Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #371
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Oops--reading The Marches again...an ethereal can't manifest on Earth without a vessel? That complicates things, eh? I've been writing Huatl as visible to some in a gory and extreme form. I could say Song of Projection, but he didn't have time to Sing it and he has an interest in being seen only by certain folks.

Yeah, that puts me in a pickle, especially with Julia begging to be let out. Mentally I know what she looks/smells/feels like, but I don't know in game mechanics how she's going to put that across.

I'll think on it some, read on it some, but advice is very welcome.

Yes of course I can always 'house' things, but I prefer not to when I can help it.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #372
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Oops--reading The Marches again...an ethereal can't manifest on Earth without a vessel? That complicates things, eh? I've been writing Huatl as visible to some in a gory and extreme form. I could say Song of Projection, but he didn't have time to Sing it and he has an interest in being seen only by certain folks.

Yeah, that puts me in a pickle, especially with Julia begging to be let out. Mentally I know what she looks/smells/feels like, but I don't know in game mechanics how she's going to put that across.

I'll think on it some, read on it some, but advice is very welcome.

Yes of course I can always 'house' things, but I prefer not to when I can help it.
could rule that it's some effect of having been trapped on the corp realm. Or maybe they have a vessel that they are manifesting- does anything say that the vessel can't have some kind of property that keeps most from seeing it?
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #373
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
could rule that it's some effect of having been trapped on the corp realm. Or maybe they have a vessel that they are manifesting- does anything say that the vessel can't have some kind of property that keeps most from seeing it?
I really like this idea--he lacks the juice to make a solid vessel, but being so intimately familiar with violent death he's seen a lot of ghosts (eaten a lot of ghosts?). Ectoplasmic vessel? What I've been reading puts him, despite my best plans, as straddling a line between ethereal and/or ghost and/or demon. Or maybe Saminga watched Hellraiser one too many times...

I'll do some rereading over coffee and lay it down when I get back. I've got Julia (the Italian-speaking woman) nailed down tight, and the creature labelled "Hellhound" almost nailed. But this lack of vessels makes ethereals...well, easy to send to the Dreaming, which was not what I had in mind. (Mental note to look at Spirit Anchors again)

Do ethereal vessels go into null space like angelic ones?

-----Caffeinated---
Yep, I'm calling it an exotic vessel, built from observing violent ghost-creating deaths for an awfully long time. That vessel would fit in a jar...the other ethereals in there I'll have to do more reading, but I'm going with the pocket space concept unless canon is emphatically against it.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 12-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #374
RadLilim

Sorry about being MIA, work and holidays have been busy. Caught up now, no real action from Ash.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #375
Dalillama

I'll be out of town for a few days, so I may be posting irregularly.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #376
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
I'll be out of town for a few days, so I may be posting irregularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadLilim View Post
Sorry about being MIA, work and holidays have been busy. Caught up now, no real action from Ash.

It's that time of year--Merry Christmas, Happy (slightly late) Solstice, and otherwise Happy Holidays. I'll be enjoying my usual quasi-Saturnalia, looking for signs under rocks, watching the sunrise New Year's Day from the furthest east point that I can afford, and otherwise being a superstitious Fool, capital F.

Meanwhile, I saw this article. I thought pagans/magick folk were bad enough on their own. To find one in the Tea Party is just madness.

Dan Halloran

But really...did Glen leave the circle--and thus the door--open for Julia?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #377
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I'll add my apologies to the bunch -- besides spending the week getting things done before vacation and hosting family, I managed to throw my back out shoveling snow. I should be rejoining the action a little bit tonight.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #378
Dalillama

Quote:
But really...did Glen leave the circle--and thus the door--open for Julia?
Yeah. If things go right, he's saved effort, and if not, he gets to say I told you so.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #379
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I'm out of state until Wednesday for a wedding. See you all when I get back!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #380
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
It's that time of year--Merry Christmas, Happy (slightly late) Solstice, and otherwise Happy Holidays. I'll be enjoying my usual quasi-Saturnalia, looking for signs under rocks, watching the sunrise New Year's Day from the furthest east point that I can afford, and otherwise being a superstitious Fool, capital F.
Only three threads above--I needn't have worried. I felt I'd been neglectful and wanted to explain, that and to ask for a little help on one of my classes.

First, an explanation. I got a formal job offer for Kyushu (southwestern Japan for the geographically challenged) and it's been a long time and a lot of nail-biting coming. I have to break my current contract halfway in order to take it, and given how well Japan and Korea...well, bicker like siblings constantly...it's going to be a real tap dance giving notice. I've been advised to wait until I have a contract in hand to give notice, but the deadline is the end of this month.

Short version I've been way stressed, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Alas I'm teaching a class this week that's taking more effort than I thought. It's a refresher/fun class for gifted students, and the theme is story, song and dance. I found some old Superstars of Dance as an anchor, and I've taught my students Irish stepdance (about it, as well as how to do the 3-step), American breakdancing (history including James Brown, and how to do the moonwalk), and tomorrow we have Russia/Ukraine (ballet and Cossack dance). Each day has a story-song--Ireland "The Wind that Shakes the Barley", America "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and Russia "Peter and the Wolf".

I go into this detail because I'm expecting to have way too much time left on Friday, and I'm hoping you have a favorite song and/or dance. The best kind of dance is one I get can professional footage of as well as a lesson on a basic, non-floorwork step. A song should tell a clear story that says something about the culture it is from. (Looking at a capoeira video I did a couple years ago)

The students are supposed to teach me a Korean dance and story, but I can't count on that to fill two hours!!

Anyway, that's what I've been up to, tap-dancing both literally and socially. I'll recap and organize this weekend and should have our story rolling again by Monday.

The signs, for what it's worth, predict a year of hard work and high drama that should turn out well after all the fuss.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 01-04-2012 at 04:51 AM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in nomine