Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Planetary Mass Computers

That would be more code bloat than what even Microsoft could accomplish, though I am sure that they will try their best.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #22
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That would be more code bloat than what even Microsoft could accomplish, though I am sure that they will try their best.
Given that Microsoft tries to build the browser into the OS and the ongoing move to writing programs in HTML and JavaScript that level of code bloat is probably obtainable and the system could probably run Crysis in it's browser.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Building it on a geologically inactive planet would be best, using the cold mass of the planet as a heat sink.

If a human mind is considered a Complexity 6 program, then a Complexity 33 system could run 2x10^26 minds. Which means you could have quadrillions of minds in a full-sensory virtual environment and have processing power left over.

It's use is fairly obvious.
IIRC, the “All Star” in Schlock Mercenary is just this, except it’s a stellar mass supercomputer. It’s been used over the last several galactic-extinction cycles to preserve what it can of each galactic civilization. It’s only saved a fraction of each population because it turns out most people don’t trust “The end is nigh” predictions, and forcing the issue creates what the All Star considers an unacceptably lossy rapture.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #24
ravenfish

Traditionally, isn't the primary use of such a computer to calculate the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Last edited by ravenfish; 11-04-2018 at 07:53 AM.
ravenfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #25
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Sadly, Windows 40000 is a complexity 32 program. Still, the graphics on Pong will be a little sharper.
LOL

Another possible configuration of such a computer would be a "Dyson shell" surrounding a star. Although maybe that would be several planetary masses.

For a solid, spherical planet-mass computer, how much space would need to be taken up by TL12 energy production? Could any portion of the waste heat be recycled into energy?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #26
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Traditionally, isn't the primary use of such a computer to calculate the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything?
You're about 20 replies too late for that. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
You're about 20 replies too late for that. :)
Just like the computer from the book.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #28
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
IIRC, the “All Star” in Schlock Mercenary is just this, except it’s a stellar mass supercomputer. It’s been used over the last several galactic-extinction cycles to preserve what it can of each galactic civilization. It’s only saved a fraction of each population because it turns out most people don’t trust “The end is nigh” predictions, and forcing the issue creates what the All Star considers an unacceptably lossy rapture.
Well, the problem with a stellar mass supercomputer is that you generally require superscience for it to function (which is very much a part of Schlock Mercenary). A planetary mass supercomputer is actually possible with our knowledge of physics, it is just extraordinary far from our capabilities. A stellar mass computer would be Complexity 38-39, any larger and it either ignites or compresses into a white dwarf.

A realistic civilization (or a superscience civilization without every miracle) could spread slowly throughout a galaxy and could convert existing planets into planetary computers (even most gas giants possess solid cores). Within a few hundred thousand years, even an STL civilization could spread throughout a sphere 1,000 ly in radius without difficulty, allowing it to convert millions of planets into computers. If the civilization wanted to preserve the aethetics or the ecosystems of the targeted planets, or wished to hide their existence from potential enemies, they could even appear to be natural worlds.

The Earth and Venus would be two potential candidates and, for all we know, they may both be planetary supercomputers. We may expand out into space, unwittingly following the footsteps of a much greater civilization, and would not know it until we started to dismantle planets (even terraforming may go unnoticed). If we were noticed though, they may possess sufficient 'primitive' technology to deal with surface threats, perhaps hidden within the local version of the KBOs.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #29
Donny Brook

Has anyone else ever had the impression that new paradigms in astro-physics might emerge at the pace a giant computer might render them in response to user investigation?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #30
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A realistic civilization (or a superscience civilization without every miracle) could spread slowly throughout a galaxy and could convert existing planets into planetary computers (even most gas giants possess solid cores).
How would a planet's plate tectonics affect the computer's parts, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Has anyone else ever had the impression that new paradigms in astro-physics might emerge at the pace a giant computer might render them in response to user investigation?
It seems like a plausible possibility.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote