Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
ParadoxGames

Default TFT Discord

Would it be poor manners to post a link to a TFT Discord chat server here? I don't wnat to be rude but don't know the protocol.

Thanks in advance.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
ParadoxGames

Default Re: TFT Discord

I guess with over 50 views and no objections, it wouldn't be any harm.

Here's the server: https://discord.gg/SwZBAQ There are channels for real-time TFT discussion, voice chat, and online adventuring, and a dice bot. Only thing missing is people.

CORRECTED LINK: USE THIS LINK instead. Sorry, everyone!
https://discord.gg/Z7AtdCe

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 08-18-2018 at 07:19 AM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

(late reply) No objections. It seems like a Good Thing, in fact.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
(late reply) No objections. It seems like a Good Thing, in fact.
Discord is amazing for casual interaction. It is poor for anything you want that's lasting, and horrid for things you need to keep track of.

Concrete examples: it's the cat's meow for real-time interaction with backers, Ask Me Anything, or casual "Hey, how would you handle this situation" chat. It's also good for the text side of online gaming, out of character chat, etc.

It is moderately OK for things like small-scale brainstorming if your user base is smallish. It's not BAD for playtesting actual-play style, as long as a record of your event in an organized session is not critical.

It is horrid for things like receiving errata (where you want to be able to check it off a list), rules-based playtesting or anything where you really want a threaded conversation, or anything requiring archival or lookup.

It can DO some of the things above, but it's not it's strong point.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Do enough people use Discord that we should consider doing an Ask Me Anything session? I personally like Discord and participate in a Lego-geek channel. Hands in the air if you'd come to an event like that, please. ParadoxGames, are you willing to host if this goes forward?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Do enough people use Discord that we should consider doing an Ask Me Anything session? I personally like Discord and participate in a Lego-geek channel. Hands in the air if you'd come to an event like that, please. ParadoxGames, are you willing to host if this goes forward?
I think this is a bit of "If you built it, they will come." If SJG throws out a permanent invite for an Ask Me Anything to the Discord link above and posts it in the KS updates, on this board, maybe in a DI, and hits other social media channels, then a lot of folks might show up, and some would stay, thus giving a real shot in the arm to the channel.

I would certainly drop an announcement on my blog, as well as Tenkar's Tavern, which has over 700 or 800 in it. That's a group that loves all things Old School, which includes TFT.

The nice thing about Discord is of course that it's web accessible, doesn't REQUIRE an app install, and so you can take it or leave it, so long as you're willing to create an account. It's also not Skype or the equivalent, which seems to rewrite my sound/audio preferences anytime I think the word "Skype."

Darn it, my sound is muted again.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I guess with over 50 views and no objections, it wouldn't be any harm.

Here's the server: https://discord.gg/SwZBAQ There are channels for real-time TFT discussion, voice chat, and online adventuring, and a dice bot. Only thing missing is people.
That link says expired :(
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
mook

So, after setting up a sister to the GURPS Discord, a Google spreadsheet for tracking "Looking for Group" games, and posting an announcement here a bit ago... Douglas pointed me to this thread from a day earlier lol. Sorry about that, I wasn't intending to encroach.

At the moment, though, I can't join the Paradox Games server (showing as an "Invalid invite"), so I've left the one I set up running. One way or another, there shall be real-time TFT chat!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
schoon

Expired for me too.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
mook

It's been 10 days, so I figure I'll forge ahead with the server I set up. The usual announcements have been made, it's been linked/integrated to the main Game Geekery site, etc.

Feel free to spread the word any places I may have missed, and I hope to see you around the server! (direct link in .sig, or see the home page first.)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote