced ones. Or a scroll or wand of maxed out missile spells.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #48
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yes, they're fire-and-forget, but it's a pretty memorable single shot.
I suspect (and if I get some significant free time, I'll test it) that one can build a pretty effective arquebusier/musketeer/pistoleer for 250pts around Gunslinger and some of the options in Gun-Fu. Especially if such a character uses a brace of weapons.

EDIT: Compared to the Scout who really needs both Heroic Archer and Weapon Master to be really effective, the gun-guy can do most of the same tricks for less points since he only needs Gunslinger (Black Powder Weapons) or even just Gunslinger (Pistols) or (Muskets).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #49
mlangsdorf

I've found that with Scouts, the difference between the Im 1d+3 non Weapon Master versus the 1d+5 with Weapon master really pales compared to whether or not the foe is vulnerable to eyeball shots. If the target is, then Weapon Master doesn't matter, and if they aren't, the extra 2 points of damage and +2 to hit when rapid shooting don't really matter.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #50
Kalzazz

If he is allowed to take the 'guns dont count as encumbrance perk', he can be a walking gun rack, mostly ignoring reload times

And TL 4 guns are pretty cheap

Could draw and fire pistols every round with fastdraw, or muskets every other round
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gunpowder