Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Ji ji

Default forced shapeshifting in place of uncosciousness

I don't find a good way to price an advantage (or an enhancement? Mmmh...).

I'm working on a racial template. It's a race of fey creatures which are, in basic form, a swarm of insects (there are slightly different tamplates for locust swarms, scarabs ones, moth ones and so one). This swarm has a hive mind and can shapeshift in a humanoid form. This is regular shapeshifting from native form (about 25 cp + 15 for shapeshifting in 0 pt racial template - human). This advantage has Uncontrollable limitation, because under heavy stress these feys can lose control and suddenly revert to swarm form (shapeshifting from human to swarm takes one ready maneuver while going from swarm to human takes 10' of concentration).

Obviously, swarm being the native form, when these feys goes unconscious in humanoid form they reverts to swarm. My idea is that this unconsciousness affects their (hive) mind, but the swarm itself doesn't go unconscious; it simply become bestial and primeval and tent to fly away. What kind of advantage could simulate this (or, if using a custom advantage, how to price it)?

Note: this isn't Supernatural Durability. There's no need for specific threat to kill the swarm, apart form being able to inflict enough injury to a Diffuse one (and this is already covered by Diffuse advantage, in the template). Moreover, the forced reversion to swarm doesn't mean that the fey remains conscious; it means that while unconscious the insect bodies acts on their own as a whole, fleing away.

Last edited by Ji ji; 12-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote