Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: Star Wars: approach and effective TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
All of these would be fairly persuasive arguments for a conventional metal blade either retained from an earlier phase of the orders history or adopted as a training aid.

I am not so convinced by the notion that these carry over to a better than state of the art plasma torch dragooned into use as a personal weapon. If the campaign were running at TL 11^ or if the psychic powers were intact then maybe the calculation might be different but without one or both of these options they are just not appropriate.

The logical replacement, unless somebody can think of anything funkier, is probably going to be a conventional blade.
And gaming terms that's even a better choice. The _practical_ use of sword skills in a space opera context (once you omit the Force), is for use when you get crashlanded on the lost colony and have to spend months there and will run out of ammo before the whole business is over. A sword with a battery is counter-indicated.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Prince Charon

No real reason not to have both, though. One of the things that you get in the EU and the RPGs is lightsabres with variable lengths. So, you adjust the blade-length depending on whether you're using it as a plasma-torch, a germ-free scalpel, a 'universal key', et cetra, but you still have a mundane machete in the survival kit, and a survival knife on your belt.

Plus, for ceremonial purposes, and for intimidating mooks, the long glowy blade that cuts through armour and force fields just looks better than the more practical weapon.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Plus, for ceremonial purposes, and for intimidating mooks, the long glowy blade that cuts through armour and force fields just looks better than the more practical weapon.
A melee weapon that does 8D(5) is utterly, utterly practical compared to one that does maybe 2D Cut.. If it cuts in half machetes that try and Parry it it's even more practical than that.

Thank you but no,. I'm going to carry that machete's weight in extra batteries or even a folding solar set-up to trickle charge all of my electrical gear. Luke actually pulled something like a potable fusion generator out of his X-wing anyway.

Disallow lightsabers if you want to change Star Wars into Dull Wars but don't try and claim the superiority of machetes. :)
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavus Adolphus View Post
The problem is that the range is very low compared to projectile weapons. Why using a blaster with only 120 meters of range when you can use a railgun who has 3.000 meters of range?
I think you are confusing ratings of effective range with GURPS maximum range.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #25
Gustavus Adolphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think you are confusing ratings of effective range with GURPS maximum range.
Actually, I did a confrontation on two maximum ranges; the "1/2D effective range" of a standard blaster pistol is a poor 40 meters, according to SW databases. Wow.
Gustavus Adolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Actually, I did a confrontation on two maximum ranges; the "1/2D effective range" of a standard blaster pistol is a poor 40 meters, according to SW databases. Wow.
Again, I think these might be attempts to match rated effective ranges of real world weapons. The M9 pistol has a maximum effective range of 50 meters for example.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
Gustavus Adolphus

Well, only 120 meters of TOTAL range for a blaster pistol and 300 (100 fully effective) for a blaster rifle, I don't think it's so-advanced technology.

The Colt M16A2 rifle has an effective range on 400 meters for example. The BlasTech E-11 blaster rifle has 1/2D 100m, MaxD 300m. Very poor range for a war rifle, IMHO.
Gustavus Adolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
LokRobster

On Lightsabers: you have to have them. BUT, they are rare. You can't just have a factory and turn out production to equip an army.

This is easy to do, and explain: it requires being Force Sensitive to even be capable of making one, and special training to assemble it correctly. So why doesn't a Lone Jedi start up a custom line of hand-made Lightsabers and get rich? To get the training requires a Trainer, and presumably some kind of accompanying Vow or Disipline of Faith or Fanaticism that precludes such activity. That being said, there isn't anything actually stopping the Lone Ranger Lightsabers Limited business existing.... It's just not very likely.

Use of a "found" Lightsaber could occur, but it would not be out of genre convention to require a DX roll when used as a combat weapon to keep from accidentally chopping off your nose or leg! Using it as a handy door-opener seems to be pretty popular, though, for folks that get a Lightsaber but no skills to go with it.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Well, only 120 meters of TOTAL range for a blaster pistol and 300 (100 fully effective) for a blaster rifle, I don't think it's so-advanced technology.
Probably because they are basing it on the rated range for the actual (WWI or WWII era) weapon that the "blaster" prop is. At least that seems about right.

In GURPS just use GURPS stats. "Maximum effective range" is already handled by the Speed/Range table.

Edit: The Blas-Tech E-11 was actually a Sterling L21 with a rated effective range of 200 meters.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-06-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #30
Mathulhu

Quote:
I believe that is referencing d20 saga edition in which a slug rifle has a maximum range of 450 meters.

I mostly see star wars as to 7^. You have to leave out so many of the world changing effects that it is easier to describe it relatively to the world at the time it was filmed and then add the exceptions using super science.

Tags
armor design, blasters, star wars, ultra tech, ultra-tech