Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #41
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Misc. Spell questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherBill View Post
If a Blur spell is cast on an Illusion (or an Illusion cast duplicating a blurred figure) does the Blur affect attempts to disbelieve?
My opinion: You are disbelieving that there is a figure (illusion) there, not what he has on him, including Blur.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #42
hcobb

Can you disbelieve a figure in a shadow hex that you haven't seen?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #43
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can you disbelieve a figure in a shadow hex that you haven't seen?
Not if you've never seen it, because it wouldn't make any sense for your character to disbelieve something they don't know exists.

However I don't think it's defined whether you need a line of sight to disbelieve something you saw before but now can't see.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #44
hcobb

Does a single silver Cestus impede spellcasting?

If you face an opponent with two weapons then he's probably not a wizard as at least one of those wouldn't be his staff.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #45
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Ah, interesting observation. So if you want expert-level club ability, you'd need to learn Ax/Mace and then Ax/Mace(/Club) Expert.

What version of Missile Weapons are you reading that says it breaks down by type of missile?
no. If you want go be an expert in club you just take expert ax/mace. Unlike quick draw which is per weapon talent and you need quick draw club, quick draw mace, etc
Old 10-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #46
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
no. If you want go be an expert in club you just take expert ax/mace. Unlike quick draw which is per weapon talent and you need quick draw club, quick draw mace, etc
In order to take Ax/Mace Expert, it seems to me you need to first know the Ax/Mace talent. I'm looking at:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL PDF preview page 41
Weapon Expertise (3). Expertise is a separate talent for each Weapon talent.
[...]
Prerequisite: appropriate Weapon talent, DX 12 or more.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #47
The Wyzard

Man, if somebody wanted to take Expert in clubs, my instinct is to go ahead and let them. Would it break the game in any way?
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #48
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Man, if somebody wanted to take Expert in clubs, my instinct is to go ahead and let them. Would it break the game in any way?
Not really... it's mainly just semantics and what we imagine makes sense as far as what Expert and Master talents represent. Is it Club Expert or Ax/Mace/Club Expert, and do we care that Expert lists a weapon talent as a requirement, and if we think it's Ax/Mace/Club Expert, can Bubu learn that without learning Ax/Mace, and then if they later learn Ax/Mace, they go from no ax skill to being an expert in one step?

It just reads to me as-written as no one can learn Expert or Master without learning the corresponding weapon talent first. Just because clubs need to talent to use and are listed on the weapon table along with axes and maces, does not say to me that you can therefore learn Ax/Mace Expert without learning Ax/Mace first.

It seems to me more like a consistency problem with clubs than a reason why you should be able to ignore the prereq. I'd be more inclined to say you could in theory learn Club Expert without a prereq, but that it's a separate talent from Ax/Mace Expert.

(Also I'd apply my usual thinking to learning talents - that it takes time and circumstances and is much easier with a trainer. If you don't have access to any Club Expert teacher, it means you're inventing your own expert ability to learn it, which is harder than being trained - whatever that means to the GM, now that the rules say you should just let people "have been studying it all along" when they choose to spend XP to learn something.)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #49
hcobb

What is my two years of training to move from club to mace spent doing?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #50
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What is my two years of training to move from club to mace spent doing?
A mace is a metal club. If someone trained you for two years to move from club to mace, I want to know how much money they swindled charged you?
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote