Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
cvannrederode

Default Wildcard skills and defaults

I have a fellow player who is looking at using a wildcard skill (we tend to call them bang skills after the ! at the end), and we use GCA, but I have question regarding how they are handled.

He's got the wildcard skill (say, Fist!) at a relatively low level, and is buying skills from inside the wildcard skill (such as Karate) over and above the wildcard skill. According RAW, we should be able to buy higher levels of Karate by spending the difference in points, much like buying from a default.

But GCAv4 doesn't seem to track this, at least not with the Fist! skill. Is this a known limitation?

Thanks,

C
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Wildcard skills and defaults

As I recall, that idea has been ruled as okay in recent years, but wasn't admitted (and may even have been mumblingly prohibited) earlier on. So GCA doesn't allow for it.

Editing the derived skills' Default parameters should be fairly straightforward.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
As I recall, that idea has been ruled as okay in recent years, but wasn't admitted (and may even have been mumblingly prohibited) earlier on. So GCA doesn't allow for it.

Editing the derived skills' Default parameters should be fairly straightforward.
We're going off of pages 5-6 of Power Ups 7.

After reading a few other posts here (after posting the above), I should be able to adjust the skills affected.

<15 years experience as a Software Engineer...GO!>

Edit: I went and did it as a quick test, and noticed that the defaults for Sword! are already done (at least for Broadsword. I suppose some of the other data files lack the defaulting (Fist! is in Supers).

From one software guy to another, I must tip my hat to Armin, heartily. GCA as whole is impressive, but that all the visible data for the skill updates the instant I pull focus away from place where I entered data...that's some serious integration for a program done by a big team of guys, let alone One GuyTM.

Last edited by cvannrederode; 12-18-2018 at 07:15 PM.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
From one software guy to another, I must tip my hat to Armin, heartily. GCA as whole is impressive, but that all the visible data for the skill updates the instant I pull focus away from place where I entered data...that's some serious integration for a program done by a big team of guys, let alone One GuyTM.
Thanks! My background is largely in financial planning software, so I kind of got into the habit of trying to keep things calculating and updating as-you-go whenever I can.