Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
Nemoricus

Default [DF] Beyond the Dungeon

I've seen a lot of discussion about how Dungeon Fantasy could be used to support more diverse adventures than straight-up dungeon crawling, if only it had some more stuff in it. So, that gets me wondering about how Dungeon Fantasy compares to other fantasy RPGs.

In particular, I'd like to hear people's views on:

1. What types of adventures would people want to run that Dungeon Fantasy either does not support or supports weakly?

2. What do other fantasy RPGs include in their core books that allows them to support those types of adventures? How do they compare to what Dungeon Fantasy has?

I ask for the focus on the core books because RPGs like Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons provide extensive setting support in their supplements, but their core books are much sparser. Also, people still spend a great deal of time creating their own settings for such systems, so having an 'official' setting is not necessarily required.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [DF] Beyond the Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
1. What types of adventures would people want to run that Dungeon Fantasy either does not support or supports weakly?
The obvious answer is anything that is really far from pseudo-medievalist dungeon-delving fantasy: contemporary realistic espionage, hard-sf political thriller, ect (and the answer to your second question is "basically nothing and at least GURPS as a whole covers those"). That's not exactly a useful answer, though. Did you mean, perhaps, "What kind of secondary-world fantasy adventures would people want to run..." or something like that?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The obvious answer is anything that is really far from pseudo-medievalist dungeon-delving fantasy: contemporary realistic espionage, hard-sf political thriller, ect (and the answer to your second question is "basically nothing; less even because at least GURPS as a whole covers those"). That's not exactly a useful answer, though. Did you mean, perhaps, "What kind of secondary-world fantasy adventures would people want to run..." or something like that?
If someone looks at Dungeon Fantasy and says "Hey, I'd like to run modern day spies with this" then that's a valid answer. My question is then: Why should Dungeon Fantasy support it?

But, given the rest of my post, I'm expecting that most people are trying to run fantasy games with it. Yes, that still does cover a lot of territory, but that's the point. I'm curious about what people want to run with Dungeon Fantasy and what gaps or challenges they find.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
demonsbane

Quote:
I'm curious about what people want to run with Dungeon Fantasy and what gaps or challenges they find.
Also there is a good number of DF sourcebooks published so far (not to speak of devoted Pyramid articles), and what isn't covered yet can be tackled with other GURPS sourcebooks, like Fantasy, Low-Tech, Martial Arts, City Stats . . . And even with sourcebooks from the other RPGs by means of conversion, if it's needed.

Now, some people has been mentioning rules for building, keeping and running castles and territories for instance.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 09-17-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammar
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
b-dog

I would like some books dealing with non European dungeons and towns. I would love to have some books for Middle Eastern DF, Asian DF, African DF and Native American DF.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would like some books dealing with non European dungeons and towns. I would love to have some books for Middle Eastern DF, Asian DF, African DF and Native American DF.
We have Middle East and Asian pretty well covered.
But Afrcian and Native American I would love to see.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
All of these could be handled with Pyramid articles. It's just skinning, and a few monsters. They'd be good articles for issues otherwise dedicated to these cultures.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
If someone looks at Dungeon Fantasy and says "Hey, I'd like to run modern day spies with this" then that's a valid answer. My question is then: Why should Dungeon Fantasy support it?
Because there were adventures where D&D characters ran around "our" world? City Beyond the Gate (Dragon #100) for example.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
Rasputin

Quote:
I've seen a lot of discussion about how Dungeon Fantasy could be used to support more diverse adventures than straight-up dungeon crawling, if only it had some more stuff in it.
Oh, I run wilderness adventures with some urban intrigue all the time. I'm not sure how much extra support there needs to be in Dungeon Fantasy, as much of that is in the GURPS Basic Set. I'd welcome an Urban Adventures supplement, but much of that is like Wilderness Adventures: there's generic stuff that should be in GURPS like dealing with crowds and law enforcement. (Much of Wilderness Adventures also made its way into After the End.)

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
dripton

The biggest gap I see remaining is city adventures. DF currently abstracts Town as The Place Where You Buy And Sell Stuff And Get Healed, which is fine for some games. But I can definitely see room for City Adventures book. And maybe also some expanded Town rules for people who don't plan to actually adventure there, but who enjoy a more detailed home base.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy