Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
phayman53

Default Re: [High-Tech/Ultra-Tech] Statting the HAL suit & the Trojan Ballistics Armor

Or, instead of using the Trojan suit, which may or may not have any real ability, you could always try and guess what the stats for this would be. It is being developed by MIT and is supposed to have a prototype ready by this summer and be fielded by 2018 (according to this article, I did not do extensive research). Liquid hardening armor sounds awesome, hope it works.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [High-Tech/Ultra-Tech] Statting the HAL suit & the Trojan Ballistics Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post

The suit is just silly as described- intended as a war suit. It might make hella motocross armor, though.
Racers tend to care a bit more about mass related speed than mega-safety. Otherwise they wouldn't be racers.
We have enough trouble trying to get people to wear helmets while riding Harley monsters around town.

My mother's husband was competitive in motocross back in the day. His left elbow is the only joint that hasn't been bent the wrong way at least once.
The need for speed isn't agreeable to the need for safety.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Or, instead of using the Trojan suit, which may or may not have any real ability, you could always try and guess what the stats for this would be. .
This article contains no technical details to work with. A suit of Maximillian plate could be called "bulletproof" because it would (probably) stop .32 ACP.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This article contains no technical details to work with. A suit of Maximillian plate could be called "bulletproof" because it would (probably) stop .32 ACP.
Yeah, I did more research after posting just because I was curious and found out that the article gives a false impression (most likely anyway), the 2018 date is rather optimistic, and so might the prototype date for this summer. Appearantly the liquid armor technology itself may be further off than the developers hope. That is, at least, one criticism of the project. Edit: (Anyway, I guess I assumed there would be enough to go on to make something up. The promo videos claimed bullets bouncing off, but that is not exactly scientific). Sorry about posting before I realized there was no data, not even claims, out there.

Last edited by phayman53; 06-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Or, instead of using the Trojan suit, which may or may not have any real ability, you could always try and guess what the stats for this would be. It is being developed by MIT and is supposed to have a prototype ready by this summer and be fielded by 2018 (according to this article, I did not do extensive research). Liquid hardening armor sounds awesome, hope it works.
Shear thickening fluids are a method of eliminating blunt trauma, but they probably won't allow ballistic cloth to stop rifle bullets at any reasonable thickness. However, I suspect Admiral McRaven may have been blinded by bafflegab and that it won't actually work.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Shear thickening fluids are a method of eliminating blunt trauma, but they probably won't allow ballistic cloth to stop rifle bullets at any reasonable thickness. However, I suspect Admiral McRaven may have been blinded by bafflegab and that it won't actually work.
Actually, the Talos is proposed to use Magnetorheological Fluid, which is behind shear thickening fluids in development, more complicated, and requires electricity to create a magnetic field, but I guess might be more promising as an armor strengthener. Hopefully they are right.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Novembermike

With any of these you're best off modeling it as +5 to +10 lifting strength and -1 to -2 DX for everything except fine manipulation. This stuff is still sci-fi so you have to fudge the stats from there but I would 100% always put the DX penalty in for these sorts of prototype suits. Other than that you can layer on armor, but not too much more than a soldier can carry.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlesuit, help needed, high-tech, modern firepower, ultra-tech