Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #1
fifiste

Default Illusions power/advantage/advantage set

I was thinking how do you stat an advantage of creating convincing sensory hallucinations/illusions as you seem fit.

As in the X2 movie where Magneto and prof X are both "imprisoned" in completeley illusionary world conjured BY jason strykers abilities.

One of the effects seems similar to affliction with incapacitating effect hallucinating. But such a power could have many other uses - not only incapacipating foes in combat, but also tricking them to reveal their plans or brainwashing them by impersonating someone else while keeping them immersed in completely illusonary "reality".
You could also create partial illusions to confound or mislead persons otherwise acting on real world data (lose/cloak an item, create an illusion of nonexisting threat etc.)
You could also use your illusions for communications or entertainment.

How could such a wide set of effects be most reasonably built?. I do understand it should be rather expensive depending how hard it is to resist - but if you fail your resistance roll you are pretty much at the mercy of the illusion master. And it has other non-devious utilitarian uses to boot.

Maybe Mind control with some enchancments would be the starting point for pricing. The effect on the victim would be as bad as losing a resistance roll to mind control and in many ways similar.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
fifiste

Default Re: Illusions power/advantage/advantage set

Hmm ok should have taken a better look at the Powers book. It seems that Illusion (25pt) with mental (100%) makes up most that I'd want. It even falls into the price range I guessed (50pt = mind control).
To make it more expensive to use its many open ended possibilities it would just be appropriate to roll for different skill rolls for specific circumstances (artist illusion,interrogation,intimidation, and several others might all come into play if you want to use your illusions to certain effects)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote