Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [DF] I can haz gunpowderz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
They give off a lot of smoke compared to a modern firearm, but the smoke from a single person firing a pistol (or even a musket) once every 30 seconds or so probably isn't going to be enough to obscure even a single square.
We had a guy with a gun in one of the PBP games. He really hosed his character getting a weapon which took too long to use and didn't destroy what it hit when it did hit.

From that experience, guns aren't that important to the story unless you bring in lots of them or allow repeating varieties. At DF tech levels you can't justify much better gunnes than the ones historically seen in the 12th century. And those come with so many inherent restrictions on them they aren't all that playable.

An enemy wizard knows Ignite Fire and Throw Spell and kknows how gunpower operates. Your powder horn ignites from his thrown ignite fire. You go boom. Even if you don't die, you'r precious powder supply is gone and you are effectively out of the gunslinging business.

Water Jet does seriously affect you buddy.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Captain-Captain

The advantage of Ignite Fire and Thrown Spell here is you do not have to HIT a target. The point of casting the spell, for range purposes starts where the thrown spell hits. If you hit a couple of yards away, you're a couple of points penalized on the Ignite Fire spell. If skill 16 a -3 range is 13-. No resistance issues here if the powder holder is flammable, just pay the proper Fatigue to be able to ignite it..

Fire proof horn? Yawn. Ok -5 to target the spell on the powder inside the horn because I can't see the powder itself through the horn. For that maybe hitting the horn with the THrow Spell becomes important. The energy cost to ignite gunpowder shouldn't be an issue at skilll 15+.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
pyratejohn

The workaround is, of course, to make the black powder magical black powder. Magical black powder is impervious to magically created fires. While I haven't looked through GURPS books to find the rule for doing it, this is GURPS, so I'm sure there is a way.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
The workaround is, of course, to make the black powder magical black powder. Magical black powder is impervious to magically created fires. While I haven't looked through GURPS books to find the rule for doing it, this is GURPS, so I'm sure there is a way.
New spell. Existing anti-incindiary magic works on FIRES in general and it is something llike essential fire that might ignore a protection (ie Devitalized Air won't affect Essential Flame). You'd have to invent something that would stop magic but not mundane ignition.

I'd suggest for cost considerations an alchemical concoction that you pour into the powder and dry in the manufacturing process. A spell has a duration probloem and enchantment could put the cost of a shot higher than the ball could reach.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Ed the Coastie

Swashbuckler + a brace of caplock revolvers = a truly awesome character
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
New spell. Existing anti-incindiary magic works on FIRES in general and it is something llike essential fire that might ignore a protection (ie Devitalized Air won't affect Essential Flame). You'd have to invent something that would stop magic but not mundane ignition.
How about a horn devitalizing its interior continuously?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Is DF TL3 or 4? Would a Arquesiuer/Musketeer/Grenadier/Pirate Template need Hight TL? Such a Template could be built around Gunslinger and use a lot of the options in Gun Fu.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Is DF TL3 or 4? Would a Arquesiuer/Musketeer/Grenadier/Pirate Template need Hight TL? Such a Template could be built around Gunslinger and use a lot of the options in Gun Fu.
That's a good question. I think DF work better as TL4, because a) they have things like Rapiers, and b) it works better for Artificers who can use clockwork engines (TL4 canonically, I think). But I think the best description is that DF is TL DF. You can always have TL4 without gunpowder, of course.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
mlangsdorf

DF is somewhere between TL3 and TL4 - some TL4 weapons and armor are available.

The problem with a swashbuckler/pirate template is that TL4 guns are underwhelming. The .51 caliber flintlock pistol weighs 3 lbs and does 2d-1 Pi+ damage, compared to a ST13 Pistol Crossbow (ST11 user, Crossbow at DX+2, and Crossbow Finesse does 1d+2 Im damage) which has a better rate of fire at only 4 lbs. The Flintlock musket at 4d Pi++ is better than any reasonable crossbow, but you can carry two crossbows for the weight of 1 musket and fire more versatile ammo. I don't think a flintlock sharpshooter who fires a 4d++ shot at Acc 2 every 10 or 20 seconds is going to be viable against the Scout.

You really need TL5 revolvers to practically match the Scout as a ranged combatant. Using the .36 revolver to spray 6 shots, and then reload for 18 seconds, creates a combatant with a lower overall rate of fire than a Scout, but equivalent or slightly better "burst" capability, especially in ambush situations.
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
talonthehand

Since the Wildman racial template has a TL -3 penalty, we can infer that DF is TL 3 by default, though fencing weapons are given a pass.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gunpowder