Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-30-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
fisherro

Default Melee & Advanced Melee differences?

Reading through Melee & Advanced Melee again, it strikes me that Melee is not just a subset of AM. If I’m reading them correctly.

e.g. In Melee, to disengage, you don’t move at all during movement & move one hex during actions. In AM, you can shift one hex during movement and still move one hex during actions.

In Melee, an engaged figure can’t move to the engaging figure’s side hex without using the disengage action, but in AM they can.

Has anyone put together a list of all the differences to help people moving from Melee to AM? There’d be no need to cover the new stuff, but the existing stuff that changed would be helpful.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Melee & Advanced Melee differences?

They are distinct, yes. My friends and I preferred just about everything in Advanced Melee to the differences in Melee, so we mostly ignored Melee after we got Advanced Melee. However there are some players who preferred Melee for whatever reason.

Someone made a detailed comparison of all the printings of basic Melee & Wizard to each other, though I don't know if someone's enumerated the differences compared to Advanced Melee... I expect someone has...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
fisherro

Hmm... I’ve read a few things, here & elsewhere, that indicate that later editions of Melee had some changes. (e.g. 3 hex charge & attacks on disengaging figures) It seems like early Melee may have been closer to Advanced Melee than late Melee. Now I’m going to have to be on the look-out for earlier editions of Melee.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
larsdangly

I too used AM for all rules questions once it was published, even when playing Deathtest or Melee-like gladiatorial games. Who knows, but I suspect it was just small adjustments in the rules as the game line evolved rather than any intention to have Melee work differently in these respects. Anyway, I'll bet the two will be more consistent in the new editions.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote