Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #21
guymc

Default Re: Does anyone else want more adventures like Master of Amulets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Thanks Guy.

JK
Steve and I have talked about this sort of hex map resource with built in adventures since day one, and we already have authors pitching stuff in this vein to us. (I have one in the works myself and a second on the back burner.)

These aren’t anywhere near to bring products yet, mind you. Where we go after this depends on the final results of the Kickstarter and good hard looks at how viable TFT is in the long run. But so many people, from Steve and I on down, have talked about just this sort of thing that I have to believe we’ll try it in some form, somewhere soon down the line.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #22
ParadoxGames

My edition of TFT will get a lot of solitaire play. So more of these would be mint.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
Kirk

Even though covered elsewhere in the Forum, *Programmed Adventures* are not just for solo play, though they can more easily be used that way.

What programmed adventures *can* do is make the possibility of getting TFT to the table and played is that the wind up time is reasonable, and the challenge can be engaged numerous times IF the adventure is well-designed and playtested.

It takes *a lot* more work to GM a Tollenkar's Lair or a free form adventure, and to keep the players engaged. Programmed adventures are a set-piece challenge that almost anyone can prep with just the time it takes for the Party to design their go team.

IMO, what will keep TFT up front in the game cabinet are *well-written* and regularly released programmed modules that beginners and advanced can quickly crank up and play.

I personally prefer DT1, DT2, Orb Quest and to a lesser degree Security Station, Grail Quest style adventures, but there is room for various approaches, if done professionally and Cidri-like.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Steve and I have talked about this sort of hex map resource with built in adventures since day one, and we already have authors pitching stuff in this vein to us. (I have one in the works myself and a second on the back burner.)

These aren’t anywhere near to bring products yet, mind you. Where we go after this depends on the final results of the Kickstarter and good hard looks at how viable TFT is in the long run. But so many people, from Steve and I on down, have talked about just this sort of thing that I have to believe we’ll try it in some form, somewhere soon down the line.
That's great to learn Guy! I was saying Thank You for acknowledging your having read the post; as sometimes we post things and we wonder if they have been surveyed or evaluated, or if they are lost in a vacuum unread. I really appreciate knowing the time I take to outline a suggestion - good, bad, innovative, or wholly unservicable - has been read by you or Steve.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 07-28-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #25
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Even though covered elsewhere in the Forum, *Programmed Adventures* are not just for solo play, though they can more easily be used that way.

What programmed adventures *can* do is make the possibility of getting TFT to the table and played is that the wind up time is reasonable, and the challenge can be engaged numerous times IF the adventure is well-designed and playtested.
Completely agree. Programmed adventures could be played as a co-op game.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #26
Skarg

Master of the Amulets is a good idea, but I thought it needed more development to actually be compelling to play and replay. I did enjoy playing it, but I was too aware that I was just plowing through shuffled contents of a known type on a known map with random encounters, which didn't have much developing situation to be interested in except what amulets had been found and how damaged I was.

I agree that Barbarian Prince is much more interesting (and plays much better in TFT/GURPS than with its own crude combat/travel/wealth system).

Grail Quest was great, but suffered from a static always-the-same map (limits replay interest/challenge/discovery) and could use development in its random encounter generation (variety, challenge, setting-appropriateness, frequent bizarre knight stats), and wasn't really developed for ITL or mounted combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
Completely agree. Programmed adventures could be played as a co-op game.
The most fun I had with the TFT microquests was playing them co-op and/or co-op vs GM. In that mode, we particularly appreciated microquests that had continuity so we could try to get the same characters through DT, DT2, and OrbQuest.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Grail Quest was great, but suffered from a static always-the-same map (limits replay interest/challenge/discovery) and could use development in its random encounter generation (variety, challenge, setting-appropriateness, frequent bizarre knight stats), and wasn't really developed for ITL or mounted combat.
What about a growing character generation resource, like a series of books with tables organized by XP and type that programmed adventures could key into?

Every additional booklet could add replay value to the existing programmed adventures.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #28
JoeHartley

I have played a lot of my TFT solo with the MicroQuests and the Dark City Games adventures. I'd absolutely love to see more of them!

I've got my fingers crossed that Guy McLimore is following in Steve's footsteps and working to re-acquire the rights to GrailQuest. I enjoyed that one more than the rest of the original MQs, and recently had someone mention that the PBEM game I ran of it was their most enjoyable online gaming experience.

It's tough for me to find folks to game with these days, so I'm all for this sort of thing in the future.
JoeHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #29
ColinK

MicroQuests and other programmed adventures were great fun for me, my brothers and our gaming groups "back in the day" when TFT was young.

We mostly played co-op with me as GM and them running the party, so this seems like a convenient place to mention GMs want to play, too.

One of the best things about programmed adventures is you can trade off the GM duties from one room to the next.

We designed our own Death Test games and each of us ran the combat in "our" rooms. It's a little kludged sharing out your characters to the other players while you are GM, but that way everybody has a chance to test their latest evil GM ideas and still has fun.

Oh, and then there was our best evil GM idea.

Corridors are really just narrow rooms of varying length, but equally deserving of traps, locked doors, monsters, slimes (especially slimes!) and other encounters.

Best Death Test ever!
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #30
ColinK

Have any of you played MELEE or WIZARD over an online tabletop?

My brother in Spokane and I in Fall City have tried one, hoping to start up a DEATH TEST or similarly structured MicroQuest.

The system we used already has MELEE and WIZARD setup. I was able to add counters, maps, etc. Kind of made the game into work, but we could see where more familiarity would make the experience better.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote