Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default [UT] shotguns in boots and gloves?

Hello!

So I've been thinking of a character who is in universe a big fan of Bayonneta, and who decided to take a page or two from her book.

It's for an urban fantasy.

She's an ace pilot who can hijack just about anything as long as she touches it, has some telekinetic boots that can stick up to any surface (they are strong enough to hold her upside down on the ceiling with her full kit), ace shotgunner and acrobat extraordinaire.

So after playing a bit too much Bayonneta she got the idea to trick her gloves (armored gloves that look like biker gloves) and boots (same) with 3 shots shotguns that she can use even if she was disarmed. They are a backup weapon to be used at point blank range (say, to cripple the legs of her enemy and then follow with a blast to the head), or close to it, and using standard plastic case shotgun ammo.

My best guess would be that using a melee strike and following with a shotgun blast would be equivalent to two weapon fighting, most of the attacks being a melee feint followed by the shotgun blast.

What kind of stats would these trick weapons have?

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 06-28-2016 at 09:48 AM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:46 AM   #2
Tallor

Default Re: [UT] shotguns in boots and gloves?

At that short of a length, I'd say Accuracy 1 at most. Standard 20G shells would make sense, and would do 1d pi damage with 7 pellets. At point-blank range (according to GURPS: Tactical Shooting), it would be doing 3d+1 pi++ versus enemy DR x 3.5.

That's all I got.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
At that short of a length, I'd say Accuracy 1 at most. Standard 20G shells would make sense, and would do 1d pi damage with 7 pellets. At point-blank range (according to GURPS: Tactical Shooting), it would be doing 3d+1 pi++ versus enemy DR x 3.5.

That's all I got.
I was thinking more along the lines of Ultra Tech shotguns with a neural interface, but thanks anyways. Magic has allowed to jump start TL 9 for an organization that keeps the technology to themselves until they have neutralized the threats they face, and then they plan on sharing the technology. :)
Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
McAllister

You definitely can't take Aim maneuvers with guns in boots, and probably not in gloves, so Acc is probably irrelevant... unless Gunslinger, in which case yeah, Acc 1 seems right. Bulk would be low, like -2 or so, but again, Gunslinger removes that from most/all things?

Other than that, yeah, I'd say 20G buckshot seems sensible. If you want 12G, I'm going to start measuring barrel diameters and wondering if there's a penalty to fighting in platform boots.

What, exactly, do you need statted?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
You definitely can't take Aim maneuvers with guns in boots, and probably not in gloves, so Acc is probably irrelevant...
The thing being UT, you might well have a smartgun and s HUD that would allow aiming.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
McAllister

Oh jeez, that makes some sense. Tactical Shooting told me aimed shooting involved looking down sights, but in a UT context I don't even know.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello!

So
What kind of stats would these trick weapons have?
Um, the stats you get when you use character pts to buy them as Gadgets? Your PC isn't likely to be happy with stats based on real world possibilities.

Still, if you insist on using shotgun shells your book is HT and not UT. Your exemplar weapon is the Sedgely Glove Pistol from p.198. Your rules would work the same except for damage and Concealability and the Sedgely is already not very concealable.

Here's a picture......

http://www.nww2m.com/2011/09/weird-w...h-a-hollywood-
connection/

Also note the rules for sawed-off shotguns fro p.106. Those don't contemplate barrels shorter than 8 inches. a shotgun with an effective barrel length of zero might be mostly a noise-making device.

There might be something in Tactical Shooting about even shorter barreled shotguns but it'll mostly be about how it doesn't work very well.

For real UT Gyrocs would be much more effective than shotgun shells as ranged weapons. Based off the Hold-out Gyroc they'd be more concealable too.

For melee weapons you could have something based off the Limpet Mine Dispenser.

However, if it just has to be shotgun shells and it has to be concealable and effective buy it as a gadget with cp and you'll get what you pay for.

The wall-walking boots are simply a Magic Item using the Wallwalker Spell from Magic. Geckp Gear from UT wouldn't work well enough.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
For real UT Gyrocs would be much more effective than shotgun shells as ranged weapons. Based off the Hold-out Gyroc they'd be more concealable too.
Here's the thing though. Gyroc is crap at point blank range. The character I'm thinking off is superhuman but well aware of her limitations and knows she won't go all "Love is Blue" on her enemies. Still, weapons in boots and gloves open up new possibilities in CQC. Krav Maga teaches you to, to paraphrase Martial Arts P.183, use "low-line [kicks] to disable the legs for a quick victory". Now use the kick as a diversion for a point blank shotgun blast. Or blast a foe using a Superfine Blade in the face as said foe is committed to their charge at the last possible moment. Instill paranoia in her foes since they never know which kick or punch is gonna pack a hell of a lot more power, and play mind games to get them to expect a shot while she goes for a grapple, or just place the shot at the moment they least expect it. Fire a blast at empty space in a grapple to eject a burning hot plastic case in her foes' faces. She has superhuman reflexes and agility (DX in the low 20s), genius level intelligence (17-ish IQ), abilities to hijack vehicles, that kind of things.

She's adventuring with Miss "I'll recruit all the mammals in New York for the invasion" and Miss "I can resurrect anyone who died in the last 47 seconds" I mentioned in other threads, along a few other superhumans, just to give you a sense of perspective, and will have to face superhuman foes. She's still as vulnerable to bullets and knives as anyone else, and knows it, so she's looking for any edge she can get against superhuman foes with a similar power level to hers.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Here's the thing though. Gyroc is crap at point blank range. The character I'm thinking off is superhuman but well aware of her limitations and knows she won't go all "Love is Blue" on her enemies. .
<shrug> I know Gyroc is relatively poor at PB range. That's why I specified ranged combat. I have no idea what the rest of your sentence means though.

"Superhumanity" opens up other questions though Striking St 25 + Karate at DX+2 + Striker (Arm) would do 2D+7. That's the same armor penetration as a 20 gage slug though not quite so much wounding. I haven't tried to figure any sort of realistic MinST for these glove weapons but it would be pretty high.

I'm still not really trying tos top you from doing this but I am saying that it's so grossly unrealistic that you ought to do it as cp-purchased Gadgets.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:22 AM   #10
Warlockco

Almost sounds like you want to go with an extremely cut down version of the "gauntlets" that Yang uses from RWBY.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote