Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #31
zot

Default Re: Does anyone else want more adventures like Master of Amulets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinK View Post
Have any of you played MELEE or WIZARD over an online tabletop?

My brother in Spokane and I in Fall City have tried one, hoping to start up a DEATH TEST or similarly structured MicroQuest.

The system we used already has MELEE and WIZARD setup. I was able to add counters, maps, etc. Kind of made the game into work, but we could see where more familiarity would make the experience better.
Yes, my friends and I have recently been doing that using copies of Google Slides I made, which I talk about here, for collaboration.

We put counters on the map and attach a comment to each counter for its stats, damage, etc. You can use image formatting in Slides to put drop shadows on counters and to tint them to your favorite colors. We also use orange squares with our initials on them as place-holder counters for discussing tactics.

We use notes in the slides to record room-based info and blank slides to draw maps on.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #32
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinK View Post
Have any of you played MELEE or WIZARD over an online tabletop?

My brother in Spokane and I in Fall City have tried one, hoping to start up a DEATH TEST or similarly structured MicroQuest.

The system we used already has MELEE and WIZARD setup. I was able to add counters, maps, etc. Kind of made the game into work, but we could see where more familiarity would make the experience better.
You know, I've always wanted to try this. I'm going to start a thread for discussion of TFT on "virtual tabletop" systems and solicit some suggestions from those of you who have done this.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
luguvalium

Master of Amulets was a microquest I had never played. Same with Barbarian Prince. Now that I've reviewed both I can see the appear of them and Grailquest:

They all have elements of travel driven by a quest for an object. Random and non-random encounters give an opportunity for the quest takers to improve themselves through experience and acquire objects or people that can help them along the way. These are elements can can be incorporated into any new adventures.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #34
Shadekeep

One of the finest solo games I ever played was Voyage of the BSM Pandora. I loved how the terrain played into the encounter rules, as well as the richness of the environments to explore. I am playing around with those ideas in a couple of settings, with a hybridised approach. There will be specific locations on the map with story paragraphs dedicated to them, and the rest will be travel hexes with encounters determined by terrain types and possibly time of day.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #35
Chris Rice

Not to put a damp rag on this idea but I'd just like to raise a voice for those of us who don't much like adventures of this sort. I don't do this to rubbish the idea, because I know many people like them and they were one of the USPs of the system, but I wouldn't like TFT Legacy to go entirely down this route. I'd far rather have new GM adventures, Campaign supplements and other stuff for group play than this sort of thing. Hopefully there will be room for both.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #36
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Not to put a damp rag on this idea but I'd just like to raise a voice for those of us who don't much like adventures of this sort. I don't do this to rubbish the idea, because I know many people like them and they were one of the USPs of the system, but I wouldn't like TFT Legacy to go entirely down this route. I'd far rather have new GM adventures, Campaign supplements and other stuff for group play than this sort of thing. Hopefully there will be room for both.
Nae worries, I've got an idea going in this direction as well. I don't believe in the monolithic approach. ^_^
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #37
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
One of the finest solo games I ever played was Voyage of the BSM Pandora. I loved how the terrain played into the encounter rules, as well as the richness of the environments to explore. I am playing around with those ideas in a couple of settings, with a hybridised approach. There will be specific locations on the map with story paragraphs dedicated to them, and the rest will be travel hexes with encounters determined by terrain types and possibly time of day.
I just finished reading the description and review, and it sounds wonderful (very Star Trekish too). I would be very interested in learning more about how they handle the generation (and exploration) of various terrain, and the biological specimens found therein. There could be some mechanics lurking in there quite suitable and useful for TFT sandboxing. Thanks for the post and link.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-18-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #38
fisherro

One thing I’d like to see in any programmed adventure is some additional help for the GM looking to run it as a GM adventure. Maybe along the lines of what Dave Arneson did for the Jade Jaguar in Different Worlds 46.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #39
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
One thing I’d like to see in any programmed adventure is some additional help for the GM looking to run it as a GM adventure. Maybe along the lines of what Dave Arneson did for the Jade Jaguar in Different Worlds 46.
I'm going to encourage that. Many of the solitaire settings would lend themselves well to this. My hope is to develop some programmed adventures as fast ways into a setting which is then expanded by a gamemastered adventure package. In turn the GM adventure package may have a number of GM-based or programmed spinoffs. Working on something like this myself right now.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #40
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
That's my plan with what I'm working on. There will be the solo adventure portion, plus the lore book with everything needed from the setting for a GM to run whatever they like there. Since the distribution mechanism is PDF, there isn't a need to constrain oneself to one or the other, as you can have as much content as the buyer will stomach.