Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Star Wars: Methods for the Force

I use Divine Power with a power source similar to psionics and a completely new list of learned prayers. After I bought Psionic Powers, after reading one of the other Star Wars related threads, I've added skills for those advantages that need a roll to activate.

I use one 10 point talent for all Force skills, but also make the same 5 point talents you use available for those who want them.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachra View Post
The Force as Esoteric Skills
This is my completely untested shot at doing the Force as a series of Esoteric Skills, based on GURPS Martial Arts and some other things, including Magic as Psi.

I like this approach because it runs with the idea that the Force is a sort of amped up version of Wuxia. It also allows a lot of 'basic' ideas to be learned cheaply (after all, it seems like new Force Adepts pick up the basics pretty quickly in the series,) but mastery takes a long time and there's no easy route to it.

These are great - top work! This seems like a great way to model the force, especially in an all- or mostly-Jedi campaign, where balancing the force vs non-Force abilities isn't such a central concern.

I like this approach a lot!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Jachra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
These are great - top work! This seems like a great way to model the force, especially in an all- or mostly-Jedi campaign, where balancing the force vs non-Force abilities isn't such a central concern.

I like this approach a lot!
Thanks!

Yeah, they're a little harsh against non-Jedi, so the non-Jedi have to be okay with playing with Jedi with these rules or they need a point-boost. In a way, it's like the old D6 game, which wasn't terribly concerned with character concept balance either.

They're more meant to replicate 'okay, what seems a faithful depiction of the movie abilities?' to a certain degree than balance.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
The Force as Esoteric Skills
This is my completely untested shot at doing the Force as a series of Esoteric Skills, based on GURPS Martial Arts and some other things, including Magic as Psi.

I like this approach because it runs with the idea that the Force is a sort of amped up version of Wuxia. It also allows a lot of 'basic' ideas to be learned cheaply (after all, it seems like new Force Adepts pick up the basics pretty quickly in the series,) but mastery takes a long time and there's no easy route to it.

I did some rough calculations based on Time As Experience and it seems like this comes out pretty well. Sadly, I don't have these any more. Short version is that I accounted for the long-term intensive training of the Temple versus the more sporadic training of new initiates after the Temple was destroyed. The latter require a couple months of intensive training to get the basics, which seems fitting.
This is pretty darn cool. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Phantasm

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, they're a little harsh against non-Jedi, so the non-Jedi have to be okay with playing with Jedi with these rules or they need a point-boost. In a way, it's like the old D6 game, which wasn't terribly concerned with character concept balance either.

They're more meant to replicate 'okay, what seems a faithful depiction of the movie abilities?' to a certain degree than balance.
They seem to work for a Jedi-centric campaign, but I question a few things, particularly TK. The skill determines Basic Lift, so it's hard to say "I can only lift a stuffed eopie doll, but I can make that stuffed animal dance the Macarena while I do other stuff."

Also, my campaign is going to be a mixed group, with Force users in the minority judging by character concepts so far.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Jachra

I think this also works well for poorly trained Force Users, so long as you're restrictive about them learning more. A low level of competency isn't overpowering.

And you would roll the skill for any complicated uses of TK. I based it off the GURPS Psionics skills there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
Phantasm

Quote:
I think this also works well for poorly trained Force Users, so long as you're restrictive about them learning more. A low level of competency isn't overpowering.

And you would roll the skill for any complicated uses of TK. I based it off the GURPS Psionics skills there.
Follow my logic here.

I have a TK BL of 1 lb. That calls for a low TK skill level in your system. I haven't crunched numbers yet, but that's well below the average of skill 10.

I can have the doll do a complex dance (base skill roll) almost unconsciously (-8 to skill?) while splitting my concentration (-2 to skill per ability).

It's impossible to do this in your system. To get the skill up there to cover the TDMs, you'd need skill 20 at least, which gives a TK BL of 80 lbs.

If you're trying to duplicate the 3e Psionics system, remember that they used a Power Rank for intensity and skill for use, not skill for intensity and use.

Something to think about for later revisions.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
Jachra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Follow my logic here.

I have a TK BL of 1 lb. That calls for a low TK skill level in your system. I haven't crunched numbers yet, but that's well below the average of skill 10.

I can have the doll do a complex dance (base skill roll) almost unconsciously (-8 to skill?) while splitting my concentration (-2 to skill per ability).

It's impossible to do this in your system. To get the skill up there to cover the TDMs, you'd need skill 20 at least, which gives a TK BL of 80 lbs.
How do you get a TK BL of 1 from that?
Presume a Willpower of 13, 1 point in Telekinesis skill gives you a TK ST of 10, which is BL 20.
Ah, I see - no, your telekinetic strength is supposed to be stable at the level you purchased the skill at, it's not affected by the modifiers. I could clarify that.

Of course, an alternative would be allowing one to purchase TK separately, but I based this on the Push skill to a certain degree (which, if you'll recall, uses the higher of your basic ST or your Push skill). I never even considered that skill mods would increase or decrease your TK ST. That's an easy enough fix, I'll just clarify it to Base Skill.

However, it would be a good alternative to force players to buy a TK power instead, and then modify it with the esoteric skill, if you want to go that route in using this set.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
Phantasm

Quote:
How do you get a TK BL of 1 from that?
Presume a Willpower of 13, 1 point in Telekinesis skill gives you a TK ST of 10, which is BL 20.
Ah, I see - no, your telekinetic strength is supposed to be stable at the level you purchased the skill at, it's not affected by the modifiers. I could clarify that.
Ah, I think you misunderstand. I said I wanted a character with a TK BL of 1 lb who was able to soak those kinds of skill penalties. Low raw power, high skill at using the power. Basing TK BL off the skill won't permit that.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
Jachra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Ah, I think you misunderstand. I said I wanted a character with a TK BL of 1 lb who was able to soak those kinds of skill penalties. Low raw power, high skill at using the power. Basing TK BL off the skill won't permit that.
I'm not sure I've even heard of a Force User who had such minuscule lifting capacity, but I see no reason to dispermit it, aye. Yes, in that case, my rules would be dramatically unsuitable.

That seems like something Corran Horn might have, since he was horrendous at TK. Perhaps I could include disadvantages... except this is already pretty favorable in terms of points for force users...

Tags
psionic powers, realm magic, ritual path magic, star wars, the force