Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
sparky00

Default Re: Flat Ogre question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Flat Ogrerthers unite!

I love the 3D units but the back hex overhang always bugged me. Is there any thought to making 3D 1 hex Ogres?
But this would require making the 3d Ogre tiny, which kinda defeats the whole premise of the game.

While I love the 1-hex flat ogres from the Nihon sheets for all-flat games, when using the 3D counters, I really like the big Ogres. Its fun and new players love it.

I would love some additional sheets of flat Ogres (either 1 or 2 hex) - they are great for air travel.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #22
Cat

The best solution is to go un-flat — miniatures on 3"–4" hexes!

I was originally aiming for 4" hexes, but settled on 80mm to compromise for smaller gaming spaces (i.e. being able to play at home and not just at conventions).
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #23
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
The best solution is to go un-flat — miniatures on 3"–4" hexes!

I was originally aiming for 4" hexes, but settled on 80mm to compromise for smaller gaming spaces (i.e. being able to play at home and not just at conventions).
You don't fly with just a carry-on, do you? :-)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #24
dwalend

Quote:
I was originally aiming for 4" hexes, but settled on 80mm to compromise for smaller gaming spaces
You know you can have alternatives on-site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn...i-20140402.jpg
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
You don't fly with just a carry-on, do you? :-)
Not when bringing a game to a convention!

My current dream is to bring a 28mm Sleepy Hollow game to Crisis 2019 in Antwerp. If I get the terrain and models ready in time and can sort out the finances and logistics, I'll also have to work on the packing crates to get it there and back safely.

Inspired by Desert Scribe's Monopolis, I started work on my own Laumergrad last summer. Buildings are all painted and ready. Spent several evenings making the large plastic stencil for the 4"+ hexes to fit the Hoegaarden hexagon beer mats. But recent gaming experience has shown that I really needed to downgrade to 80mm for more practical applications. Commissioned my friendly local laser-cutter to make a stencil for that sized hex grid. I should be getting it this Saturday and mat painting can then proceed.

Already have a full bolt of fabric-covered light neoprene on hand to cut into sheets just under 4' x 7.5'. With 80mm hexes, that gives a 17 x 24 grid; the original Ogre map is 15 x 22.

Can fit one mat on a 4'x8' table, or any number side by side across (3) standard 2.5' US folding tables commonly used at conventions. The bolt is about 51" x 1,000". The shipping weight for the bolt, plus a pair of 12" industrial upholstery shears, was 44 pounds!

I'm only planning on making (4) GEV style mats and (2) Ogre style mats which will only use about half the bolt. But buying the whole bolt was the same cost as buying 6 individual sheets (well, plus more shipping cost...). I'll still have the other half-bolt for future projects, and that makes me happy.
^,^
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Not when bringing a game to a convention!

My current dream is to bring a 28mm Sleepy Hollow game to Crisis 2019 in Antwerp. If I get the terrain and models ready in time and can sort out the finances and logistics, I'll also have to work on the packing crates to get it there and back safely.

Inspired by Desert Scribe's Monopolis, I started work on my own Laumergrad last summer. Buildings are all painted and ready. Spent several evenings making the large plastic stencil for the 4"+ hexes to fit the Hoegaarden hexagon beer mats. But recent gaming experience has shown that I really needed to downgrade to 80mm for more practical applications. Commissioned my friendly local laser-cutter to make a stencil for that sized hex grid. I should be getting it this Saturday and mat painting can then proceed.

Already have a full bolt of fabric-covered light neoprene on hand to cut into sheets just under 4' x 7.5'. With 80mm hexes, that gives a 17 x 24 grid; the original Ogre map is 15 x 22.

Can fit one mat on a 4'x8' table, or any number side by side across (3) standard 2.5' US folding tables commonly used at conventions. The bolt is about 51" x 1,000". The shipping weight for the bolt, plus a pair of 12" industrial upholstery shears, was 44 pounds!

I'm only planning on making (4) GEV style mats and (2) Ogre style mats which will only use about half the bolt. But buying the whole bolt was the same cost as buying 6 individual sheets (well, plus more shipping cost...). I'll still have the other half-bolt for future projects, and that makes me happy.
^,^
So what you're saying is, I need to up my game?

Please let me know how 80mm hexes work out...I've been waffling between 2 1/2" at the smallest and 4" at the largest for a couple months now, and it's holding my own Monopolis-inspired project back.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #27
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
So what you're saying is, I need to up my game?

Please let me know how 80mm hexes work out...I've been waffling between 2 1/2" at the smallest and 4" at the largest for a couple months now, and it's holding my own Monopolis-inspired project back.
Everyone should up their game, then we all have awesome games! ^,^

There will be photos as the project progresses.

I briefly contemplated going down to 2.5" to get more gaming area on a single 4' x 7.5' mat. But opted for a minimum of 3" after drawing out different sized hexes and placing Mk.III and Mk.V miniatures on them. Not only does the length of the vehicle fit better at 3" minimum, but it also leaves a bit of room at the sides of the hex to allow for a few buildings or trees alongside a road that can carry the Ogres.

Then crunching the numbers on how many hexes I could fit inside a 4' x 7.5' foot mat, discovered that I could go up to 80mm for just a little more scenic room in each hex without losing any hexes.

As I mentioned in a previous post, 7.5' is the width of 3 standard US folding tables, so that was my maximum preferred length. A friend who likes to play Ogre has a 4' x 8' gaming table, so keeping just under 4' will be the width.