Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
DSumner

Default Your favorite Official Vehicle Design

Over the years, CW has seen a lot of "official" vehicle designs published, of the bunch what was your favorite and why?

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Your favorite Official Vehicle Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Over the years, CW has seen a lot of "official" vehicle designs published, of the bunch what was your favorite and why?
Depends on the job -- here's what I had at "43's Garage" [my solo _running a Truck Stop campaign]:

Duelling Car (for advertising at the arena): _Iron Horse_; later _Python_. (Good all-around designs.)

Daily Driver: _Defender_; later _Messenger_. (Much the same as above; the later choice allowed passengers and cargo.)

"Ash-and-Trash" Hauler: _Micro_; later _Longhorn_ (for those out-of-the-way loads :) ). (Decent armor and firepower for the loads carried.)

Heavy-Lift: _Wolverine_/_Collector_; later _Magnum_/_Brimstone_. (Rolling bricks with hefty throw-weights. >:) )

Airborne: _Gnat_; later _Fly_ w/pontoons. (Useful enough for air-recon and light fire-support.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
owenmp

The Piranha is one of my favorite designs. I started playing Car Wars with the purchase of a set of 5d6 and the two Car Wars Adventure Gamebooks "Battle Road" and "Fuel's Gold." I had a lot of fun driving a Piranha in "Battle Road."

With power plant upgrades, accessory additions, and extra armor, the Piranha is still an effective courier vehicle with current rules.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
juris

The Defender and the Moose were the greatest IMO - both are easy to upgrade with advanced tech to be even better. Honorable mention to the Max (once it's legalized with a one-space turret).

Flavor wise Vlad the Impala wins for the coolest name ;)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
J. Roberts

I still love the Hammer from VG1 - twin RRs to the front, a turreted VMG to cover the back and sides, decent armor - just a solid design.

I would never drive this one, because I like to have lots and lots of armor between me and the incoming gunfire, but I love the idea of the King Dragon.
J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
Suncrush

I've just gotten back into the game after a 16-year hiatus (moved, lost my playgroup, life moved on.)

So, now I'm introducing new people to the game with the "Killer Kart Amateur Night" duel, and developing quite a soft spot for that wimpy little Kart.
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
43Supporter

Question for the group re the OP: Exactly what constitutes "stock"? Is "stock" "anything printed in an official publication", or "just the first vehicle description listed in a product", or something else?

I ask this because, as an example: If I take a _Hotshot_, and use the MD and MG-changeout options, I can have a _Hotshot_ with 5 MGs, 1 MD, and *no* FTs; and yet, depending on how one defines such things, it's still a "stock" design.

Or the _Scorcher_ and _Slammer_: Same body, chassis, suspension, powerpack, tires, and crew; but *completely* different weapons loadouts, so much so they go by different names. But, again, depending on definition, the _Slammer_ may, or may not, be "stock" (as it's listed second in _VG1_).

This is the Recovering Rules-Lawyer speaking -- I see other commenters mentioning upgrades and alterations, which would seem to defeat the definition of "stock"; I just want to know where folks see the "line" being drawn. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote