Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
JimTullis

Default Re: Uncle Albert's Catalog and CW6E card sizes

Ok, sorry to hear that official binders are not currently feasible.

Just to be sure I still have the correct card dimensions, you are still using Mini European (44x68 mm) (Munchkin Treasure Hunt size), correct?
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
JimTullis

According to Bob Mosey and his excellent spreadsheet if you get all the sets there are about 1500 cards in total. (Not Counting Damage Decks). That is about 375 options per player.

I have currently identified the following Card TYPES...

Weapons (standard, dropped, linked, turreted),
Structure, Coating, Accessory, Crew (possibly Pedestrians), Gear,
Scenarios, Playmat Cards, Road Tile Cards,
AND If they don't exist I will probably make some for terrain.

Has anyone identified card types I haven't OR clarified that a type I listed doesn't exist?
Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
JimTullis

My Plan for Card Storage and Sorting is to replicate the First Uncle Albert's catalog in binder format.
The binder I've chosen is is the Staples “Better Binder” line. It is one of the few binders that have enough width that sheet protectors and card pages do not overhang the edge and get crumpled. I'm choosing Orange due to the color of the old catalog, but you could also choose to do one binder for each base color. I'm putting in sheet protectors with indexing information and some of the old Catalog Text to divide the cards. I'm using tabs on the sheet protectors to index it.

I'll print a copy of the Catalog Cover on Orange paper for the Binder Cover.
Inside will be a copy of the cover on white paper, with the first page of the catalog on the reverse, followed by an Index sheet with the Uncle Albert's story (p38) and his Guarantee (p40) on the reverse of that.
After that come the SECTION DIVIDERS, each one has an Index List on the front and a description of the section on the reverse.
I've created a section called Chassis where I was planning on keeping car body cards if they came out. I will probably put Structure Cards here. Then come the four major divisions from the original catalog.
The descriptive section headings for Offense, Defense, Accessories, and Personal Items all come from the catalog.
I've created sections for Job Seekers (crew/pedestrian cards) and Now Hiring (scenarios/terrain features)

Currently the only pages I have found to store the cards are UltraPro Top Loading Mini American, they will hold sleeved Mini European cards with a slight overhang at the top. I tested them with a Munchkin Treasure hunt Card in a Fantasy Flight sleeve. BGG has an article on bindering GloomHaven where these are discussed for holding Items cards. Ultimate Guard makes a nicer double sided sheet but it will not hold Mini European cards because it is a side loading sheet.

Staples 1.5" 3-Ring Better Binder, Orange (13467)
Avery Side Insert Sheet Protectors, Diamond Clear, 25/Pack (15935-CC/76001)
Avery Self-Adhesive Tabs with Printable Inserts, 1", Clear, 25/Pack (16221)

UltraPro 16-Pocket Platinum Page with 41 mm x 63 mm Pocket (# 84781)
1-Pocket Platinum Page with 8-1/2" X 11" Pocket (# 81419) (would also work for section dividers)

I'm partial to Fantasy Flight Sleeves which I feel are comparable to Dragon Shield in quality.
Arcane Tinmen make a Board Game sleeve line which are slightly less heavy than their Dragon Shield line.
Their Mini European sleeves are called “Small”, their “Mini” sleeves are Mini American.
Since you probably won't be shuffling the Build Cards, the Arcane Tinmen sleeves are probably good enough.
I would suggest the Fantasy Flight for the Damage Decks though, and will probably stick with them for everything for consistancy.

Fantasy Flight Supply Mini European Board Game Sleeves (FFS02)
Arcane Tinmen Board Game Non-Glare Sleeves: Small (AT-10424 )

UltimateGuard now make a “deck box” that will hold about 60 sleeved Mini cards (either continent).
I'll probably use one of these for the damage decks.

Ultimate Guard Mini Card Case 75+ (UGD010491)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Magesmiley

I've been pondering a slightly different problem myself, but related to cards and the tokens.

Specifically portability and convention usage.

I've been around long enough to recall the issues with the speed and handling trackers and how easy it is for those were to fly away. The 6E cards probably are better, but they aren't terribly portable still. And given my massive layouts, table space is at a premium.

For my 4E convention games, I typically issued players a clipboard with what they needed. Which helped minimize space and was really helpful when their car drives around to the far side of the arena.

The cards make this a tad more difficult to do, not to mention my strong dislike of arm bumps and the like. I think I have a plan that I'm going to experiment with.

I'll be sleeving the cards first. This will help protect them from convention wear and tear. Then I'll attach a magnet (right now, I'm thinking something roughly a quarter of the size of a business card) to the card sleeve. I'm looking at some small whiteboards - I'm thinking 11x17 should be plenty large enough. This gives a surface I can attach the cards with the magnetic sleeves to.

As sleeves aren't standard on games, but something that a lot of gamers use, it should be pretty clear when running events and demoing that they don't come with the game.

That still leaves the dashboards. Obviously a magnetic backing will let them stick to the whiteboard. I'm still trying to come up with something for the tokens on them though.

That still leaves the dashboard, which I'm still considering how to do.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #15
JimTullis

MageSmiley, two binder pages side by side would be about 11×17. If you trim off the binder holes and glued them to a backing they could hold the cards. You can set the Dashboard in the center. This would give you a border about 8 cards wide and 4 deep. If you sleeve the cards upside down and slot them in the sheets the will be well protected and only move when you want them to.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #16
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
That still leaves the dashboards. Obviously a magnetic backing will let them stick to the whiteboard. I'm still trying to come up with something for the tokens on them though.
Yeah, it's too bad that the final dashboard wasn't like one of the ones they had in prototype. They were self contained in that there were dials and clock-like hands to indicate status.

Obviously those would be WAY more expensive to produce as depicted - probably a bit less in production but still more than the "final" ones shown.

Magnets on the sliders on the dash might work depending on the thickness of the dashboard and the strength of the magnets.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:03 AM   #17
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Magnets on the sliders on the dash might work depending on the thickness of the dashboard and the strength of the magnets.
Unfortunately, some (or all?) of the sliders are double sided. You can't use a 2 magnet system due to polarity issues. What might work would be a thin sheet of steel sandwiched between the two layers of the dashboard and a magnet hidden in the slider.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Unfortunately, some (or all?) of the sliders are double sided. You can't use a 2 magnet system due to polarity issues. What might work would be a thin sheet of steel sandwiched between the two layers of the dashboard and a magnet hidden in the slider.
The large ones aren't double-sided. It's the armor ones are the ones I've been pondering in particular, as they flip over.

I might be able to do something by splitting the sliding counters in half to sandwich some steel between and beefing up the magnets under the dashboard.

Maybe. I'm still not too keen on splitting the components like that though.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The large ones aren't double-sided. It's the armor ones are the ones I've been pondering in particular, as they flip over.
What's on the flip side? They look like they could be easily duplicated eliminating the need to split the actual ones.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #20
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
According to Bob Mosey and his excellent spreadsheet if you get all the sets there are about 1500 cards in total. (Not Counting Damage Decks). That is about 375 options per player.
Jim, can you link to Bob's excellent spreadsheet? I have one from early on but it didn't list card quantities or anything like that.

EDIT: I found it in the Comments finally.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vGwYVvdjs/edit

Quote:
I have currently identified the following Card TYPES...

Weapons (standard, dropped, linked, turreted),
Structure, Coating, Accessory, Crew (possibly Pedestrians), Gear,
Scenarios, Playmat Cards, Road Tile Cards,
AND If they don't exist I will probably make some for terrain.

Has anyone identified card types I haven't OR clarified that a type I listed doesn't exist?
From what I can see, you've gathered them all.
I wouldn't mind seeing how many of each, but I'll probably have to wait for that. (A card list is probably too much to hope for at this stage).

Last edited by MIB.6361; 06-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote