Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [IC] Nightwatch (Weird Supers)

The man who is sometimes known as Jack Riley gets up around 7:30 and begins his morning routine. On the local news, he hears that six men and one woman were found shot to death in an apartment yesterday "in what police say may be gang-related violence," and makes a mental note that this is something that might be worth investigating later.

Then, at exactly 9:00 a.m., hears a message over his police band radio. It begins as follows:
Quote:
People of Earth,

For more than half a century, the nations of Earth been in violation of the Pan-Galactic Treaties Against Weapons of Mass Destruction. Now this situation has reached the final days of decision. We have watched as the nations of Earth talked of destroying their weapons of mass destruction, and halting their spread. However, our faith in the nations of Earth has not been rewarded.
The message--delivered in what sounds like the voice of a male TV or radio announcer--goes on at some length about why the "nations of Earth" have proven they are untrustworthy. It is occasionally interrupted by chatter from police officers, some of whom eventually tell the others to shut up and listen, which they do. Then the message says:
Quote:
The danger is clear: using weapons of mass destruction, a nation of Earth may one day carry out its threat to cause the extinction of humanity. Furthermore, the nations of Earth are now developing faster than light travel, which would enable them to cause the extinction of other species.

The species of the Galactic Federation of Star Systems and the non-starfaring species of the galaxy did nothing to deserve or invite this threat. But we will do everything to defeat it. Instead of drifting along toward tragedy, we will set a course toward safety. Before the day of horror can come, before it is too late to act, this danger will be removed. The Federation Council has passed a resolution to disarm Earth of its weapons of mass destruction. The duty has fallen to me, General Pontius the Pacifier, to enforce this resolution.

All the decades of anarchy and cruelty have now reached an end. The Permanent Members must abdicate power within 48 hours, and cooperate with the disarmament of Earth. Their refusal to do so will result in military conflict, commenced at a time of our choosing.
It goes on to exhort the "people of Earth," especially "military personnel," to cooperate, promising a new era of peace and prosperity if they do. Then it begins to go on at great length about the justness of what "we" are doing.

Midway through the message, the local news switches to a "breaking news report"--apparently, this message is being broadcast on many frequencies. They're calling it a "purported message from extraterrestrials," and have mentioned the possibility that this is a prank being played with hacked communications satellites. Nothing like this has ever happened before. There have been plenty of rumors of covert extraterrestrial contact, but if this isn't a prank, it will be the first instance of overt alien contact in human history.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Skullcrusher

Default Re: [IC] Nightwatch (Weird Supers)

Jack shakes his head,"If it is a prank these guys are good. If it's real then let them come...I'll be ready!" as he grabs a heavy pistol unloads the clip and checks what bullets he has in them. He loads it with a standard round load and cocks it. He heads to the bathroom to take a shower and then he will eat. His plan for the rest of the day is to investigate the murders. He will dress in his street clothes grabbing both his pistols (placing one in a holster in the small of his back and one under his left arm pit).

He grabs one of his burners and calls the latest number Cyrus gave him geting the usual message of silence then a beep he says,"It's Kane I assume you are following what is happening on the news. Anything you can tell me? Going to go investigate the killings on the news. Call me." he puts the burner plus 2 others in his pocket (setting to vibrate) and heads out.

(OOC: do I need to roll the hold rolls or does the GM?)

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 04-06-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Michael Thayne

Cyrus calls Jack back almost immediately.

"Kane, I was just about to call you. Listen, you're going to go investigate the shootings? Six men, one woman, found in an apartmnet?" the familiar, computer-masked voice asks. "Good, but be careful. We may be looking at a single perpetrator here, a super-human. Abilities suspected to include superhuman marksmanship, possibly infallible. Gender is possibly female. Even if the cops catch her--or him--they may not be able to hold them, so if I'm right, it's really important that you deal with this situation as soon as possible. But exercise extreme caution."
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Skullcrusher

"Roger that Cyrus. I will go casual to do some investigations during the day. Any ideas where I should start to look for this super?" He opens his concealed wall in his underground safe house exposing his Nightwatch armor. Looking at it for a minute he says,"I feel kinda exposed going out as Jack Riley but I can't just go walking around as Nightwatch during the day. Especially at a crime scene. Any chance you scrounge up some concealable armor and some credentials to get me in?"

OOC: Forgot to comeup with how he investigates during the day figure now is as god a time to try and get some "Daytime" investigation garb...

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 04-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Cyrus gives Jack the address and says, "The perpetrator may be based somewhere in the area. Also, likely to be the kind of person who keeps to themselves, rents an apartment in cash, maybe changes addresses frequently." In response to his request for additional armor and credentials, Cyrus simply says, "I'll see what I can do."
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Cyrus gives Jack the address and says, "The perpetrator may be based somewhere in the area. Also, likely to be the kind of person who keeps to themselves, rents an apartment in cash, maybe changes addresses frequently."
"Sounds familiar...." Kane says, "I'll contact you if I find anything useful...Kane out" Jack leaves his safehouse and heads through the tunnels to one of his many street level exits.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

OOC: So what's his plan?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Skullcrusher

OOC: what is the address Cyrus gave him? The location of the murder? If so he will examine the area to see what would be the best tactical location for someone with a sniper rifle to get a clear shot of the area.

Is Totems Character former character now NPC available for him to contact to see if he has any info.

Lastly he will try to talking to the neighbors....but he will need to procure a badge or something to pass himself off as a cop. Perhaps a streetwise roll to get the required id and badge?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Michael Thayne

Give me rolls against Streetwise, either Observation or Tactics (for seeing where the shots could have come from), and Interrogation. Do you want to talk to Sergi before or after visiting the crime scene?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Skullcrusher

After as long as he can get in and has the fake badge.

streetwise - 16 or less Observation - 14 or less Interrogation 12 or less (3d6=14, 3d6=11, 3d6=11)

Streetwise made by 2

Observation made by 3

Interrogation made by 1

Tags
weird supers